Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Some Advice About My Mr2 Front Suspension

calidon1

Hi everybody, this is my first post.

I have a UK spec non-turbo MR2 (1991) and today i changed both front suspension legs (including coils) because the old ones were knackered and rusty like hell. I had some bilstein ones put in and the ride feels much better but unfortunately there is a knocking sound everytime i go over a bump or hole. I have also noticed that the car is much lower at the front than before so could this be why?? and is there anyway to sort this out?

:(

Hi

The ride height is determined by the springs. Most aftermarket kits are marketed to provide a lower stance. You must have fitted one of these by mistake. Standard ride height springs are also widely available.

I assume the 'knocking' noise wasn't there previously?

There are two real candidates.

(i) Top mounts. The strut shaft sits on a bearing within this unit. It eventually wears out causing rattles. You probably would have noticed this during the swap if that was the case. To test, rais the front of the car. grab the strut shaft (the chrome bit) and check for lateral play.

(ii) Anti-roll-bar drop links. Again a common problem. You should have notes a general slackness in eother the top or bottom bearing of these during the swap as they needed to be swapped over to the new components. Whitht he lowered stance these would now be sitting at a slightly different angle which may have revealed a previously unseen weakness.

Others problems could be the bushes on the ARB or their mounting bracket may have failed.

Get the car up on jack stands and have a good poke around with a pry-bar before buying any parts.

Good luck

Thanks for your advice, but thankfully its sorted out now.

I took it back to the mechanic today and he adjusted the suspension from the top (under bonnet) and it now rides like a gem. Happy days!!

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links