Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Help!

JappyBeast

Right, I have recently moved house and this house has ADSL... everytime you turn the PC on you have to 'dial up'.. on ADSL, it isnt ON all the time like my old VM Broadband.

Question,

We have recently signed up to Talk Talk and just received our wireless box, because we are on ADSL how on earth can you dial up all the time you want to use it or is it just on all the time like on VM? There are 2 PC's in this house with wifi dongles and I also have my 360 to set up (I normally put a network cable into the hub).

This might seem like a silly question.

Do you have CAT5 network cable ports on the back of the wireless router?

Stick a network cable from your pooter to the router, hey presto, instant internet! Always on, no need to sign up! Its very much dependant on how its set up - I believe a broadband router connected via USB dials in that way, but most people eother have CAT5 or wireless

Same with wireless really, you need to make sure, whether you're using wired or wireless that your Local Area Connection/Wireless Network Connection is enabled within Network Connections.

Have you moved house again then?

Buy me a beverage and I'll come round and sort it all out for you. :thumbsup:

So if I set the router up into my main phone line and put the USB dongle in, it will always be on?

So why does it dial at the moment then?..

Am I being blond?

Same house BTW.

So if I set the router up into my main phone line and put the USB dongle in, it will always be on?

So why does it dial at the moment then?..

Am I being blond?

Same house BTW.

No because a USB connected router doesnt work like that (in my knowledge anyway)

Just plug the router into the phone line and stick CAT5 cabling in and connect to the PC that way instead, providing you have a network card in your PC that is?

CAT5 cable is all you need for instant-ness! ;)

USB modem pretends to be an ethernet modem

what make and model is the wireless box?

PS never take advice from a woman, especially when she calls a computer a pooter

USB modem pretends to be an ethernet modem

what make and model is the wireless box?

PS never take advice from a woman, especially when she calls a computer a pooter

It's not got much written on it.

On the bottom it says Echolife HG520s.

Ideally the wireless box needs to be downstairs on the main phone line and both PC's are upstairs.

I beg your pardon Nadim.... :o

Dare you to say that to my face! :P

Was eagerly awaiting that reply :thumbsup:

Thought it might have been more severe :lol::bangin:

Stick the router in the phone line.

Put the dongles in the computers. Set up the software for it etc.

Connect to the router by cable first to set it up.

Then voila instant internet whenver you switch the computer on. That's how it works with me and I'm with AOL mate.

Nahh, I get used to guys jipes all day at work....

Yes I do work in IT, yes it is male dominated, no I'm not less of an asset because I have breasts :P

It doesnt matter what make and model the router is - my reply still stands.

Andy Pandy - just cable it up, don't listen to Nadim, he's just miffed because a woman answered a tech question before he could :lol:

I cant do that

I cant do that

Thought so....... :lol: :lol:

Get something like a netgear or cisco if you have the money, its easier to setup and it will have instructions

you might need to check the settings on the wireless router, default username is admin and the default password is admin

Not always Nadim.... Andys already said its a Talk Talk account, so they will have provided their own branded router and unlike those you buy in the shops, such as Netgear, Linksys etc they aren't defaulted to admin/admin.

It wont be a router setting, so long as he goes down the cabling route I suggested he won't have to fiddle with any of the settings.

Even easier then...

Activate wireless on network settings, type in WEP provided by TalkTalk.

And as Gordon would say...

DONE! :P :thumbsup:

All you need to do is buy a Wi-Fi ADSL router - if you have one that's fine

Bang in the cd and go through the setup .... it's easy as pie.

All you need to do is enter your main account details and it will do it all for you.

Setup your wifi stuff (i sure you know out SSID and encription - WPA ect).

Add your new wifi details to your laptop/xbox whatever and the internet will be exaclty the same as your VM box as the router with it's built in modem is live all the time.

Seems scary I know as I have VM here - had to do an install for WiFi and AOL for a friend.

It's all next button stuff, just make sure you know your main username and password and as your connection will be live all the time make sure that you have filters connected to your telephone line/sockets.

PMSL @ Em - Bless her!

Question is, why do I have to dial up at the moment?

Go live date is the 26th so I'll prob be back posting on here. Might have an issue initially setting it up with the ethernet cable as the old computer (not mine) upstairs doesnt have a socket for it!!!

Go live date is the 26th so I'll prob be back posting on here. Might have an issue initially setting it up with the ethernet cable as the old computer (not mine) upstairs doesnt have a socket for it!!!

Because it's a modem and not a router.

It's pretty much the same thing as the old 56k modem you use to use before broadband.

Just the different ways that broadband technologies work

You have to dialup at the moment because adsl requires you to login with a username and password.

Whereas Virgin just have a huge list of MAC addresses (its a serial number on modem and network card/router) - if your MAC address is on this list it's allowed on.

Sp if ADSL requires me to log in, will I only have to do this once at the start and then it will be on all the time?

With the wireless router all you need to do is put the connection info in on your wireless settings on the laptop.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links