Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Regulations Regardings Cat's On Imports

MattMR2Turbo

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the MOT regulations are regarding import cars and catalytic converters?

Mine's a 94 (M) turbo which has had the cat removed for a full Powerflow exhaust. As far as I'm aware, it's going to be very diffiult to get a cat back in the system.

But, I'm sure I read somewhere that there are different requirements regarding cats and import cars? Basically, does anyone know whether I'm going to need a cat for an mot or not?

Thanks

Matt

not 100% sure mate....

But I think if it's a pre '94 car then you should be ok.. but yours is a 94 , so I dunno. Also supposedly if there isn't a british equivelant of the same vehicle, then I think you can get away with it. There isn't a UK spec Turbo.

Don't take my word tho... like I said.. not 100% sure.

For cars without a direct UK comparable version (eg MR2 turbo) then the cat isn't required.

For cars with a direct UK comparable version (eg ordinary MR2), then it is.

You're 100% sure? Got the MOT booked for Saturday after next.

Also, one of my front indicator bulbs are white! Are the replacements just the normal round indicator bulbs?

The other thing is that the only time I put my rear fogs on, it blew a fuse and I lost my back lights, side lights, and dash lights <_<

Guess I need to run a seperate power wire for the fogs! Is there a rear fog light switch in the UK MR2's? Want to change the big orange thing that's in my dash at the minute!

For cars without a direct UK comparable version (eg MR2 turbo) then the cat isn't required.

For cars with a direct UK comparable version (eg ordinary MR2), then it is.

I think this is only up to 1993. After that everything has to have a cat. Do a web search on MOT's see if you can dig up an answer.

Is there a rear fog light switch in the UK MR2's?

Yep there r seperate switches for fronts and rear on the UK MR2's. Well on mine neway.

And as for the CAT...

Whats been said is true, unles there's and equivalent UK spec vehicle model u'll get away w. it.

Just hope that the tester doesnt know the GT4 carries the same engine ;)

Doubt he'll know tho m8, so ur in the clear.

-Z

I think this is only up to 1993. After that everything has to have a cat. Do a web search on MOT's see if you can dig up an answer.

Hrm, i didnt know that bit about only up2 '93. I "think" u may be safe...

http://www.s-motors.co.uk/mot.htm

A little ways down that page:

"Does my vehicle have to be tested?

All petrol-engined class IV vehicles first used on or after 1st August 1992 (i.e., K prefix registrations onwards) will have to go to a catalyst MoT station.

Not all petrol-engined class IV vehicles first used on or after 1st August 1992 had to be fitted with a catalyst. However, the catalyst station will be able to identify whether or not a catalyst should be fitted and apply the appropriate emission tests. Vehicles fitted with catalysts and first used before 1st August 1992 are not subject to the catalyst emissions test."

It's not very specific but search around and u mite be able to dig something more up.

-Z

I read soomewhere a minute ago which said that you don't have to have a cat but the emissions test will be based as if the car did have, so you might have a problem getting the right emissions.

I dunno, I'm sure the garage I'm taking it to won't be THAT fussy but I just want to make sure so that I know.

for UK supplied cars you need a cat on a K-plate or newer.

Different rules for imports....

Pre 92' cars do not require them, although if like mine they have them.....mines coming out and going in the bin :thumbsup:

There are some cars (saw an example of a mitsi 3000gt) who can get away with out it as there is no uk equivilent listed for it, the GTO is the closest but not close enough so he got away with out the cat.

Not sure if youll get away without one being a 94, depends if they have mr2 turbo on file or not...

Well I've checked most MOT lists i.e. the list that sits next to the emmisions machine, and there is no 3S GTE shown for the MR2. Just make the clear distinction between the turbo and N/A but don't let on that the GT4 has the same engine...

if the tester can't find a match and the car is pre June 95 it is tested on a non-cat test.

Post June '95 - it's tested against a cat test.

Well - hopefully this is the difinitive answer. Looks like you can rest easy!! :)

somthing no one has mentioned that all jap car owners should know is that if ye engin and exhaust is hot ye emmisions read a lot lower ...so go for a run before ye test. but in all honesty my 1990 turbo flew through with no probs and was well below the nesserserry level

this question has perplexed for ages. ive been told pre 92 and pre 95 cars for the de-cat,...so,.....

i have a new pal who works in an mot place and the other day he got the mot bible out. it was a bit cagey and he couldnt offer a definitive answer but did point out that if the car has a lambda sensor (which mr2 does), then it has to have a cat test. if however you hide the lambda sensor wire (well outta the way) so they cant see it, it should pass!

hope this helps :thumbsup:

The Pic I posted above is out of thier bible .. it says that no cat test is needed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links