Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cat Light On!

Calisto

I was driving home on the motorway last night and I noticed the red Cat light appeared, then went off, then re-apeared and now its on permanantly :( as soon as I turn on the car!

Why????????

Kiya is an Import and a G reg!

Can anyone shed any light on this pls!! :)

I was driving home on the motorway last night and I noticed the red Cat light appeared, then went off, then re-apeared and now its on permanantly :( as soon as I turn on the car!

Why????????

You need to access the diagnostic socket, located in the engine compartment and bridge some terminals inside, (unsure which ones, will find outtomorrow at work for you) then watch the light on the dash for the fault code.

fault codes are best checked with one person doing the poking and the other looking... but the one poking should know where to stick it and the one looking should know what theyre looking for :)

hope its nothing serious for you angel!

:)

You have a way with words hun, just makes my heart flutter!!!!!

Am going to get her looked at soon.

A.x

Why????????

You need to access the diagnostic socket, located in the engine compartment and bridge some terminals inside, (unsure which ones, will find outtomorrow at work for you) then watch the light on the dash for the fault code.

Very much apprecieated, thank you. B)

your cat is overheating, it will eventually break up, block and melt, which will then need replacing

Is that worse than having a stone stuck in the exhaust then Doreen?

It is so much worse than that Tony...

in extreme cases it can lead to loss of kendal mint cake from top pocket, a result we usually on hear about from stalking of the factory gazelle, but also it has been proven recently that over heating cats do lead to this too.

iirc also u want to bridge terminals T1 and Te1 in diag socket, then turn ign on n count flashes of eng man light to give you error codes,

if it were me i'd just buy a Decat pipe n have done with it, n do it sooner rather than later to avoid mint cake lossage!.

All my love

Doreen x

:D

Good advice though; Your mekanikal knolegge has come on leaps and bounds Doreen.

TBH I didn't even know the MR2 had a CAT Warning light.

Is this on imports only or all of them? If you de-cat it, then do you need to do anything to disable the warning light?

I got a spanners for dummies book for xmas n it has taught me quite a lot,

The light is only a Cat temp warning light, and only on import models iirc,

When Decatting just leave it connected but tie wrapped out the way, all should be fine and we can all be happy again n safe in knowing the Gazelles can run free once more without the risk of earlier said stalking!.

Doreen X

Doreen Planpot.. HAHAHA!! :D

Spot on the mark. 1990 cars, by law don't need a cat.

De-cat. Release them ponies..

Ok I have been on to Toyotech this morning......they said there is no point doing diagnostics, as it will come up with Lambda sensor or cat problem (which I knew anyway) ^_^

Like you guys have said and thay have just said .....fix lambda sensor or get her de-cated!

I have not been near this place for about 3 months.......as soon as I spoke the chap on the end of the phone said "are you the lady from Marton with the black mr2 import" he said "we dont get many posh people with your accent with such a nice car!" :lol:

So now I am waiting for prices, and I will do some re-search on what the hell a lambda sensor is and does!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links