Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Not Holding Charge

matty_aygo

BAscily on my Mums aygo (used to be mine lol) The Battery doenst seem to be holding charge. It started a few weeks ago when she went on holiday for a week and came back and it was dead. Then she hasnt been well so hasnt driven in about 5/6 days and Yesturday went to start the car and it was dead.

The Battery is almost 2 years old (new with the car in Jan 06) it used to have a full sound system in it but now only has a 200watt amp in but power is not drawn directly from the Battery..

New Battery needed?

Needs a long charge?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Matty.

Have the Battery tested at a knowledgable garage.

It's definately possible that the Battery is dying,

especially if it's used heavily, like with short journeys...

Test for leakage current when the car's standing - an accessory such as the boot light may be staying on and draining the Battery.

If Battery condition is poor, consider buying a good Battery charger that can condition the battery rather than just charging it. I've had batteries that appeared to be completely finished come back to life after charging them with my CTEK. Also great for cars that don't get used much as you can hook them up to the charger and leave them on charge.

an accessory such as the boot light may be staying on

Aygo doesn't have a boot light (at least not from the factory)...

• 3 months later...

Dear Matty,

My Aygo will be 1 year old in a month and a half. In January I fould it completely dead and called Toyota assistance who came and started it up with jumber cables. I took it to my Toyota dealer who checked it overnight and replaced the Battery (all under warranty which is 3 years). Yesterday it did not start again and I called Toyota asistence which came and gave me a start with jumber cables. Now its at the dealer for a check.

The original Battery is downsized to reduce costs but in my opinion does not stand-up to be stationary for a week. I made it clear that I'm not happy having a new car less than a year old leave me standing twice.

I'm in Turin, Italy and my aygo has just over 15000km. Over the past 5 months I've been using it less and mostly in the city (I'm using it once a week).

I'll let you know what they find and do.

Maybe you should refer to Toyota as your aygo is still under warranty.

ciao,

Nick

Take it to Toyota, they will do a Battery health check and give you some feedback.

Also can i just ask about the amp thats in the car, you say it doesnt take its feed directly from the Battery....where is it connected too then? As i always thought (and fitted) that amps are connected to 12v Battery direct and the headunit gives a remote feed to the amp to switch it on when the headunit is turned on.

Mart.

Possibly, though you can also connect an AMP via a Power Cap or an Entertainment Battery to give it a more local source of power, and to smooth the load on the main electrics. But your alternator still has to supply the power to keep everything running one way or another.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links