Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

After 6 Months And 7000 Miles, Should The Steering Column Fall To Bits

AlexM

Bought this new Yaris in July last year, and have so far done 7000 (mainly painful) miles.

After a series of unsucessful visits to the Toyota gargae in Chichester to try and rectify a high pithced whine, I finally gave up complaining when they scratched my paintwork.

2000 miles later, the car is no better. There are rattles throughout the interior, the clutch has started to noticeably judder and the engine is getting squeaky. Overall, I've not been too impressed, but when the steering rack became disconnected I lost faith all together.

After a mile of driving yesterday afternoon, I hear a frustrating and progressive rattle coming from behind the steering wheel. I pulled over, released the rake and reach adjustment (with the handle underneath the wheel) and the whole thing just fell apart in my lap. Thankfully I was on a minor road.

The RAC guy was in disbelief and commented how bad Toyotas have become. He's not kidding. He managed to fix it by the side of the road but asked me to take it to Toyota to have the washers replaced and generally checked over.

Does anyone have any idea how I can just get a refund to go elsewhere?

Bought this new Yaris in July last year, and have so far done 7000 (mainly painful) miles.

After a series of unsucessful visits to the Toyota gargae in Chichester to try and rectify a high pithced whine, I finally gave up complaining when they scratched my paintwork.

2000 miles later, the car is no better. There are rattles throughout the interior, the clutch has started to noticeably judder and the engine is getting squeaky. Overall, I've not been too impressed, but when the steering rack became disconnected I lost faith all together.

After a mile of driving yesterday afternoon, I hear a frustrating and progressive rattle coming from behind the steering wheel. I pulled over, released the rake and reach adjustment (with the handle underneath the wheel) and the whole thing just fell apart in my lap. Thankfully I was on a minor road.

The RAC guy was in disbelief and commented how bad Toyotas have become. He's not kidding. He managed to fix it by the side of the road but asked me to take it to Toyota to have the washers replaced and generally checked over.

Look up "Which?" magazine and join. s a member, ask them for advice as you have so much you can do to get a refund or get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

I know you can reject the car, but you must inform them of this intent in writing and above all, STOP USING THE CAR as they will say you are still deriving pleaure from it and either try to force you to just have it fixed or reduce any amount you may be able to claim. As I said, Which? will be able to offer the best consumer advice and if you are a member, they can offer legal assistance too.

I have seen many cases where, just by their involvement, the offending retailer has offed a refund and sometimes even compensation for loss of pleasure etc. Every case will be judged by it's own merits, though but if yours is a brand new vehicle, I would think you are entitled to a new replacement or a fairly full refund if all the faults hve been logged and you state that you have lost faith in this particular vehicle, which would be understanding if you could have ahd a serious crash when the steering failed!

Look up "Which?" magazine and join. s a member, ask them for advice as you have so much you can do to get a refund or get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

I know you can reject the car, but you must inform them of this intent in writing and above all, STOP USING THE CAR as they will say you are still deriving pleaure from it and either try to force you to just have it fixed or reduce any amount you may be able to claim. As I said, Which? will be able to offer the best consumer advice and if you are a member, they can offer legal assistance too.

I have seen many cases where, just by their involvement, the offending retailer has offed a refund and sometimes even compensation for loss of pleasure etc. Every case will be judged by it's own merits, though but if yours is a brand new vehicle, I would think you are entitled to a new replacement or a fairly full refund if all the faults hve been logged and you state that you have lost faith in this particular vehicle, which would be understanding if you could have ahd a serious crash when the steering failed!

Well since my last post I've been in touch with Toyota customer relations with regards to getting the car collected and replaced with a hire / courtesy vehcile until repaired and they were very unhelpful. I spoke to 3 main dealers, none of them wanted to know and told me to get the RAC to tow my car to them, then they might give me a courtesy car in 24 hours.

I called the RAC and they were great on the phone. They organised a free hire car and a tow, but when the guy arrived he was pretty miffed at towing the car away as it 'works'. When I mentioned I'm not keen on driving a potentially very dangerous car 20 miles, he got even more miffed and just took the keys off me and loaded it up mumbling to himself. Charming.

Thanks for the advice RE Which.

Could anyone advise a good replacement car to go for? I've decided I don't want another Toyota (unsuprisingly) and I'm keen on the Golf (maybe a DSG) on the hope that a bigger car might be better screwed together.

ouch, sounds like you got a bad car. not to sound like im kissing toyotas ***** here, but toyotas are amongst the most reliable cars out.

well, in my personal experience nobody i know who has had a toyota has had a problem with it. ever. and that includes me in my mk1 yaris and my parents in their mk 2.

by contrast, pretty much everyone i know who has had a mk4 golf has had bother with it, but the earlier ones are pretty good and the mk5 isnt really old enough to have had problems yet.

ouch, sounds like you got a bad car. not to sound like im kissing toyotas ***** here, but toyotas are amongst the most reliable cars out.

well, in my personal experience nobody i know who has had a toyota has had a problem with it. ever. and that includes me in my mk1 yaris and my parents in their mk 2.

by contrast, pretty much everyone i know who has had a mk4 golf has had bother with it, but the earlier ones are pretty good and the mk5 isnt really old enough to have had problems yet.

Well, you buy Toyotas for good quality and good quality only. The Yaris is okay to drive, rather slow but it manages, it rattles and it's ugly. But, it's cheap to run and it never breaks down (universal items have to be replaced once in a while). Oh, and the Mk5 has been out since 2003 now. How can you say it's not old enough to have had any problems yet, when this guy has got problems with a 6 month old Yaris 2?

Yes, I'm on Vortex and regularly read posts on how the Passats go to pieces, they are no better. But I just think it's a shame if the quality, the factor Toyota stands for and sells cars for, go away. They have in a way been dependant on that quality for some years now.

Well, you buy Toyotas for good quality and good quality only. The Yaris is okay to drive, rather slow but it manages, it rattles and it's ugly. But, it's cheap to run and it never breaks down (universal items have to be replaced once in a while). Oh, and the Mk5 has been out since 2003 now. How can you say it's not old enough to have had any problems yet, when this guy has got problems with a 6 month old Yaris 2?***** has it? i thought it hadnt been out a year yet lmao anyway the point i was trying to make was that loads of problems have come out with the mk4 golfs but not so much the mk5s, whether the mk5s will go to crap or not remains to be seen

Yes, I'm on Vortex and regularly read posts on how the Passats go to pieces, they are no better. But I just think it's a shame if the quality, the factor Toyota stands for and sells cars for, go away. They have in a way been dependant on that quality for some years now.i dont think that toyotas quality is going away. this is just ONE guy with a dodgy car. i very rarely see posts like this either on here or on toyotaownersclub or yarisclub or anywhere else about any toyota, and noone i know who has had a toyota has ever had any problems with it. if hundreds of people were having bother then i would worry but this is one dude and although i sympathise with him i still think toyotas, are on the whole, reliable.

It just fell apart into your lap! i don't believe that for one second, steering columns do not just fall apart, nor does any other part of a modern car unless your partner is trying to do you in.

It just fell apart into your lap! i don't believe that for one second, steering columns do not just fall apart, nor does any other part of a modern car unless your partner is trying to do you in.

Thanks for the support! Two other people were in the car when it happened. The retaining bolts had shaken loose, so once the up / down adjustment was released the unit was free. It was just an example of this cars shocking build quality. The man from the RAC pointed out it was probably not tight enough when it left the factory.

Such a shame, I really liked this car when I got it but its been deteriating gradually. I am not set out to destroy the Toyota reputation, I bought the car on the back of having two trouble free Corollas. The service and quality of product has clearly dropped in recent times though, and the customer satisfaction surveys will reflect this in a year or so.

The service and quality of product has clearly dropped in recent times though, and the customer satisfaction surveys will reflect this in a year or so.

Is it only your views they take into account in the satisfaction surveys? :rolleyes:

I have been on this forum for 4 years and have owned two Yaris' and an Aygo (as well as being the past driver of a Corolla) and it's very very rare that problems exist with these cars.

Your case is incredibly isolated. In that 4 years I've never heard of the steering column falling apart.

This doesnt mean that Toyotas quality is dropping - sadly no manufacturer track record is 100% perfect. There are always a few bad apples, just so happens Toyota don't have as many as some other makes.

I assume your Yaris was brand new in July? If so you have a three-year warranty which means that Toyota are under obligation to fix any problems not classed as wear and tear. They are however not obliged to provide a courtesy car (you have to ask nicely for one) nor are they obliged to pick your car up - that is what roadside recovery is for. So what they said to you about having it towed to a Toyota garage is 100% correct.

That doesnt mean their customer service is crud, it means that they just don't provide that service - pure and simple! Thats why they give you 12 months roadside assistance!

The service and quality of product has clearly dropped in recent times though, and the customer satisfaction surveys will reflect this in a year or so.

Is it only your views they take into account in the satisfaction surveys? :rolleyes:

I have been on this forum for 4 years and have owned two Yaris' and an Aygo (as well as being the past driver of a Corolla) and it's very very rare that problems exist with these cars.

Your case is incredibly isolated. In that 4 years I've never heard of the steering column falling apart.

This doesnt mean that Toyotas quality is dropping - sadly no manufacturer track record is 100% perfect. There are always a few bad apples, just so happens Toyota don't have as many as some other makes.

I assume your Yaris was brand new in July? If so you have a three-year warranty which means that Toyota are under obligation to fix any problems not classed as wear and tear. They are however not obliged to provide a courtesy car (you have to ask nicely for one) nor are they obliged to pick your car up - that is what roadside recovery is for. So what they said to you about having it towed to a Toyota garage is 100% correct.

That doesnt mean their customer service is crud, it means that they just don't provide that service - pure and simple! Thats why they give you 12 months roadside assistance!

I've obviously caused offence, in which case I'm sorry. I didn't realise some people held an emotional attachment to the brand. I thought the idea of these forums was to share problems for the benefit of others...

The point I was making about the replacement car is Toyota didn't know what the RAC would actually provide for me, even though they had provided the product! The dealer said if I had a hire car from the RAC it would cost me, which it didn't. Why did I have to rely on the RAC call centre to put things in perspective? To be honest, I didn't expect to have the car in the dealership for warranty work, and if it does need to go in I expect the transaction to be totally painless. I bought a Toyota mainly for reliability and hassle free motoring, which it clearly hasn't been. Have you noticed the many posts / comments on clutch judder (which mine also has)? I've spoken to a few people in my travels with Yaris's and they too have noticed it.

With reference to dropping quality, I speak from the comments read on recent posts, the comments of the RAC mechanic (who mentioned Toyota are becoming as unreliable as the frenchies), and my own.

Wether the car is in warranty or not is irrelevant. If the dealers aren't able to fix the car to a good standard, its pointless. To be honest, I expect more wrong with it after its been with the local garage. So far it has been more trouble than a 10 year old Ford.

What I was really after was some helpful advice (maybe even a competent dealer within 50 miles to give it a good examination?). I have written a letter of rejection, but if this fails I'm stuck. I don't want to sell a car that could be potentially dangerous.

I've obviously caused offence, in which case I'm sorry. I didn't realise some people held an emotional attachment to the brand. I thought the idea of these forums was to share problems for the benefit of others...

Dont worry you have not caused offence, you have to remember people on here love their toyotas,

so will always stand up for them.

I do have to say though that Toyotas are not as well built as they were in the past, but its not just Toyota

its all car manufacters unfortunatly ;)

I have a 8 year old s15 & a 10 year old micra, they are both rattle/squeek free,

where as my 3 year old yaris has alot of rattles/squeeks,

also from the start i've always had trouble with my rear spoiler falling off :unsure:

I have worked in dealers for 20 years [ never toyota though ] and i've watched the quality of the materials

used in car production drop.

And remember alot of the jap cars now are built in the UK :eek:

Like i said earlier after working in dealers i doubt you will get a refund after 6 months of ownership,

they will repair your car under their 3 year warranty.

Try a different main dealer tell them the problems you had with the other dealer.

The point I was making about the replacement car is Toyota didn't know what the RAC would actually provide for me, even though they had provided the product! The dealer said if I had a hire car from the RAC it would cost me, which it didn't. Why did I have to rely on the RAC call centre to put things in perspective? To be honest, I didn't expect to have the car in the dealership for warranty work, and if it does need to go in I expect the transaction to be totally painless. I bought a Toyota mainly for reliability and hassle free motoring, which it clearly hasn't been. Have you noticed the many posts / comments on clutch judder (which mine also has)? I've spoken to a few people in my travels with Yaris's and they too have noticed it.

With reference to dropping quality, I speak from the comments read on recent posts, the comments of the RAC mechanic (who mentioned Toyota are becoming as unreliable as the frenchies), and my own.

Wether the car is in warranty or not is irrelevant. If the dealers aren't able to fix the car to a good standard, its pointless. To be honest, I expect more wrong with it after its been with the local garage. So far it has been more trouble than a 10 year old Ford.

What I was really after was some helpful advice (maybe even a competent dealer within 50 miles to give it a good examination?). I have written a letter of rejection, but if this fails I'm stuck. I don't want to sell a car that could be potentially dangerous.

Toyota DO have a good track record for reliablility, as do most of the big Jap manufacturers, nowadays. Shame you got a rogue one. I have had mine five years and have only had minor gripes aside from the shocks being rubbish. This is made worse though, by nearly every side road in London having speed bumps and my family being Ahm- a little on the plentiful side!

I put Koni's on and they are a great improvement although I could have done with adjusting the settings, just never bothered.

I have been looking at the Smart ForFour, lately. They seem nicely put together and you can change the bodywork for other colours if you fancy! Wings are plastic, so dont dent much, rust and are easy to change. I think lower spec ones are good on insurance but I fancy the Brabus... So many toys in it! Prob settle for a high spec diesel version though... They can be easily chipped for more power whilst still being economical too! Worth taking a look at!!

Good luck with the dealer and do get on to Which! they are the people's champion. I cannot recommend them enough.

Toyota DO have a good track record for reliablility, as do most of the big Jap manufacturers, nowadays. Shame you got a rogue one. I have had mine five years and have only had minor gripes aside from the shocks being rubbish. This is made worse though, by nearly every side road in London having speed bumps and my family being Ahm- a little on the plentiful side!

I put Koni's on and they are a great improvement although I could have done with adjusting the settings, just never bothered.

I have been looking at the Smart ForFour, lately. They seem nicely put together and you can change the bodywork for other colours if you fancy! Wings are plastic, so dont dent much, rust and are easy to change. I think lower spec ones are good on insurance but I fancy the Brabus... So many toys in it! Prob settle for a high spec diesel version though... They can be easily chipped for more power whilst still being economical too! Worth taking a look at!!

Good luck with the dealer and do get on to Which! they are the people's champion. I cannot recommend them enough.

BTW, when were Toyota's (Or other Jap cars) built better than now?

I ask as, not too many years ago, they rusted like it was a design feature by the manufacture's and were only surpassed for their unreliability by Fiat! We all know what Fiat stands for don't we?

F ix

I t

A gain

T omorrow!

That sounds like you got a Friday afternoon car there - one that is a definate bad Apple out of the large amount of cars manufacture. It's a shame that it's had so many problems with it as it does dent your confidence (I had a 1996 Fiesta as my 1st car back in 2003 and it had so many problems I turned to Toyota for reliablity and since 2004 I can say that I have not had one major problem with the T3 I had initially and our current two do come with a few squeaks but are great).

Definately keep on the firm steady pressure with Toyota. I can't remember if you have mentioned this in any of your above posts but have you kept a log of every single thing that has gone wrong for you and also time/phone calls etc that you have had to make to resolve the problem? That way you'll have a first hand log showing everything.

In our Household we also have a 2003 Fiesta which has had one problem after another with it and it's a lot more juicy on the petrol than the Yaris (both of them are a 1.3) and the road noise is very loud. When the Fiesta got to it's first MOT it needed a good few bits doing on it's advisory notes. We've had the RAC out three times to the Fiesta and the bloke that came out (same one twice) said that Jap cars are the most reliable by far and the ones they get least call outs too. I didn't correct him by saying the 1.3 was made in France before you wonder! The 1.3 Yaris had it's first MOT last Saturday and passed with absolute flying colours and no advisories whatsoever - although I do think that if you look after your car it will look after you applies in my situation as it's safe to say the Fiesta isn't very loved :D

Which come highly recommended from me also - my Parents have used them and they have always been very good.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I own a new Yaris (My first Toyota) 1.3 SR.

I love it 99% of the time. The other 1% is the clutch judder when I leave it for a couple of days.

I am waiting for my local Toyota Dealer to call me back ref the judder.

I guess I am going to find how good the legendary after sales service is.

I have to say my wife’s Peugeot 107 is built better and has had no faults at all from new.

Is this because it's built in Eastern Europe and not France

If I had known before the purchase that the car was built in France I would have brought something else.

Best cars = Japanese design and built in the UK.

Well I gave up with mine and couldn't be bothered with any more hassle. I'm due to pick up my new BMW 1 series next week. At least when the beamer packs up I will take it back to a garage I want to visit with nice cars and hopefully get treated with a little bit more respect.

I've been using a Polo diesel for the last month and although still suffers from rattles and creaks is still far superiour in almost every way. Lots faster round town too.

Hi AlexM I'm glad you got your problem solved. Its a shame the car had to go but sometimes I guess thats the only option if you want to keep your sanity!! I find it laughable that people are saying you got a 'rogue' or 'friday afternoon' car. That's just rubbish. Their are countless posts in the Yaris, Aygo, Corolla forums about poor build quality which is far too much to brush off as just bad luck. I do think that Toyota's build quality is in decline and for a company who's reputation is solely built on one thing - reliability - thats not good news for the brand.

I have to say my wife’s Peugeot 107 is built better and has had no faults at all from new.

What you mean is that it's built better than other Peugeots, because it's an Aygo under the skin :P

Hi AlexM I'm glad you got your problem solved. Its a shame the car had to go but sometimes I guess thats the only option if you want to keep your sanity!! I find it laughable that people are saying you got a 'rogue' or 'friday afternoon' car. That's just rubbish. Their are countless posts in the Yaris, Aygo, Corolla forums about poor build quality which is far too much to brush off as just bad luck. I do think that Toyota's build quality is in decline and for a company who's reputation is solely built on one thing - reliability - thats not good news for the brand.

I'm afraid my experiences of Toyota are pretty good and I've been very pleased with the reliability and build quality of both my previous car an Aygo and now a Yaris that I've had for 6 months.

My nightmare was with Volkswagen the past two I got pretty fed up with sitting waiting at the dealers, or driving some base model Polo replacement. I will never buy another VW again! Perhaps it would be laughable to consider these rogue or saturday afternoon cars? Mind look at the VW forums and my experience was pretty typical of many people. I like the dynamics and specification of VWs, the audio systems were in a different league to the one in my Yaris.

But for something reliable the Toyota cars I've had have been brilliant - on a par with the Mercedes and Nissans I've owned

What you mean is that it's built better than other Peugeots, because it's an Aygo under the skin :P

Very true. :D

Are any bits of the 107 Peugeot apart from the Badge?

Toyota Quality is going down hill.

Everyone at work said wow your buying a really reliable well built car. I said I know I'm not stupid.

Today at work

Where is your new Toyota? Um it's in the garage having a new clutch. :(

Is that in addtion to the new drivers seat and the dodgy brakes. Um yes :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links