Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyless Entry Annoyance !

Auris-Owner

I am a new owner of a 2008 Auris with keyless entry.

Even though this is a great feature and I enjoy using it, it also creates a big annoyance to me because it only works on the driver’s side. I know that I can use the remote control key to unlock the door, but the point of the keyless entry is not to have the key always in your hand or easily accessible.

Especially in the case where you have a child. If you take out your child from the back seat on the passenger side, you cannot lock the car unless you use the remote key. If you are approaching the car with your child in your hands, you must either use the remote to unlock, or go through the driver door first to unlock.

In the “old”, pre-keyless entry days, we kept the key in the same pocket so we could find it easily (and ladies in the same pocket of their handbags). Now with the keyless entry, you can easily get used to the comfort of not having to keep track of your key's exact position so it gets more difficult when you need to find it as in the scenario in the previous paragraph (in my case it is usually in the opposite pocket of my free hand :unsure: )

I know that the Nissan Qashqai works on driver and passenger doors and the trunk…

Any ideas ? can the keyless entry be enhanced to work on both sides of the car ?

Many thanks

Andreas

Its possible but here are my thoughts,

but i think this is more of a security reason

what if you stand near the unlocking zone and some theft opens your door from the other side?

you wouldnt want that to happen do you?..

But when they only allow driver door, theres more security as others cannot open the door

Theres always trade off between security and usability.

Depends on what you need

So basically you are annoyed and inconvenienced because you have to keep track of your car remote key and not keep it in the same place in your handbag.

I know it is hard work and stressful pressing a button on a remote control to unlock your car as you approach it, I feel your pain... honestly I do.

Just to keep things in perspective, here are some other people who are just as "inconvenienced and annoyed" as you are... But on a slightly different scale;

Click here...

:thumbsup:

So basically you are annoyed and inconvenienced because you have to keep track of your car remote key and not keep it in the same place in your handbag.

I know it is hard work and stressful pressing a button on a remote control to unlock your car as you approach it, I feel your pain... honestly I do.

Just to keep thing in perspective, here are some other people who are just as "inconvenienced and annoyed" as you are... But on a slightly different scale;

Click here...

PMSL!! :lol:

The only Toyota i have seen that allows you to lock/unlock from any door with keyless entry is the New Landcruiser V8 - and thats not cheap!

Mart.

The car locks itself within 60 seconds if the key isn't in the zone or tha car isn't running.

I believe there is a zone for the trunk though..

Just to keep things in perspective, here are some other people who are just as "inconvenienced and annoyed" as you are... But on a slightly different scale;

Click here...

That was below the belt and I consider it totally inappropriate to compare the two in a forum about autos while we are both sitting in the comfort of home typing on the computer.

To the point: Given that other car brands and the higher end of Toyota's car range, offer this different behaviour of the keyless entry system, makes me believe that this may be the result of keeping the car in a certain cost range, rather than security concerns or design issues. Thats why I am wondering whether this is something that can be enhanced.

The car locks itself within 60 seconds if the key isn't in the zone or tha car isn't running.

I believe there is a zone for the trunk though..

Thans for the update. However, I believe the 60 seconds rule applies only when you unlock the car but do not open the door. If you have just come out of the car after driving it, I believe it will not auto-lock if you do not keep the key in the zone.

For the trunk zone, even if there is a zone, I am not sure that you can open the trunk without unlocking the car first.

Im quite sure there is a trunkzone because I have never unlocked my car to access it while been away (or I just might have left the car unlocked all the time :P)

I believe you can actually those between 30sec or 60sec autolock when parked and away from the zone..

Im quite sure there is a trunkzone because I have never unlocked my car to access it while been away (or I just might have left the car unlocked all the time :P)

I believe you can actually those between 30sec or 60sec autolock when parked and away from the zone..

I have tested it a couple of times yesterday, and there is definitely no trunkzone in my case. I could not open the trunk unless I first unlocked the car via the remote or from the driver door.

This makes me wonder if there are different versions of the keyless entry mechanism ....

On my September 2007 T180, there wasn't a "Trunk Zone" in fact it had a single exterior zone around the front drivers door.

To open the tailgate you could either touch the drivers side door handles "inner side" and then open the tailgate, or use the remote keyfob to unlock the car, and then open the tailogate.

Ok, Im gonna check out my instruction booklet. I might just be wrong on this one although I meant I've read about a zone on the backside..

My current Auris has keyless entry, I also tried a couple of the auris's on our site and non of them have a so called trunk zone. The drivers door will only activate if you are approaching from the drivers side.

Its not much of a hardship having to press a button on a Fob if you want to open the boot or another of the doors.

You could have always saved yourself some money and opted for the hardship of pressing a button to get in your car. Lol, I mean you dont even need to put the key in the door anymore, its all remote, and atleast you know when your car is locked/unlocked if you have to press a button to open it. My opinion anyway!

You could have always saved yourself some money and opted for the hardship of pressing a button to get in your car. Lol, I mean you dont even need to put the key in the door anymore, its all remote, and atleast you know when your car is locked/unlocked if you have to press a button to open it. My opinion anyway!

There is no saving money element to it. Smart Entry/Push Start is standard on the T-Spirit and SR180.

You know when the car is unlocked on Smart Entry, because as you go to pull on the handle you can hear the door unlock and hey presto, the door opens. You also know that its locked, because as you push the button on the handle you can hear the car lock and the lights flash in the same way they do with just a normal remote key.

Smart Entry/Push Start is standard on the T-Spirit and SR180.

Only the T-Spirit, T180, and first few SR180's (modified T180's) had Keyless / Push-to-Start.... All SR180's that were destined to be SR180's from the outset have a key... and a rather big key at that! ;)

Only the T-Spirit, T180, and first few SR180's (modified T180's) had Keyless / Push-to-Start.... All SR180's that were destined to be SR180's from the outset have a key... and a rather big key at that! ;)

I drive an SR180 and have sold them too, have yet to see an SR180 without Smart Entry.

I drive an SR180 and have sold them too, have yet to see an SR180 without Smart Entry.

Want to take a look at my March 2008 SR180, and the rest at Toyota World Birmingham? Some-how I doubt they have special stock for this dealer!

Want to take a look at my March 2008 SR180, and the rest at Toyota World Birmingham? Some-how I doubt they have special stock for this dealer!

i dont doubt you, I have a January '08 180 with Push Start, Our dealership has sold only a handful of SR180's and they all had Push Start. Haven't sold one since March though. So cant say if the next we get wont have it, havent been told anything otherwise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links