Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Light

kenl

My wife reported a yellow warning light coming on in the Aygo today. It looks like a profile outline of a little engine.

The manual says to take the car to a dealer. She says the car seems to be running fine.

Anyone else had this in their Aygo?

My bet is that it is some stupid sensor that has failed, rather than anything wrong with the car itself.

its always on while the engine is running?

this happened to my dads avensis, turned out like you say was just a faulty sensor, probs best to be safe than sorry and get Toyota to hook the computer upto it and see what it detects

Thanks Zaaro.

Yes, once the engine is started up, and all the other lights go off, it stays on.

Planning to phone the dealer in the morning.

Ken.

A gadget called “Scangauge II” will read off the error codes that cause engine warning lights and can also reset it.

Please be warned that the most common cause for the engine warning light is the fuel cap not being replaced properly

It's called a "CEL" Check Engine Light.

Usually comes on when an error is detected and as has been said a code reader will give a number which will determine the fault.

Les

A gadget called “Scangauge II” will read off the error codes that cause engine warning lights and can also reset it.

Please be warned that the most common cause for the engine warning light is the fuel cap not being replaced properly

Ta for that, will remember it.

Ps. I once removed the passenger seat in my MX5 and pulling the connector open (heated seat) under the seat tripped the engine light.

Thanks for the tip on checking the fuel cap.

The dealer said the fault was due to a faulty O2 sensor.

They have cleared the fault, but will not have the part until Tuesday. Said it was OK to keep driving the car until it is convenient to have it replaced.

Thanks for the tip on checking the fuel cap.

The dealer said the fault was due to a faulty O2 sensor.

They have cleared the fault, but will not have the part until Tuesday. Said it was OK to keep driving the car until it is convenient to have it replaced.

lol how weird, exactly the same as my dads avensis, cost him a fair bit for one

Well, the car went into the dealer on Friday. We went to collect it on Saturday and they had lost the key!

So, they gave us a Yaris to use until they replace the sensor on Tuesday. They have since found the key, thankfully.

lol @ lost the key.. more like they hadnt done it ... class excuse

Eh, no :huh:

They had diagnosed the fault and said it would need booked back in at a later date.

There was no hurry to fix it, the car was fine. We got to drive their car for a few days, and our car returned, fully valleted.

Despite a wee mix up, great service from Toyota, Edinburgh :)

• 8 years later...
On 25/01/2008 at 10:31 AM, adilmon said:

My daughter's Aygo had a new exhaust fitted just a few days ago.  The next day, the orange engine light came on.  Is the exhaust connected to the fuel cap by any chance?  Thinking on the line that the mechanic who fixed the new exhaust done something.  May be a silly question but I have no knowledge of engines.

Which part of the exhaust did they replace. Was it just the rear section?

The fuel cap is not connected in any way. What they mean is that if the fuel cap is not screwed on properly, then the fuel system doesn't pressurize correctly and can cause a problem.

The fuel cap must be turned clockwise until it clicks!

Yes, the rear. Thanks for clarifying re the fuel cap.  Silly me!!  :-/

There's no sensors connected to the rear box. If it was the front, then I believe the lambda sensor is there, and it's a possibility the mechanic knocked the connector.

Try refitting the fuel cap. If car is driving normally, the light may go off after a few miles.

Thank you, will check that as my daughter drives the car.  I drove it to check it out and it drives fine.  No problem there, however, the catalyst converter was replaced a few months back.

Not sure exactly what sensors are connected to the front section, but it may be simply one or more connectors needs reseating.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise :smile:

• 4 years later...

Hi  I was driving the car to work this morning and when I approached a hill the car cut out it turns over just won't start any ideas what it could be 

1 hour ago, Anthony gwyther said:

Hi  I was driving the car to work this morning and when I approached a hill the car cut out it turns over just won't start any ideas what it could be 

Do you mean you were actually part way up the hill or still on the flat approaching the hill.               
Any problems whatsoever leading up to this problem. Any starting problems, any jerkiness, anything which may be a clue.

pother then that all I can say it like a horse that just refuses to jump over a fence. Your car just refused to go up the hill 😀

Any warning lights showing?

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Do you mean you were actually part way up the hill or still on the flat approaching the hill.               
Any problems whatsoever leading up to this problem. Any starting problems, any jerkiness, anything which may be a clue.

pother then that all I can say it like a horse that just refuses to jump over a fence. Your car just refused to go up the hill 😀

No it was driving perfectly fine then as I was half way up the hill it just cut out and wouldn't start could it possibly be the coil pack.

Sorry but I'm going to ask the basic - how much petrol in the tank?

And if you push it back down onto a flat stretch of road does it start then?

5 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Sorry but I'm going to ask the basic - how much petrol in the tank?

And if you push it back down onto a flat stretch of road does it start then?

There's 3 quarters of a tank of fuel in it it did restart but only after the engine cools down 

One question you haven't answered was whether any warning lights were displayed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links