Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting Used To Multimode

liverpoolmiss

I've test driven both a manual and a multimode Yaris (1.4 diesel). I am in a state of indecision between the two!

From what I've read on this forum (which is very helpful, thanks!) it takes a while to get used to the MMT. My first impression was mixed, due to the lurching and timing of changes.

How long does it take to get used to? Weeks?

What exactly do you have to do to smooth out the changes? The salesman said to lift off the accelerator as it's about to change gear, but how easy is it to know when it's about to change gear? Or does lifting off prompt the gear box into changing?

Any help will be welcome because it's something I need to decide on before I become a Yaris owner for the first time!

If you can arrange for a 24 hour test drive so much the better I would explain your concerns to the dealer and if the dealer is any good he will not have a problem with that !!!

Its better to find out before you buy the car if you can live with this transmission system .

The earlier MMT were quite problematic on some versions of Toyota models they may have made improvements to the design which may overcome these problems

I've test driven both a manual and a multimode Yaris (1.4 diesel). I am in a state of indecision between the two!

From what I've read on this forum (which is very helpful, thanks!) it takes a while to get used to the MMT. My first impression was mixed, due to the lurching and timing of changes.

How long does it take to get used to? Weeks?

What exactly do you have to do to smooth out the changes? The salesman said to lift off the accelerator as it's about to change gear, but how easy is it to know when it's about to change gear? Or does lifting off prompt the gear box into changing?

Any help will be welcome because it's something I need to decide on before I become a Yaris owner for the first time!

I've been driving a Yaris 1.3 with MMT for about 2 years, I find it best not to do anything with the gas pedal whilst it's changing just keep your R foot steady.also don't forget to put on the handbreak every time you stop in traffic or at lights, that way you won't run back into the car at the back. I quite like this transmission but miss the torque converter creep which was useful to manouevre at low speed. Incidentally I gather that Toyota have axed MMT in the Yaris whilst keeping it for the Aygo.

Test drove an Aygo with MMT. Found it jerky. One think I didnt like was as liverpoolmiss mentioned a MMT will roll back when you stop, unlike a fully auto which wont.

Nickp.

Thanks!

I probably will chose not to have the MMT. Worried I won't get used to it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links