Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Sr New Discs

GiJoe90

Hello all Yaris owners. My Sister has a V-reg Yaris SR and our local Toyota garage have said that it needs new front discs. They say that the inner face of the discs are very corroded and pitted.

Just wondered if anyone else has had to replace their discs on a relatively new car? I wouldn't expect new discs so soon on an average mileage car of this age.

Also, where are the best/cheapest places to get new discs from, and are they easy to do myself? I have changed discs in the past on a Metro!? I have Gold membership (discount) btw.

Thanks for any help

Joe

dubious.....especially when they say its only the inner face of the disk.....hmmm that's the side that's harder for you and me to check. If they say it's coroded...then it would corode evenly on both sides...and pitted? I would argue the disk is faulty, and water was presrnt in the manufacturing process.

how many miles has the motor covered?

Vipes.

No harder to fit than your metro

As for the corrosion,They corrode on the inner face first cos this is the fixed part of the caliper & does less/pressure on the pad to disc face

Celica have same fault. If in doubt take a wheel off & feel behind the shield for a rough surface. If alls smooth 7 clean then theres no problem

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take a wheel off and have a look when I get a moment. The car has done 38000 miles.

Cheers

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Got the discs changed finally today, a real easy job in the end. The old discs were in a real bad state. New ones are brilliant, nearly went through the windscreen when first trying them! :wacko:

Thanks for all the help

Joe

Companies tend to get you to buy new discs if they don't have the facility to 'skim' old ones. The equipment isn't that cheap so a lot of places dont have it. However it is a common procedure to remove the corroded surface which was done on my Avensis.

hello to all

regarding disc corrosion this is common on all toyotas due to the service intervals being 10k or 12 months strip the brakes at these intervals and you wont have a problem the first 10k service is basically an oil and filter change so your brakes are going 20k before they are looked at so what happens is the pads seizes into the caliper bracket so it doesnt brake properly and corrosion forms its basically down to the service intervals new toyota mr 2 are the worst for this

rgds

j

i am new to this site but will be helping out

as i have 9 yrs experiance on toyotas

If I need new disks/callipers on my Ts at 20K then I'm never buying a toyota again!

All my previous non toyota cars, have never needed anything but pads, and had all covered in excess of 70K before I sold them on. A collegue at work has my old Renault, and he's now on 110K (miles) and only got the front discs changed on the last service.

sure if the car is only used for the school run..and a few miles here and there...and never really gets hot..then perhaps... as they will be pretty much damp all the time but not for daily use.

Jusy shows that "newer" cars are just not built to last..the latest car sales show that....more and more people are buying cars?? why's that...not just becasue there's more people...but they simple just don't last.

Vipes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links