Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mysterious

oldbastard

Hi all, just registered.

I'm now the very modest owner of a car that is perfectly suited to life in the dutch traffic (jam) system, a 1989 Starlet automatic. I was fed up of the stop-start routine, and thought it time to do something about it before my left thigh muscle became too over-developed.

Anyway, it neeeded some love and attention, this first thing being the carburettor, which was a gummed-up and unlovely thing, now it works properly and the sparkplugs are the right colour.

The problem is, it's reluctant to start when warm. I've checked the compression, that's ok. Sparks are ok too, but if I churn it for more than 5 seconds, the plugs get wet. I can just about start it when warm by flooring the gas pedal, and it just about splutters into life, coughing out a monstrous cloud of unburnt fuel as it does so.

cold starting is no problem, and the colder, the better.

I've my suspicious eye on the wax thingy on the side of the carburettor, whatever it's doing, it's doing too much.

Anyone had experience of this, or could offer some clues?

Possibly the automatic choke not working properly? perhaps changing it to a manual one might help.

Possibly the automatic choke not working properly? perhaps changing it to a manual one might help.

not really an option, but I might be able to defeat the wax capsule thing and rig a cable to open the choke mechanism manually - or is that what you meant?

From my brief look at the carb, I see no adjustment screws for mixture anywhere, it's all fixed jets. So I'm perplexed why it should be giving too much fuel - I'd have thought the thermal expansion of wax would be pretty much fixed, but it's the best place to start, I guess.

It was my understanding that when the engine gets hot the wax melts and releases the choke.. if this doesn't happen the choke stays on and you can get the problem your getting... I'm sure manual choke kits are available in a universal fitting... someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

have you tried your local Toyota Dealer or even a good motor factors. Carb repair kits are still quite readily available..... or at least they are in the UK.

Good luck

Rich

have you tried your local Toyota Dealer or even a good motor factors. Carb repair kits are still quite readily available..... or at least they are in the UK.

Good luck

Rich

That's a good steer. Meanwhile I am running it with the auto choke disconnected....what fun..... :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links