Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why a Corolla T Sport?

Spike

Hi, I'm thinking of swapping my MG F for something a little more practical but still quick and fun to drive. I've taken out a Civic Type R, Corolla T Sport and a Leon Cupra. I quite like the T Sport and Type R. But which one? Why should I go for the T Sport? Can you help?

let me think....

toyota reliability

performace

cost

friendly forum, did I say Hi

sorry not to be more help than that, I'm sure one of the T-Spot owners will give more info, but have heard really good thiings about the Yaris T-Spot.

Toyota are one of the best ccar companies in the world

The corrolla has won many awards as well as Toyota.

But i guess we would all be biased... But we would not be here if Toyota was crap.

Y a T Sport,

if you've taken them out I don't understand why your asking why,

The T Sport gives all round handling not just straight line speed, has many more features than the R, (when I asked the Honda salesman (boy) this Why the R and not the T he replyed that all R's have a little Badge near the hand brake with a special number on it !!!!! :o )

The R is smaller or has less useable interior space than the T (except fot the middle rear seat passenge due to the flat floor)

T Sport has gear lever where it should (he he) T has traction control, brake assist, AC,

Your in a much more select club in a T Sport Corolla every one has a Type R.

I've just been parked next to a R in car park tonight, external looks, it's a very close call, R does look good on the road, inside T wins hands down, though the seats in the R (@1K's worth) are excellent, but I'd prefer other things for my money.

As they are both Jap cars your going to get good service and reliabilty from both, but you may find you'll get better resale with the T.

My advice if you do go for the T, get 17" alloys fitted (18" if you can afford the tryes) handles far better and less use of the traction control.

With a few mods you can soon get you T up to 230 bhp if you wanted to.

TTE parts out soon in the UK

lower springs, short throw shift kit, front spoiler, twin exhuast, to name but a few.

Better fuel consumption in the T.

I drove both the cars for 2 long test drive's and it was a difficult choice out and out straight line performance over the slightly more refined behaviour of the T. My choice was based on creature comforts and toys in the end (oh and did I mention I've had 2 previous corollas)

I think also age may have something to do with, in my opinion the younger guy would go for the R (I'm 41 not over the hill but getting closer to the top lol), may be thats why I chose the T.

The list is endless, but like I said, if you've been for the test drive you already know most of this to be true, you just needed some body to confirm it to you.

Stop wasting your time go but the T and start enjoying, every drive is an experience to make you smile.

Oh and Welcome to the TOC, there no going back now ;)

Enjoy which ever car you buy. :D

What ever you do don't consider a Focus ST170 see www.ffoc

Rhaines has a valid point below check out the R's club I'm sure they'll convince you the R's the car for you... no one said it would be easy :D

Just out of interest now have you posted the same question to a Type 'R' forum (is their one), if so what was there response, it would be interesting to see what they say in defense, especially after Jakes comment about the sales guy ie numbered Badge.

Could really get a chance to answer any questions you have from differing posts then :)

I think it's going to go down to personal preference, I've driven neither but if you were to go by looks alone I would have to choose the Honda, sorry Toyota die-hards buts that's just my opinion. I've had Hondas before; a Prelude and a Civic and found them to be just as reliable and well made as the Toyotas I've had.

But you may well find that overall the Toyota is the more practical car (if that's what you want) ;)

and keep in mind that if you really want TS to handle better, you can always buy either a lowering kit from TTE OR buy a whole new suspension tuneup from TTE as well... Right now Type R handles better than TS, but you can improve TS's handling easily... keep in mind that it will reduce your comfort...

Many thanks for the info to date. I will head off and ask the same question to the Civic folk. I'll also have a nose at the ST170 site. Arranging another test drive and chat with my local Toyota and Honda dealers tomorrow. The TS looks the favorite at the moment. What's the better looking 3 or 5 door? Cheers!

Hi Spike,

3/5 I think that 3 door hatches alway look better than 5, but i can see the practical benefits of 5, just have no need for them myself, the sound of the T can also be imroved further by the addition of the new TTE twin exhaust, on handling I still maintain that a standard T handles better than the R on any thing other than straight roads, during test in some what wet conditions I had the back of thr R trying to pass on 3 occasions, (which prompted the young sales guy to start pleading with me to return to the show room), I had no such experience with the T, and since I've had mine, and got to understand it's handling charateristics even more, I'm even more convined it's a better driving experience. But those who like to be right on the limit or even just over the edge will love the R for it's rawness.

A few of the guys from main land europe who have already had their T's lowered have siad it does little to effect comfort, but does a lot to improve the ride.

I think Carl's right it one of those "you got the money you make your choice" neither is a bad car, both will bring years of reliable trouble free FUN motoring.

Just don't get an ST170 :D

The three-door is more likely to have a stiffer bodyshell. And yes definitely steer clear of Ford! ;)

may opinion on the ST170 is based on fact, actually had one for 28 days, but managed to get a full refund on the grounds that the cars was not fit for purpose, my main issue was that for the first 90 secounds of each trip (with a cold engine) you had nor servo assist for your brakes, the list of issues with the cars is noe in excess of 70, well done Uncle Henry :P

Ladies and Gentlemen

Many thanks for all your advice, views and opinions. After much deliberation and investigation we signed on the dotted line and will be taking delivery of a Toyota Corolla T Sport in the, hopefully, not too distant future. Happy Christmas to me!

In the end the Type R fell by the wayside assisted by a rather arrogant dealer sales ‘consultant’ who really did pee me off. Luckily not all ‘sales consultants’ are built the same and my local Toyota dealer came through with flying colours.

So it’s a black T Sport for me. I must admit the picture of Jake’s T Sport assisted in the colour choice. As to the number of doors? It will have 5. I liked the look of the three door but I fancy the extra practicality of five, also I saw Petri from Finland’s pictures on his website and that sealed it for me. Petri should become a photographer for Toyota because his pictures did help me to make up my mind. Where can I get my hands on a TTE sports silencer? It does look rather nice.

Also this Club feels more friendlier and helpful than some others.

Once again many thanks for all your help.

Spike

Spike,

Congratulations on your decision and thanks for your comments regarding T Sport pictures. T Sport looks good even with five doors, and they come in handy when you have kids :)

TTE sports silencer should be available from any Toyota dealer. The full TTE line of accessories is available from the Toyota dealers in Finland, don't know about UK/rest of Europe...

Br Petri

Originally posted by Spike

Ladies and Gentlemen

>So it’s a black T Sport for me.  I must admit the picture of Jake’s T Sport assisted in the colour choice.  As to the number of doors?  It will have 5.  I liked the look of the three door but I fancy the extra practicality of five, also I saw Petri from Finland’s pictures on his website and that sealed it for me.  Petri should become a photographer for Toyota because his pictures did help me to make up my mind.  Where can I get my hands on a TTE sports silencer?  It does look rather nice.

Hi Spike,

great choice of car, (not sure about the colour though ;) ) I can see the practicalities of 5 doors just have no use for them myself. I was sure the TTE exhaust was already available in the UK, with the rest of the parts to follow soon (maybe wrong !!).

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

and welcome to the club :D

you will luv the car... I love gettin in into the lift, and gettin confused look onto the faces of lowered bimmer owners who i pass ;-)

Problem with the Type R is you dont get much feed back through the steering. If you only have the car on a quick test drive your never going to be able to know what the car's capable of in the twisties. I would say its taken me a good 3-4 weeks to become familiar with the steering/handling (confidently), going from a Saxo VTS which told you everything that was going on, to the CTR that felt numb.

In the wet it can be fun and likes to understeer, back only ever tried to overtake me once when i had to lift-off mid corner due to some numpty cutting me off. As long as you dont lift off mid corner you've no worries. Acceleration in the wet takes practice, or you'll wheel spin in 1st/2nd/3rd without even trying.

Ive always modified cars, generally starting with the suspension. This is one car i certainly wont be 'de-grading' it by lowering etc. I dont think it can be any better :D

I know you guys will like the T sport over the Type R, fairly obvious being a Toyota board, im not saying one is better than the other. People have different tastes and needs.

P.S. That gear lever is designed for quick, direct changes, all knobs should be like that ;) Oh, and traction control is for wimps :D ;) lol

P.P.S. I do actually like the T Sport :) And will have a Yaris T Sport in the family shorly :P

A good friend of mine has got a Accord Type-R, does the Civic make the same kind of noise when you wind it right up, to be honest I have never heard anything quite like it for a 4 cyl engine. I have a Yaris T-Sport and really like it, but am really interested in somthing with some more BHP. I really like the Civic, but I should really look at a Corolla TS aswell. I just love Honda engines they are unreal, I will never forget redlining a S2000 at 9500 RPM. Or should I look at keeping my licence and buy a Discovery 2.5 TD5 auto. :o

The engine in the CTR is the new iVTEC. It does sound really nice when it changes over at 6k upto 8250rpm. Its probably a little quieter that the ATR and definitely not as loud at the S2000 at 9500, thats a monster, and my next dream car ;)

Overtaking people up in the 6k+ range has the driver looking at you wondering what hells making 'that' noise :D

Also, stick on a good induction kit and people have commented on the noise becoming 'phenominal' (SP?) on changeover ;)

You only live once, get a car your gonna enjoy, never drove a Corolla TS so cant comment on one, but ive covered 3500miles in the CTR and love every minute of it. :D

actually - according to TopGear, TS makes nicer/meaner sound than Civic Type R

;-)

and boy, it does make some wonderful sounds....

alright peeps.

Don't anybody buy a T-sport!!!!

Only joking chaps, been told today at work that I won't take delivery of mine until 22nd Jan!!!! This is because of demand for the new Corolla (so everybody stop ordering them or I'll never get one:mad:) Cant wait to get it though, they do sound mint but I'm going to get an induction kit as soon as one is available. If anybody knows of one let me know. Thought about a universal fitment but don't know how good they are!!! Any comments? John

Our dealer is heavily promoting something called superguard, apparently it keeps the paintwork and interior in mint condition, and even if it doesn't, it's guaranteed to be fixed/replaced. Has anyone had any dealings, or experience with this - is it something I should really consider? The RRP is £300.

Oh by the way Evap, the RRP for the Tsport in the UK is £15995 for the 5dr (that is about $24,900 as per the currency converter) So that seems that we get a better deal sorry - it makes a change!!:o

Eavp,

TS is 23000 Euros here in Croatia...it would be cheaper if it weren't for some stupid tax that rises in percentage as the car's net price gets higher...damn...and there is a 0 % customs charge because it was made in EU, not Japan, but they compensate that rather well with the tax...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links