Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction Kits

RJackson

I recently installed an induction kit into my '97 Starlet Sportif (Shown Below), having heard the great noise that such a mod can produce.

I had also been informed that it has a "small" effect on fuel consumption.

The mod itself was a superb success in my opinion and i have been unable to stop smiling like a lunatic every time i hear that superb Roar when i put my foot down, but over the past few days i have only traveled 30 miles and used about 10-15 liters of fuel, the effect is so large in fact that the fuel gauge visibly moves between leaving work and getting home (2 miles). For this reason I've decided to swallow my pride and fit the stock air box back on, regaining my 40+ mpg consumption rate. Before i do this though i decided i would post here to find out if anyone else has found a similar effect, whether more or less dramatic. let me know how an induction kit has affected your fuel economy.

Also if anyone knows anything i may have done wrong judging from the photo posted below, don't hesitate to put me right.

I thought an induction kit would of been a fantastic addition to a fantastic yet under-rated car, yet it seems only suitable to people with deep pockets filled with cash.

Any other opinions or advice welcome on this subject.

-1202518071-1-l.jpg

-1202518071-2-l.jpg

Looks Good!!!

As a rule of thumb, when you've replaced the stock intake, with a filter cone. You have part for part allowed more air into the engine at any given rate, i have a similar conversion on my Corolla Gti, fuel consumption went through the roof!! This is due to you giving the fuel/air mixture more air to play with.. What you have acheived is a leaning of the mixture, you've given more air, but not more fuel, so you're probably, actually giving the car more accelerator pedal to try and compensate.

The solution is to re-tune the cars air/fuel mixture, I have a track car Corolla Gti, thats got a cone and a re-worked exhaust. i've had to adjust the mixture screw all the way rich to acheive a decent ratio(appx 1.5 CO).

i reckon if you put the cone back on, but make the mixture richer, you'll experience much better economy. Not as economic as the stock system, but still pretty good, you may even want to mess around with fitting an FSE Fuel booster actuator.. Ultimately its all on the re-tuning...

Good Luck :D

Brad

vac6_tn.gif

Looks Good!!!

As a rule of thumb, when you've replaced the stock intake, with a filter cone. You have part for part allowed more air into the engine at any given rate, i have a similar conversion on my Corolla Gti, fuel consumption went through the roof!! This is due to you giving the fuel/air mixture more air to play with.. What you have acheived is a leaning of the mixture, you've given more air, but not more fuel, so you're probably, actually giving the car more accelerator pedal to try and compensate.

The solution is to re-tune the cars air/fuel mixture, I have a track car Corolla Gti, thats got a cone and a re-worked exhaust. i've had to adjust the mixture screw all the way rich to acheive a decent ratio(appx 1.5 CO).

i reckon if you put the cone back on, but make the mixture richer, you'll experience much better economy. Not as economic as the stock system, but still pretty good, you may even want to mess around with fitting an FSE Fuel booster actuator.. Ultimately its all on the re-tuning...

Good Luck :D

Brad

I thought adjusting the screw was something you did in a carburettor, this is an ECU controlled injection, or am i missing the point entirely?

Ha this old one.

You put on an induction kit then enjoyed the noise, ie continually floored the juice pedal to hear that noise, the answer is in your right foot my friend.

You look like you have tried to get some cool air feed to the induction kit, but there are good reasons for creating a separate box, you look like you have got max distance from the warm manifold but a higher intake might be getting more hot air in there, which is not good.

You can get your ecu re mapped to suit your better air intake but try fitting it again without going nuts with your right foot, and see what the difference is like.

i have a question, where did you get that silver flexi pipe from ? i want some for mine thats all

I'm with martin on this one.

I would be VERY suprised if the fitting of an induction kit actually does anything to your fuel economy.

As above, it's your foot that's the problem, not the cone filter.

i have a question, where did you get that silver flexi pipe from ? i want some for mine thats all

its just standard Halfords stuff, you'll probably find it in with the air filters

Seems i might have clouded the issue here. These guys are right about you maybe mashing the loud pedal a bit too much, but once you get over the buzz of hearing 'that roar' when you give her a good poke, and start driving normally again!! Then there is no reason why you shouldnt see decent mpg. I'm not suggesting that your fuel econonomy is going to improve over the stock filters mpg, just that it won't be dreadful if you perservere with the cone.

Toyota EFi have one of the best set-up configurations, where fuel CAN be adjusted by the means of a mixture screw(just like on the old carbs).

Its undeniable that your engine has been set to receive and fuel the volume let in by the stock air filter. Some cars have a flappy padle type Air flow meter, where if you introduce more air, then the ECU will notice and adjust accordingly. Toyota's like the starlet do not. The ECU relys on info from the Throttle position sensor(amongst others), to adjust by a set of pre determined calculations; fueling and spark advance etc. In short, if you de resrict the air intake by fitting a cone, then there is no way the ECU can notice and adjust for the extra air. To get the best out of it you would have to re-map.

Its also undeniable that in fitting the cone, you have made more air available. In effect, you have made the overall mixture 'lean'. So, you must richen the mixture by adjusting the mixture screw.

Somewhere in the engine bay there is a small black oval item with a small cylinder in the center(usually topped by a rubber bung), on one end of this you will see the letters L and R with an arrow ended line between. This is the fuel mixture variable resistor. Its mounted by the diagnosis plug on the passenger side front suspension strut. Once you've popped the bung out of the top you'll see the screw in the cylinder. It can only be adjusted 130 degrees left to right. In that range, i would estimate setting its position at least 100 degrees towards rich.

If you don't think your running lean with the filter cone fitted, hook out one of the spark plugs and check its condition. I'd put money on it being a bit white.

Get a workshop manual, if you havent already. It will help no end when it comes to setting up mixture and tick-over etc

Oh and welcome to the world of shoddy cheap tuning!! :D

Brad

Seems i might have clouded the issue here. These guys are right about you maybe mashing the loud pedal a bit too much, but once you get over the buzz of hearing 'that roar' when you give her a good poke, and start driving normally again!! Then there is no reason why you shouldnt see decent mpg. I'm not suggesting that your fuel econonomy is going to improve over the stock filters mpg, just that it won't be dreadful if you perservere with the cone.

Toyota EFi have one of the best set-up configurations, where fuel CAN be adjusted by the means of a mixture screw(just like on the old carbs).

Its undeniable that your engine has been set to receive and fuel the volume let in by the stock air filter. Some cars have a flappy padle type Air flow meter, where if you introduce more air, then the ECU will notice and adjust accordingly. Toyota's like the starlet do not. The ECU relys on info from the Throttle position sensor(amongst others), to adjust by a set of pre determined calculations; fueling and spark advance etc. In short, if you de resrict the air intake by fitting a cone, then there is no way the ECU can notice and adjust for the extra air. To get the best out of it you would have to re-map.

Its also undeniable that in fitting the cone, you have made more air available. In effect, you have made the overall mixture 'lean'. So, you must richen the mixture by adjusting the mixture screw.

Somewhere in the engine bay there is a small black oval item with a small cylinder in the center(usually topped by a rubber bung), on one end of this you will see the letters L and R with an arrow ended line between. This is the fuel mixture variable resistor. Its mounted by the diagnosis plug on the passenger side front suspension strut. Once you've popped the bung out of the top you'll see the screw in the cylinder. It can only be adjusted 130 degrees left to right. In that range, i would estimate setting its position at least 100 degrees towards rich.

If you don't think your running lean with the filter cone fitted, hook out one of the spark plugs and check its condition. I'd put money on it being a bit white.

Get a workshop manual, if you havent already. It will help no end when it comes to setting up mixture and tick-over etc

Oh and welcome to the world of shoddy cheap tuning!! :D

Brad

Any idea where i could get a workshop manual for a starlet, i've had a quick look around and can't seem to find one.

Brad,

Had a poke around the engine bay and can't find any sign of the screw you speak of, do you have any pictures?

Brad,

Had a poke around the engine bay and can't find any sign of the screw you speak of, do you have any pictures?

NOOOO!! Can't find starlet workshop manuals anywhere! It may be a case of asking one of the starlet owners here, where are the mixture/tickover adjustment screws? They are generally a helpful bunch..

Its another one of those, if the car was here i could look...

Hope you find the info needed and manage to get your sportif running sweet

Brad :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links