Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Hiace To Africa

ToyFred

Hi all,

I want to take a van to Africa and since Toyota HiAce are virtually everywhere over there and HiAce appears to be quite sturdy and relatively easy to repair this seems to be the perfect choice.

The next question is now, which of the many models to choose.

Of course I would like as much space as possible. I have read elsewhere that there are long-wheelbase and super-long-wheelbase models. Does anyone have infos about the different sizes?

I believe, looking at my financial capabilities, that a van about 10 (DoM roundabout 1998) years old would be a good compromise between ecconomy and quality. What do you think?

Since there are a number of different engine sizes I would also be grateful for comments about the pros and cons of the various engines available. Since I want to convert the van to vegetable oil a diesel engine is essential.

Of course I also welcome any other suggestions regarding my project.

Looking forward to reading from you, Fred

The older models with the 2L 2.4 diesel is the one you want, the later D4D engines should not be run on veggie oil (although people do) The parts are very common and it was generally reliable. You need to be certain the van IS reliable, as buying anything that old will have its problems (or potentially) Africa is a long way, you dont want to find out half way that something has gone bang big time!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Good luck with the trip. I hope it works out for you :thumbsup:

Just a passing thought, though. How widely available is veggie oil, if you do go down that road ? In Africa ?

Good luck with the trip. I hope it works out for you :thumbsup:

Just a passing thought, though. How widely available is veggie oil, if you do go down that road ? In Africa ?

I never saw one chippie when I was there :D:

Dunno much about the engineof them apart from later diesels shouldnt run on vegetable oil as ^ ^ said guess there relaible & gd as i seen lots in asia although the later ones there seem different shape to what we got here, jst make sure the place in africa is right hand drive as some former british colonies in north africa changed to left hand drive in the 60/70s thus banning right hand drive cars in certain regions :rolleyes: but southern part it be ok

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the good wishes. There is plenty of veggie oil available in Africa. However, palm oil is their choice down there (East Africa), not sure about its viscosity. I'll see about it when I get to it.

The older models with the 2L 2.4 diesel is the one you want, the later D4D engines should not be run on veggie oil (although people do) The parts are very common and it was generally reliable. You need to be certain the van IS reliable, as buying anything that old will have its problems (or potentially) Africa is a long way, you dont want to find out half way that something has gone bang big time!

Thanks for the advice. Parts should not be a problem since these are the most common people carrier in East Africa even if I should run into problems.

Do you know if there is a long-wheelbase version available with the 2L 2.4 diesel engine?

Toyota HiAce is really good. I have this 2007 Toyota HiAce Turbo Diesel Van. I guess it's not too boring, for anyone interested in buying a new HiAce, you'd be happy to know that Toyota has given the new release on life with a 3.0-litre intercooler-equipped high-pressure direct-injection engine. And man, Also this Sprinter van designed and powered by Mercedes Benz, so your ride through town will be exceptionally comfortable and safe. The interior of the van is spacious with head and leg room for even the tallest passengers. All the passengers are equipped with three points seat belt restraints and headrests.

Dunno much about the engineof them apart from later diesels shouldnt run on vegetable oil as ^ ^ Autopartswarehouse said guess there relaible & gd as i seen lots in asia although the later ones there seem different shape to what we got here, jst make sure the place in africa is right hand drive as some former british colonies in north africa changed to left hand drive in the 60/70s thus banning right hand drive cars in certain regions :rolleyes: but southern part it be ok

That's a good idea. But you gotta be careful with the hiace. Sometimes they act up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links