Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Run-flats

Rav Raver

Hi all, just joined up to have a whinge about the cost of replacing my first run-flat tyre on my Rav4 T180. The Bridgestone Dueler 235/55 R18 HD/HT687 cost £369.19 (incl VAT) No tyre dealerships could get this tyre so was stuck with getting it a Toyota dealership. Is this across the board cost or is there any cheaper alternative? I wasn't told that a deflated tyre is a scrapped tyre and this could prove costly with no repair option.

Ouch!

Pirelli do a Run Flat, that comes in around the £150 mark I think. Your other alternative is ditch the run-flats and for the same price, get a full set of something else!

The Rav's runflat system is different to most other cars... the Bridgestones on the Rav use a self supporting ring (BSR)

050913.gif

Most other types of runflat tyre use a self supporting system where it's the actual sidewall of the tyre that takes the weight of the car. (I'm not sure if there is anything special about the actual tyre on the Rav, or if its just the BSR that makes it a "runflat" tyre... the tyre could well be just a normal tyre with this stupid ring bolted to the wheel)

Bridgestone won't as yet allow tyre retailers to fit these tyres, they only allow Bridgestone trained technicians to do it. There are some dealers who have had fitters trained whilst others have to send the wheel and tyre to Bridgestone to get the job done.. that might explain your £360+.

As for fitting something else.. you would need to check how it would affect the suspension and the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monotring System) a different wheel might upset the sensors and different tyres could make the ride to soft/hard as the suspension will be set to live along side the runflat system.

• 5 weeks later...

I guess this news effectively knocks about £2000 off the value of any car fitted with the 'run flat system'

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links