Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rubbing Rear Discs...

shakman87

i was test driving a yaris t sport, and the owner said its just had new rear discs and pads. so had a look and he wasn't lying, they were brand spankingly new, like they were just put on that day! but when i was driving it around i noticed that whenever i'd take a corner i could hear a light rubbing/grinding noise coming from the back wheel e.g. when i turn right, the back left wheel would make the noise, and when turning left the back right wheel would make a noise.

is this normal when new discs and pads have been fitted. i thought that maybe the pistons had not be wound back all the way or something, so the pad was still touching the disc.

can anyone enlighten my dilemma???

Its really hard to explain but this is what happened when i had my rear disks replacing...

Ill try and get you a better explanation from my personal mechanic later ;) but for now here goes...

There is a raised lip on the disk that rubs against the inside of the alloy or something like that, Basically i had to (or my bf had to rather) hammer the lip outwards a little so it wasnt rubbing on the alloy anymore...Its been fine ever since. like i said ill try and get you a 'not so girlie' reply later lol...

Cheers.

Do a search for it on here. Someone posted up pics and a full explanation of the problem. Will give you a clearer idea.

if the hand brake has been over adjusted it may be pull the cable on when cornering or the disc back plate may be too near the disc bend them back 5mm or so

I too have this, but only when going 'round left-hand bends...

How can a number of cars have the same issue if there isn't a design fault/ flaw?

Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

this problem is caused by corrosin swelling between the back plates, the back plate is 2 pieces welded together and the corrosion makes the tin plate touch the disc, i got mine done under warranty but before fitment a gave them many coats of laqeur

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links