Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Type Of The Frontlights?

Speed_Chaser

Hello everyone!

I am new here so here is something about me and my car.

I come from Helsinki, Finland and has Auris 1.6 with M-MT.

My plan is to make some changes to my Toyota just to get a slightly different and fresh

look. When I got the car from my dealer it allready had an iPod connection, door scuff

plates, rear parking radar, rear spoiler and mud plates for every wheel. Afterwards I bought

"J" rims from Dezent and fitted them on my new Nokian RSi winter tyres. I am planning to sell

my summer tyres and buy some rims and tyres for summer too. (The size will be bigger than

the original 205/55 R16'').

Also I have ordered yellow 2x12'' neon lights to give some

more light to the cabin.

For now the next step is xenon conversion kit, but I have some non-understandable

information in my user's manual about the bulb types. It says that cars with xenon have

halogen bulbs, and worse models (like mine) with lights made for halogen are using

xenon bulbs...??? (Xenon cars - D4S Halogen, Halogen cars - H11 Xenon bulbs).

Would appreciate if someone who has halogen lights on his Auris could tell me which

type are they. I found some discussion about the bulb types here on toyotaownersclub, but

there was plenty of differences between the answers. Someone was telling Auris uses H11,

someone was talking about HB3. I called to my dealer and he said that my car is using HB3, but

was very unsure, that's why checking if someone would be 100% sure.

I'm too lazy to open the hood and check myself the type of my Auris' bulbs :rolleyes:

And one more thing: As you all know, Auris has it's original driving lights behind those lenses,

and lights for a long vision (60W) closer to the car's corners, in the same place with parking lights.

How can I make them both xenon? I think i can't use Bi-Xenon bulbs because I have lights for

long and short vision in different places... Or am I wrong?

Or do I just have to buy 2 conversion kits?

With friendly regards, Alex-C

You need 1 for each set of headlights so you need 2 Xenon kits. Also I don't recommend converting your long vision lights to Xenon.

Why is that? I thought it would be good to have long vision Xenons... I'm wondering if there is any xenon conversion sets made for long vision lights? Or do I just need to buy 50-55W conversion set to upgrade my long visions?

Xenons needs time to warm, to light up so you won't be able to flash (sorry, I don't know the English term for it, you know when you pull the light/signal switch to yourself and your long vision lights turn on, when you let go the switch they go off) because the Xenons won't warm and light up fast enough.

However if you want to convert all your short/long range lights to xenon, you need to buy 1 "H11" kit for the short ones AND 1 "HB3" kit for the long ones. 6000K would be nice but if you want a little more blueish lights, go for the 8000K but 6000K gives more powerful light.

There's no different type of xenon kit for short/long distance lights, there's only xenon kits for bulb types like H4, H3, H11 et cetera...

Xenons needs time to warm, to light up so you won't be able to flash (sorry, I don't know the English term for it, you know when you pull the light/signal switch to yourself and your long vision lights turn on, when you let go the switch they go off) because the Xenons won't warm and light up fast enough.

However if you want to convert all your short/long range lights to Xenon, you need to buy 1 "H11" kit for the short ones AND 1 "HB3" kit for the long ones. 6000K would be nice but if you want a little more blueish lights, go for the 8000K but 6000K gives more powerful light.

There's no different type of Xenon kit for short/long distance lights, there's only Xenon kits for bulb types like H4, H3, H11 et cetera...

Thanks for advice mate, i get the flashing thing!

But I have seen once that one drived had a Mercedes Benz and Xenons everywhere, even foglights (long distance also of course). And when he blinked, it worked. Maybe that's because he had Mercedes lol :D Naah, just joking. I think that he just had Bi-Xenon...? Tell me if I'm wrong.

Could you please tell me Toscane one more thing, how it works if I buy one H11 and one HB3 which are both same? I think that long distance lights must have more Watts? Because if I'll buy H11 and HB3 which are the same power, I'll just get two pairs of lights for the short distance? So i must to take one "original" xenon, (35w) and another xenon which is 55w... Or am I wrong? Yes I know you said that there is no different type of xenon, but I think I've seen 55w sets somewhere. Because I don't get how I'll get long vision and short vision when I have just two "normal" xenons, as I said before.

Hope you'll understand!

Hi Alex C

I fitted Xenons to my car this morning!

I fitted 6000K and they look superb. I went for a drive tonight and the light is so much brighter. It looks like they were factory fitted.

As has been said on here - I wouldnt fit "high beam" xenons as they would not light up in time.

You could fit xenon foglights, but you would end up with ballasts all over the place!

I will try to post some pics of my xenons in the next few days, but the weather in Scotland is terrible at the moment!!

Andy

Ah, Bi-xenon is a totally different thing. It doesn't have 2 separate bulbs, it has only one bulb which is already on with short distance and when you want to blink(i guess that's the term lol) a shield goes down or comes up and opens the long range part and you, blink. :) Or the bulb moves in an angle and the already light up bulb goes to an angle and lights your long range lights. Man I confused the hell out of myself now but you get the idea, right. ;) That might the the case with Mercedes, so I believe you're correct brother.

I didn't know that there are 55W xenon kits, I thought they're all 35W. :confused:

Yeah, I'm waiting for the pics. Would love to see how they look like, even I thought to put the 8000k model on my car. Don't know, maybe it isn't very good idea. Maybe I'll end up to a 6000k kit also, especially because of the police, don't want any problems because of the "blueish - non factory -look", but it would cost too much to buy legal xenon (legal installation needs also washers for the headlights and AUTOMATICAL height regulator for the lights. Don't know is it the same in other countries or have you installed all legally (Andy for example).

I didn't really get any answer to my last question from Toscane according to wide beam Non-BiXenon -solution, so can anyone explain? (I don't think I will buy another xenon kit for wide beams because of what the guys said about the lighting lag) but I just got curious; is there any other way than 55w xenon kit to convert your wide beam lights to Xenon if you're not able to use Bi-Xenon?

Because I think there is no H11 Bi-Xenons at all :o

Alex,

I did just what you are planning - I did not do the washers and height adjust thing - that would have been way too expensive!

I bought the HID kit OFF eBay and installed it yesterday morning. It took about 30 mins to put in, very very easy.

I went for 6000K as you get a nice bright light. It looks very good, especially as the auris has projector headlights.

If the car had "normal" headlights, I would have gone for 8000K, but on the Auris, 6000K gives maximum light and looks fantastic. I would really recommend it.

Once the weather gets better, I will post some pics!

Regards

Andy :eek:

Alex,

I did just what you are planning - I did not do the washers and height adjust thing - that would have been way too expensive!

I bought the HID KIT OFF Ebay and installed it yesterday morning. It took about 30 mins to put in, very very easy.

So you have only short distance lights converted to xenon?

Does the long distance lights differ at all from the xenon lol :D Many people have said that if you have xenon for short and normal bulbs for the long distance, you don't really see the difference betweeng longs off and on.... Xenon power!

bi xenon which are installed on high end cars get their long vision by releasing the side of the bulb cover which will then produce more light at different angle. its some sort of mechanism to make a long vision a standard driving light by covering part of the bulb. so when flash is needed, it releases the lock instead of turning another bulb on.

Alex,

I bought the HID KIT OFF Ebay and installed it yesterday morning. It took about 30 mins to put in, very very easy.

I went for 6000K as you get a nice bright light. It looks very good, especially as the auris has projector headlights.

If the car had "normal" headlights, I would have gone for 8000K, but on the Auris, 6000K gives maximum light and looks fantastic. I would really recommend it.

Once the weather gets better, I will post some pics!

Regards

Out of interest who's kit did you buy and what was the cost as you seem to be spoilt for choice on eBay? Also where the ballasts easy to locate as it seems a little tight under the bonnet.

My last car had xenon lights on it and they are fab so would like to do the upgrade on Auris sometime soon.

There are pretty tiny ballasts on the market these days, almost the same size as a matchbox. I'm sure they will be very easy to mount somewhere under the hood.

TopTurn,

I bought cheap HIDs as they were such a bargain, I figured I wouldnt lose much if they werent any good.

I bought these :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-Xenon-Conversion...1QQcmdZViewItem

They are excellent! They took about 8 days to come and could be fitted in half an hour!

Ive only tried them a couple of times as the weather is keeping me in the house, but they look cool!

The ballasts are easily hidden - I tie wrapped them to the cross members that sit above the headlamp units, but there is quite a lot of room behing the lights in an Auris, so hiding them should not be a factor.

The only thing that surprised me is the noise of the ballasts - they kinda whistle for around 30 secs when the lights are turned on, but then quieten down?

As said earlier, they look like factory fit and I would recommend them 100% to all.

Regards

andy :eek:

Strange,

worked earlier?

For some reason, the short cut wont point to the page.

Go to eBay UK and search for :

HID xenon Conversion Kit,H1 H3 H4 H7 H11 9004 9006 9007

and you will see the items from the seller I used.

Please enter the search as above and you will only see his items.

Seller name is mototekc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links