Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Range

david hunt

Hi

This is my first post to the Toyota Owners Club.

I took delivery of a T180 3 weeks ago and am running it in as carefully as i can. Fuel economy is gradually improving but I am exremely confused about the numbers on the computer display.

I filled the vehicle full with fuel and I remember the average fuel consumption just before fill up, and after arounf 300 miles of driving,was 40 mpg. On a 55 litre tank the range should show around 450 miles. It actually showed 370 miles - after a further 50 miles - and with the fuel indicators on the display still all lit the the range is now 320 miles. Does anyone understand how the fuel range is actually calculated. Is it to fuel run out or to the fuel warning light coming on and is the average fuel consumption used based on the last indicated or some other number.

I know its a bit obsessive but I like to know these things.

Hi,

I have got the same readings on mine. Computer range shows some figures unrelated to anything, but that is common thing in most cars/models. The best way to check the real fuel consumption is to fill the full tank and compare to milage done.

Hi

This is my first post to the Toyota Owners Club.

I took delivery of a T180 3 weeks ago and am running it in as carefully as i can. Fuel economy is gradually improving but I am exremely confused about the numbers on the computer display.

I filled the vehicle full with fuel and I remember the average fuel consumption just before fill up, and after arounf 300 miles of driving,was 40 mpg. On a 55 litre tank the range should show around 450 miles. It actually showed 370 miles - after a further 50 miles - and with the fuel indicators on the display still all lit the the range is now 320 miles. Does anyone understand how the fuel range is actually calculated. Is it to fuel run out or to the fuel warning light coming on and is the average fuel consumption used based on the last indicated or some other number.

I know its a bit obsessive but I like to know these things.

I have a 2.0 D4-D and no matter how I drive or what I do the maximum range after fill up always defaults to a maximum of 370. I know from working out my own consumption that I can get approx 70 miles for each block on the display so I set the 'b' trip meter to 0 when the last block comes on and when it gets near 70 I fill up. A complete pain in the *rse but I've yet to come up with a better way. As the other poster said the only accurate way is to divide your distance travelled by the fuel you put in to work out your own consumption. There are 9 blocks on the fuel display so if you divide this figure by 9 you'll have a better idea.

There are 9 blocks on the fuel display so if you divide this figure by 9 you'll have a better idea.

Not exactly. I have 7 blocks on a display but the milage I can drive on each of them is vary. You can not rely on the display and the same story was in my VW Golf.

Same as you in the T180, always seems to default to 320 and i thought it calculates the range based on the last know average MPG against the tank size.

I only get 430 miles to tank, 450 sometimes and 400 others.

The stupid range calc says 0 around when the fuel low warning light comes on and i just know i have about 60 miles left. Its a pointless measure IMHO. I hope toyota do 2 things

update the car so the range is actually accurate (like the MPG, which is accurate)

and an option in the menu to turn off the shift indicator LED's. :)

update the car so the range is actually accurate (like the MPG, which is accurate)

- would be nice

nd an option in the menu to turn off the shift indicator LED's.

- what is wrong with that :) ? I like it...

A agee it would be nice if it was accuarte, I get 370 mile range when the tank is full, Just checked the trip a 337mile since fill up, the range now shows 285 miles to go. Out of interest mine has nine blocks. I wish the avearge mpg could be split like the vag group cars ie. ave per tank and overall.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links