Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Alignment / Tracking

kenty

Hi guys,

could someone please tell me what the difference is between wheel alignment and tracking???

also what is involved in both processes?

any help is much appreciated!

thanks guys!

Ross

"tracking" usually implies adjsuting the angle the wheels toe in and out, when viewed from above. Wheel alignment implies a full global geometry setting covering all adjustments from all angles.

Tracking is the front toe setting whilst alignment can in some cases be described as the same thing, depends where you go. A lot of places will tell you that you need your tracking and/or alignment done... meaning the toe settings adjusted and your front wheels set in a direct line with the rears, this centers the steering wheel, while other places will class alignment as a full global geometric check which also involves the castor and camber of all four wheels (where applicable), it checks around 15 different angles. All you need to do is ask exactly what the garage will be doing when you are getting anything adjusted.

A full wheel alignment check will cost you about an hours labour, £60-£80 as all the angles on the geometry are checked (toe in/camber/caster etc) It is usually done on an infra red or similar machine to record very acuratley

Tracking involves just checking the toe in/out and is usually done with a cheap set of gauges, (don't mean to offend anybody but the equipment is usually basic) so the cost is minimal

Kingo :thumbsup:

£380 at a mercedes dealership lol

£380 at a mercedes dealership lol

FFS :D:

Will have to put our prices up!

It's certainly worth shopping around.. I can get geometry check/adjustment done for £50.. but like has been said it can get expensive. Normal tracking varies between £15 - £25 depending where you go and what type of equipment is used.. best to go to a place that uses lasers.

• 1 month later...
A full wheel alignment check will cost you about an hours labour, £60-£80 as all the angles on the geometry are checked (toe in/camber/caster etc) It is usually done on an infra red or similar machine to record very acuratley

I've been quoted around that price from my local Toyota dealer for a full wheel alignment check. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone can clarify.... I know the toe in can be adjusted, but can camber/caster be adjusted on a Yaris? Otherwise you're paying all that money for checks but no adjustment!

If your camber or caster is out and is not adjustable, it could indicate that something has been bent, this on it's own is worth knowing and could be a simple fix.. on the other hand it could indicate a bent rear axle, in which case an expensive fix.

I'm sure the Yaris isn't adjustable at the rear, not sure on the front.. if not, there is the possibility that a camber kit is available.

Hi, I used to own a Tyre/Exhaust depot and we did 'Wheel Alignment' I had 'Laser Machine' cost me about £4,000, full 4 wheel alignment, takes about 20mins to do, we used to charge £15, you could also check the caster/camber angle if the machine was telling you it had a problem aligning. I used to do about 20 a week. Seems some of these main dealers over-state the work involved and rip customers off. You can tell the problem with a vehicle just by inspecting the tyres and worn tyres on the edges are not always the 'tracking' a good garage should know what is causing the problem, but do they?

Hi, I used to own a Tyre/Exhaust depot and we did 'Wheel Alignment' I had 'Laser Machine' cost me about £4,000, full 4 wheel alignment, takes about 20mins to do, we used to charge £15, you could also check the caster/camber angle if the machine was telling you it had a problem aligning. I used to do about 20 a week. Seems some of these main dealers over-state the work involved and rip customers off. You can tell the problem with a vehicle just by inspecting the tyres and worn tyres on the edges are not always the 'tracking' a good garage should know what is causing the problem, but do they?

It depends what type of equipment is used, if its the type where you clamp off each wheel and centralise the heads of each wheel clamp, and centralising the steering wheel itself (often not done with some equipment) it will take you 20-25 minutes to set up the equipment without making any adjustments. Newer equipment is easier to handle but to do a proper check is not a two minute job. You must have laser eyes yourself if you can tell whats wrong just by looking at the tyre, if your eyes are that good we shouldnt need any equipment.........should we? Looking at the tyre is part of the process for any alignment issue, in some cases, it is not an alignment problem by itself, but a combination of factors including damaged suspension, damaged tyres, incorrect alignment, or a combination of all.

It depends what type of equipment is used, if its the type where you clamp off each wheel and centralise the heads of each wheel clamp, and centralising the steering wheel itself (often not done with some equipment) it will take you 20-25 minutes to set up the equipment without making any adjustments. Newer equipment is easier to handle but to do a proper check is not a two minute job. You must have laser eyes yourself if you can tell whats wrong just by looking at the tyre, if your eyes are that good we shouldnt need any equipment.........should we? Looking at the tyre is part of the process for any alignment issue, in some cases, it is not an alignment problem by itself, but a combination of factors including damaged suspension, damaged tyres, incorrect alignment, or a combination of all.

Typical main dealer syndrome, i was in tyres for 20 years and I said I could tell from looking at the tyre what the likely problem was and if my fitters took 20 mins to set up the equipment i would suggest he goes and gets a job at a main dealership, if you want to charge up to £100 for what is a simple adjustment, then go ahead, what do you do if the alignment is not out, after setting up, i bet you still charge them, i would love to visit all you 'experts' with a range of tyre problems and see how well trained your fitters really are, it's about time the public stopped paying for your big signs and posh waiting rooms, of course this argument will never finish as long as the poor old public are hoodwinked by psuedo technical terms they don't understand, that's my last word on the subject!!!

that's my last word on the subject!!!

Thanks for that, we wont have to put up with your quicker fitter drivel any longer then :D:

My point before you so rudely jumped on your high horse was to point out that a full geometry check includes plenty more than sticking a set of tracking gauges on your car and saying, there you go mate, your all sorted. I would defy anybody, including you and your magic piece of equipment, to set up (properly) and adjust toe, and camber adjustment in 20 minutes. You will note of course in my earlier reply that I did say it would be likely to be £60-£80 depending on a dealers labour rate, not the wildly, plucked from the air, £100 rant that you make. Most modern cars do not have any adjustment for camber/caster, in that case, it is more common for damage to suspension or the tyre itself to be the problem

why do my front wheels vibrate loads when i go a "bit" fast on the motorway? like 80+? I know I'll get ***** for going that fast but its just a question on summat I've noticed.

Vibration through the steering wheel is usually a front wheel balance problem, vibration in the seat of yer pants is rear wheel balance. On budget tyres, you often find they will be OK at lower speeds but are not up to the job at higher motorway speeds. Tyre/Balance would be my first point of call. Damage to the tyre wall/tread can throw up some unusual driving charecteristics too

cheers moff and kingo!

Lol i need like 3 new tyres i think.

One is flat, one is bald and i can't remember what is up with the other one, lol need to get it sorted soon :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links