Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have I Screwed My Engine?

Rev2 Matt

Hi All. I'm new to this so please go easy on me for my stupid mistake. I have just picked up a clean Rev2 with full dealer history and leather. I have always wanted one and this one came up at the right price. When I bought it the dealer told me they had run out of fuel in it on the way back from the MOT. As I was going to do a 90 mile trip to get it back I thought it would be an idea to put some injector cleaner into it on the way back incase there was any muck sucked through when it ran out. I literally grabbed the stuff off the shelf, bought it, went outside and emptied about 100ml into the now full tank. I drove back fine and when I got home I went to the garage and filled up again to see how much it had used to gauge how economical it was. Unfortunately today I have noticed that the stuff I put in was designed as an addative for cars that ran on leaded fuel and it wasn't the injector cleaner as first thought. It seems to be fine and is running very smoothley but I'm worried about lasting damage if I continue to use it.

I know it was a completly stupid thing to do and I feel like a right knob now. I guess I was still on a buzz from getting it!

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Matt

Welcome.

I'd be very surprised if you've done any harm at all. Probably didn't do any good, so was a waste of money, but I doubt any damage would ensue.

Lets have some pics of this new car.

Tony

no should be fine, shouldnt have any long term effects

dude its fine, the leaded additive just has a lubricant in the additive to ease the guide of the valves,

what you added would not harm what you have, honestly relax its cool.

i did the same.

its cool.

Cheers guys. Have asked a few people here too and the general opinion was that the only damage it may do would be to the cat and that would take a while to screw it up. I guess we'll see when it is mot's next year. I am totally stoked with the car, I really can't believe how nice they are to drive and how it feels a million times better built than anything I have had before. I used to have an MX5 (don't laugh it was really good to drive) and was toying with getting another but had always fancied the MR2 as they were bigger and less girlie. The one I went for came up at a dealers at £1995 with 24 main dealer service history stamps. It's a Rev 2 GT T-bar in red, Will post pics up as soon as possible.

Nothing wrong with MX5s, they're great little cars

I prefer what you've got now though, welcome to the club

Nothing wrong with MX5s, they're great little cars

I prefer what you've got now though, welcome to the club

totally "KEV" said what i was thinking,mx5 is a wicked car!

ejoy the 2

my na gti -16 is u forsale soon as my missus wants a new house.

how much is a divorce these days?

how much is a divorce these days?

As the saying goes, 'if you have to ask, then you can't afford it' ;)

Great deal there Matt. Not many Rev 1s with FTSH around. Look after it.

And I second the comments about the MX-5. Great cars, and nobody should be put off owning one just because of what other people think.

The MR2 is betterer though (IMHO) and certainly has much more carrying capacity.

Hi All. I spoke to Redex who supply the Lead replacement stuff. They said that in short term testing they have not noticed any ill effects to the cars with or without cats. If it was the one shot stuff then it raises the octane rating and can cause damage to a cat but the stuff I put in would be fine. Phew!

Cheers for all the advice. I agree with all the comments re the MX5. Mine was a Mk1 with 17's and it looked sweet. It was a little small though and the differences between the MX and the MR2 are vast. I have been checking the service history on my car and it has 26 stamps from a main dealer for servicing which can't be bad. It has literally done 10k in the last 5 years and has been serviced every six months within that time.

I take it the engines in the MR2 are pretty bullet proof by the sounds of things. i was looking at an MGF as well but hated the driving position and their reliability worried me to say the least! I think the MR2 wasa wise choice and I'm loving it more each day.

Thanks again for the advice, Matt

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links