Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Computer Help

GIDDLEPIN

We have just replaced Anne's lap top because of a mishap with the display (big bum (mine) + fragile display = fubared screen :rolleyes:

We had it replaced on insurance and one of the things we have to do is return the damaged unit, this is no big deal apart from one thing,I need to delete all personal information, files etc,.......So how do I go about this to leave a bare bones computer ?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Les

I'm sure once you have deleted all your files, there is a programme you can download that will fill your hard drive

with a load of gobbledegook. Sorry Les but can't remember the name of it.

As far as I know the fail safe method is to format the hard drive, but the trouble is that I don't know how to do it :huh: :(

Do you have the original Operating System (XP, Vista etc) on CD Les?

If so you can format using that - just sticks a clean install of the original OS over yours :thumbsup:

I do it all the time at work, it's really easy and can tell you how you go about it!

Frankly and with regret, formatting, reinstalling the OS, and filling the drive with gobbledigook 1's n 0's apparently doesnt guarantee data is not recoverable...

Even a low level format isnt foolproof and there are tools that can recover, dont ask me how i dont understand it miself. The only totally foolproof way is to remove the hard disc, open it and destroy the disc in the drive with a blowlamp or really hot thing etc.

perhaps the most effective method if it isnt getting used anymore by you is as DA suggests, reinstall ur OS which is simple enough if you know how to fdisk your partition, create a new partition, reinstall os and then fill the disk with any old useless cack until the disk is as full as you can get it... then just return it....

anyone really wanting to recover data; even after multiple formats(i know the tools that do this but dont know how), will be able to, but it will be a long process and easier to just mug someone....

formatting will not remove all of your !Removed!, its easy to recover the data using something like getdatabackforntfs

best thing to do is the keep the harddrive and send off the computer

Acronis Drive Cleanser will do a proper job of it, but unless you have secret government data (not that them muppets use it!) I wouldn't bother - just do a standard reinstall.

Formatting does jack!

When you consider what a low level format(not a normal one) is, and what writing data to the entire disc does to try and write over areas that have had info stored on them , it really is quite impressive that old stuff can still come back..... seems to deny physical reality for me but oh well i was ***** at physics and electricity scares me lmao

But we're not talking about secret government documents, it's a bog standard home pc with probably the worst stuff on it being a naked photo of Les frying his sausage on the barbie! :lol: :lol:

Simple format will be absolutely fine IMO.

Take it out and smash it into tiny pieces with an air rifle!

I don't trust leaving a hard drive in even if you reboot the OS discs etc.

Buy yourself a cheapo hardrive and put it in. You hear of these people giving your old computers to developing worlds, but you never know what they can access from your hard drive, and Em, it's not just pictures you need to worry about, it's passwords and secure info.

Piece of mind is worth a lot!

Mine was replaced under insurance last year.

It went for repair but the motherboard was fubared.

I asked for the hard drive back which they removed and returned to me.

Bought an external hard drive enclosure popped the hard drive in!

New laptop plus exernal hard drive with all my files on!!

Ask the question if you can keep the hard drive.

:thumbsup:

Are we forgetting that he has no screen?... Formatting or installing programs might be tricky!

Are we forgetting that he has no screen?... Formatting or installing programs might be tricky!

Thats easy, just connect it to a monitor with the vga port

Bear in mind tho that the hard drive is useless to them anyway.

They cannot access the hard drive under the data protection act so it would just be destroyed.

I'm sure you'd be able to keep it!

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links