Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Starlet Sol - ?water Leak

dididean

Hello all

I have a 99 Toyota Starlet Sol (no A/C, basic model) and over the past few weeks I have noticed a damp passenger floor underneath the windscreen and especially at the end of the carpet. Last week it was so wet there was actually a pool of water there.

I dried it out to see if maybe I had spilt coffee and somehow it had acumulated from that, but unfortunately the water leak keeps coming back especially when it rains and when I have the heaters on.

A vandal smashed my windscreen a few weeks ago, and I had it fixed then, it didnt rain that much in December so I am only noticing this now.

What do you think is the likely cause of this water leak?

A/leaky seal on newly fixed windscreen

b/ a friend has suggested that the drainage system may be blocked by mud debris.

Has anyone any suggestions? If it is the blocked drainage, would anyone be kind enough to provide a step by step account of how I can clear it please?

Dididean

Welcome,

Yes, possibly a, or b. Raise the bonnet and check for leaves, twigs mud etc blocking around the area where the screen meets the top of the bonnet, and the channels down the side of the bonnet opening.

And one other thought - does the car have a sun-roof?

Another possibility is the heater radiator. It could have a leak and make the carpet wet !!! :(

Aye,

Heater matrix is one of the usual suspects. The easiest way to check this is to taste the water - if it tastes sickly sweet then it's most likely coolant leaking from the heater matrix. If this is the case then it's quite a big job to sort as the heater matrix is behind the dashboard - so it's a dash out job to replace it. Keeping an eye on your coolant levels will indicate whether it's that or not though.

If it's just water then it could be a leaking seal around the screen, door or sunroof, Or you could have a hole in the floor and the water is coming in from the spray of the front tyres on the road.

Probably the matrix though.................If it is and you're not attempting the repair yourself then get some quotes first as prices seem to vary wildly from one place to the next for this type of job !

Good luck

Unless you are topping up the radiator every five minutes due to the amount of water loss I recon it is a window seal.

Try lifting your carpets and get someone to spray round the windscreen with a hose pipe while you look inside :thumbsup:

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links