Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

About To Buy A 2001 Y Reg Mr2

John Edgington

Good morning

My daughter is on the verge of buying a 2001 Y Reg MR2 and we need some help and direction please. The car is for sale at £5K and from the pictures etc seems to be in reasonable condition. I'm going to look at it later today so what should I look out for?????

Is this a reasonable price, I reckon that I might get a few hundred knocked off for cash

This car will spend most of its time outside and does not have a hard top, is this going to be a problem.

Engine, these seem to be bullet proof so anything specific

G/box and drive, again anything specific.

Any help appreciated as the young lady will not be able to afford mega fixes if we get it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Features: 76,330 miles Manual Silver Petrol Convertible Y reg (2001) Full Description:

2 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Convertible, Petrol, 76,330 miles, Metallic Silver, MOT-02-2009, 2 Owners. Genuine miles, Major Credit Cards Accepted, Lady owned, Warranty Finance And PX available, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Radio/Cassette, Radio/CD, Part Service History. £4,995

My daughter is on the verge of buying a 2001 Y Reg MR2 and we need some help and direction please. The car is for sale at £5K and from the pictures etc seems to be in reasonable condition. I'm going to look at it later today so what should I look out for?????

I just bought a Y-reg a couple of weeks ago, after doing a lot of reading on this forum and others :)

Is this a reasonable price, I reckon that I might get a few hundred knocked off for cash

I'd say the price is there or thereabouts if it's in good nick. The big problem with these cars is the engines, and when they let go you have to get a whole new one.

The pre-cat problem has never been admitted by Toyota to my knowledge. But there are stories going around that some X-reg cars with high oil consumption (1l/1000 miles) are having engine fixes applied gratis. Not sure how true that is.

I guess you just don't know if trouble is round the corner. In the end I bought a 38000-miler in the hope that the engine was trouble-free, but it has probably done plenty of short trips in that time.

This car will spend most of its time outside and does not have a hard top, is this going to be a problem.

After seven years or so, the roof will be showing it's age if it hasn't been given a lot of tlc. Mine is stiff and beginning to perish. It is perfectly warm inside, though, so a hardtop is not needed to keep out the winter chill.

I also went for a car with a full service history. That could be an issue if the engine does break and you try to bargain with Toyota.

On reflection, this probably sounds a bit negative :D

However, I doubt you could buy a better drivers car for £5k. The handling is every bit as good as everybody says it is.

Paul.

phew what a can of worms this lot is. Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

It seems to me that ideally you dont buy one of these with a high mileage unless you can afford to spend some money on things like an engine rebuild. I've been to look at the car and its in good nick apart from a mark on the bonnet but so far I have not started it up. Perhaps I should pursuade the daughter to buy something else.

Has anyone got any experience of an outfit in Bradford called Smart Wheels Cars as this is where the car is located.

well we have taken the plunge and purchased a 2000 MR2. Its a nice motor with 50k on the clock, silver with hard top. When its home I'll post a couple of pictures. Next week its going in for the pre cat removal so that will give us some peace of mind.

The only thing that I can find wrong with it is that the volume control knob on the radio does not work. Its a Sony WX-C570R so does anyone know of a replacement for this that will be an easy exchange or can these still be repaired.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links