Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev2 Vs Rev3

Steve-O 2006

I have been looking at getting a Rev3 Turbo (have the money sitting here waiting to buy one ASAP) and then a very nice Rev2 Turbo popped up. Whats the main differences in the Rev2 and Rev3? Is it mainly just the suspension, engine, rear lights and rear centre pannel thats different?

The Rev2 Im looking at has Adjustable Coil over Suspension, Strut braces and has had the rear lights and centre pannel converted to the rev3 ones. So am I right in thinking that technically with them mods its just the engine thats now different and if so, what differences are there and is it easy to convert a Rev2 engine to Rev3?

Is there any disadvantages with the Rev2 engine? This one currently has a CT26 Turbo with Uprated Actuator, Large intercooler, HKS Airfilter, Fuel monitor / adjuster, HKS Boost controller and it also looks like its had a Rev3 manifold fitted (no writing on the manifold like the rev1/2 has). What sort of boost would be safe with this engine and current mods?

Thanks

Rev 3 also has a map sensor as well as the handling characteristics being improved although with the uprated suspension on that rev 2 it may have sorted that out.

Personally speaking i would put my monies on an unmolested Rev 3 tubby and get Rash to source you one mate.

Everyone that that know who didnt hold out for a Rev 3 and ended up buying a rev 2 tubby has regretted it in the long run bud.

My 2 pennies worth there for ya. :)

as far as im aware there wasn’t much difference in the handling between rev 2 and rev 3. well sertntly not to the same extent as the rev 1 to the rev 2

in the wet my rev 2 is leafle. it feels like im holding my breath weighing for something to go wrong when i go in to a corner in the wet (and that’s just keeping up with traffic) in the dry. I haven’t had a car that will match it handling wise

I have decided its my duty as a Toyota Mr2 manic driver to save a Mr2 from a tragic end in life. The engine is probably reaching its last legs at 150k I have decided im probably going to get it referbed or drop a rev 3 in it. Can any one tell me how much ****** about is involved in dropping a rev 3 engine in it. or am I best of just finding a referbed rev 2 and doing a streat swp?

as far as im aware there wasn’t much difference in the handling between rev 2 and rev 3. well sertntly not to the same extent as the rev 1 to the rev 2

in the wet my rev 2 is leafle. it feels like im holding my breath weighing for something to go wrong when i go in to a corner in the wet (and that’s just keeping up with traffic) in the dry. I haven’t had a car that will match it handling wise

I have decided its my duty as a Toyota Mr2 manic driver to save a Mr2 from a tragic end in life. The engine is probably reaching its last legs at 150k I have decided im probably going to get it referbed or drop a rev 3 in it. Can any one tell me how much ****** about is involved in dropping a rev 3 engine in it. or am I best of just finding a referbed rev 2 and doing a streat swp?

Iv had a rev 2 to rev 3 ( or 185 to 205 ) conversion done on my gt4 the engine is virtually the same ie drops on the same mounts etc etc, but its the wiring which is different, but not too difficult.

personally depending on how much bhp you want to run youd be better getting a refurb, i can put you in touch with someone who can rebuild the engine to race spec ( forged pistons, steel con rods, crank, bearings etc etc) for around £2k jus had my rev3 lump done before it got fitted!

its just I cant stop thinking about this rev2, I have looked at alot of nice MR2's but this one is just jumping right out at me saying Buy me and I cant get it out of my head its so nice.

In the long run its mainly only going to be used back and forward to work (but I will make sure I go the long way home in it :) ) and some weekend fun once in a while so I dont realy need extreme bhp, its currerntly got 280bhp (more than enough for my needs) with all the engine mods that I want plus the suspension etc has sorted the handling out.

I was going to go for a Standard Rev3 fresh import for about the same price but then added the costs on for Alarm, IC, DeCat etc etc and it soon mounts up.

Overall I think I will be very happy with this Rev2, If Im not I can easilly sell it on in the summer :)

Sam - if you are dropping a Rev3 engine in I think you need a Rev3 ECU as well dont you?

AHHH, I was going to take it off pistonheads. I had to people offer me money for it already and im not sure what to do

Its booked for a oil change and tracking and balancing tomorow so i can take it to london on wendsday (got to do some software training)

Thats about 700 mile round trip for me. So me and the Mr2 are realy going to get to know each other! Now that can go well. or very bad. I took out break down cover today....and this is the first car that i have ever done that on.

I love the color and it drives and pulls much better than the G-Limited that i had. Its not a Fiat coupe however. Im torn. The Mr2 is a much funner car to drive. I get more pleasre on country roads with it. Its a nightmair on wet roads however and not a nice car for moterway travle

The coupe isnt as fast off the line. Its got more top end though. Im going out on a limb to say its more comftable for long driving and just going down to the shops in.

I think there both realy pretty cars

i dont do much driving now. probably about 5000 a year at the moment. I do very short trips or very long trips, or fun driving to the cost and back insurance isnt a issue for me and i have about 1800 to play with in cash. I cant help but feel if i had a T-Bar rev 3 that was in good nick that id love it. I also cant shake the feeling that the Coupe would be a better car for me all around

Any advice would be great here (HELP ME!!)

All i can say is if you can afford Rev3 buy Rev3,

i have driven REV 1, 2 and 3 n there is no competition just a totally diff car to drive i wouldn't even think twice about it,

Revision 3+ are far superior in many ways, it's the complete package, suspension, engine, management, the drive n handling is quite different with revised geometry at both ends also different gearbox and lsd, subframe, etc etc the list goes on to make it a superior package...

Don't skimp as fizz says i would also buy an unmolested rev3 rather than a modified lesser model, gives you a sound base to modify n make the car the way you want it, rather than building on some one else's work.

Just my opinion tho

Doreen X

Im going down to have a look at it with the money. Overall If I went for a Standard Rev3, I wouldnt be able to afford to put all the bits on and make it look like this one (the way I want it) eg Wheels, Body kit, painting, fitting, boost / oil etc guages, Intercooler, full adjustable suspension, Alarm / Imob, turbo timer, boost controller, Apexi fuel mixture thing, decat pipe etc etc list goes on and it soon mounts up to silly money :eek: . This Rev2 is exactly what Im wanting with everything I need.

keeping my rev 2! (got to take it of PH) we got to know each other very well yestoday. Tuesday i chaged the plugs,oil,air filter, and balanced the wheels (small service)

Wendsday we went to london, the trip was 350 miles (round trip) and i can say she didnt miss a beet. all the way there at 70mph then hitting london roads and traffic. Start stop for over a houre cralling over pot hole roads....serisly..londong. capital of england, driving on them roads is like going back to the dark ages. there were pot hols the sive of footballs! and this is cenetral london!

and how....no over heating no stalling. so bangs..funny smells. Only thing i can say is i wish the stearing was ligher in situations like that. and the clutch wasnt so heavy.

I was supprised how well i coped with it in london. its small pointy and nipy of the mark. the visability was good as well. i didnt run over 1 suside moter bike driver!

fual.....somthing wrong with mine. whats the most commen reason for excesive fual usage..considring i did a simuler jurny in my last one and it didnt use half as much?

done plugs,airfilter,tracking,balancing,and oil it also has a flat spot on the accelerater were nothing happens, and then a bit more down it kicks you in the back and takes off?

Recomendation.......Yes drive to london in your mr2!! Would have been easyer in a auto supra

sounds like the roads around where I live!! Guess what the council said in the newspaper... "We dont have enough money to fix the roads" "We can only repair them once every 50 years and fill them all in once every 7 years" !!!! Wher the **** does all the Road Tax go!!!!! millions of People are being charged £300 for tax on big cars, wheres all that money going???!!! I bet it doesnt even get used on the Roads! The thing is the holes arnt just on small side roads, they are on nearly all main roads! I snapped the bottom ball joint on the Merc 190E on one the other day, had to get the AA to drop the car off at work so I could get it fixed (luckilly I got discount so it was only £5 for the part and £15 for fitting :) looked alot worse when it was sitting with the wheel on a funny angle)!!

Anyway, going to hopefully get that car on saturday, cant wait.. will post pics on Sat when I get home in it :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links