Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bluddy Coooooold!

pizza boy

Was the most freezing mornin today and I experienced a strange problem. After lettin the car warm up a bit I released the handbrake only to find it had asolutley no tension! It just fell. At first I thought the cable had snapped but the handbrake light wasnt on which was wierd but I could feel the clench on the rear discs as if it was still on. I drove for a good ten min like this. After a few creakes an drones whilst movin I pulled up the h.brake again at lights an it slowly regained its tension the more I drove and eventually it was fine. :blink:

And to boot when I decided to check the oil which needs replacin the bluddy rod 'catch' on the lid snapped when I was pullin the rod off :ffs: Gotta use sticky tape to hold it up bah!

So any1 know what the hell is going on with the handbrake?

Cables probably frozen up a bit/grease in cable sleeve gone very thick reducing movement due to the cold..... prolly find as they warm up it'll release a bit....

just aguess but would make sence :wacko:

There prone to freezing.

I kept moving backwards and forwards this morning to free mine, then finally put handbrake full on, took foot off clutch and shot forward into wall ( forgot to take it out of gear )

No damage done though.

Russ

it's normal for the cables to seize .. just had mine lubed for winter ;)

yeah... I experienced the same about an hour ago. Let the handbrake off and the car felt kind of sluggish. Think discs were still gripping a bit. 5 mins later it was fine.

Shouldn't laugh, but Russ.... that sounds funny.

I kept moving backwards and forwards this morning to free mine, then finally put handbrake full on, took foot off clutch and shot forward into wall ( forgot to take it out of gear )

lol! now that musta woke you up hehe. :lol:

It wasnt funny at the time, but i can laugh about it now.

And isnt it funny when you do something like that, you look round to see if anyone has seen it happen.

Russ

...you look round to see if anyone has seen it happen.

When i do somehting stupid the first thing i do is check to see if ne1 saw that, otherwise i forget about it :D

• 3 weeks later...

read here

I've got a problem... I don't want to drive about with it as I did for 5 mins and no difference. Also tried going back and forth a few times... no difference. Now I'm stuck.... any suggestions ?

• 1 year later...
Was the most freezing mornin today and I experienced a strange problem. After lettin the car warm up a bit I released the handbrake only to find it had asolutley no tension! It just fell. At first I thought the cable had snapped but the handbrake light wasnt on which was wierd but I could feel the clench on the rear discs as if it was still on. I drove for a good ten min like this. After a few creakes an drones whilst movin I pulled up the h.brake again at lights an it slowly regained its tension the more I drove and eventually it was fine. :blink: 

And to boot when I decided to check the oil which needs replacin the bluddy rod 'catch' on the lid snapped when I was pullin the rod off  :ffs: Gotta use sticky tape to hold it up bah!

So any1 know what the hell is going on with the handbrake?

This is a commom fault and it's happened to my mr2 turbo a few times. If you know it's gonna be a hard frost just park on the level and leave in gear otherwise you won't be going anywhere in the morning!! Apparently you can buy new cables from toyota that don't freeze but it's not really worth it.

Branty - hampshire

Don't get ya Matt..... but hey ho...

Anyway....

All Mr2 drivers out there should ensure that their handbrake cables are fully lubed up at this time of year. Don't want an expensive repair bill on your hands.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links