Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator Problem

dmcconnell

I have a jan 2007 toyota yaris. had it for a year but my daughter drove it the other day, She hadn't driven it for 7 months said there was something wrong with clutch. 13,000 miles on car now.

Also the accelerator has been sticking. Thought it was the toyota mats supplied with it but yesterday I had an awful experience the accelerator stuck completely. I managed to get the car stopped by putting it out of gear and braking and pulled the mat away but the car was still revving at a very fast rate. Looked at accelerator but it still was stuck then all of a sudden it cleared itself. Is this dangerous? I have no confidence in the car now, dealer was closed today so could not contact. only out of garage the previous day had a new 'brain' installed as the maintenance light was on, garage said nothing serious it just was a faulty 'brain'. please advise

I have a jan 2007 toyota yaris. had it for a year but my daughter drove it the other day, She hadn't driven it for 7 months said there was something wrong with clutch. 13,000 miles on car now.

Also the accelerator has been sticking. Thought it was the toyota mats supplied with it but yesterday I had an awful experience the accelerator stuck completely. I managed to get the car stopped by putting it out of gear and braking and pulled the mat away but the car was still revving at a very fast rate. Looked at accelerator but it still was stuck then all of a sudden it cleared itself. Is this dangerous? I have no confidence in the car now, dealer was closed today so could not contact. only out of garage the previous day had a new 'brain' installed as the maintenance light was on, garage said nothing serious it just was a faulty 'brain'. please advise

I found this problem on a Carina E a few years ago & on my son-in-law's Carina last year. It was the accelerator cable that started fraying inside the outer cable. New cable was a dealer only part at the time & was £58.

It is a frightening experience when it happens, get it checked by a garage or try spraying some WD40 down the cable at the engine end with the small straw supplied with the product.

I found this problem on a Carina E a few years ago & on my son-in-law's Carina last year. It was the accelerator cable that started fraying inside the outer cable. New cable was a dealer only part at the time & was £58.

It is a frightening experience when it happens, get it checked by a garage or try spraying some WD40 down the cable at the engine end with the small straw supplied with the product.

Hi, before using ANY spray down the cable, check with Toyota that it is compatible as some sprays errode the inner teflon coating on many modern cables and make the problem worse once they dry out again! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, before using ANY spray down the cable, check with Toyota that it is compatible as some sprays errode the inner teflon coating on many modern cables and make the problem worse once they dry out again! :(

This happened to my 2007 yaris D4D It stuck on full throttle three times.When I contacted the dealer they said they have had this problem before and it was the accelerator pedal which is electronic and has no cable.They ordered a new pedal assembly and the problem has never come back so I think that was the cause.

akw909

Seeing as your Yaris is a Diesel it will have electronic accelerator. Best to get a dealer to take a look as it certainly isnt right.

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links