Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can't Start With Keys, But Can Push Start!

gaz_D

I have a 1997 1.8 Carina E, never had many problems with it. Had a shunt a few years ago where I was hit from behind, and the repair garage must have knocked something on the exhaust because the engine light has been on ever since (they refused to fix it, and it's never been a problem for MOT, so I'm living with it.).

Anyways, I came back to the car a few weeks ago and the key fob wouldn't unlock the car. Called Toyota, they said use the key, the alarm will go off for about 30 seconds, but if you can live with the embarrassment, ignore it and use the key to lock the car until you can get it looked at (for a huge fee). Things were fine for well over a month until a few days ago when I tried to start the car and the alarm went off (indicators flashing, siren etc etc). Managed to push start it, and went fo a long drive thinking it might be the Battery dying, but the radio and windows still work fine. Took another long drive yesterday, but now everytime I try to start the car (with the keys) the alarm goes off and it won't start BUT I'm always able to push start it. Obviously it needs to be looked at, but does anyone have any ideas about what I can do in the meantime? I commute to work by train, so can only get it fixed during weekends, but need it for grocery shopping during the week...

ANY help would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance

Gareth

PS My muffler's going (pretty noisy right now), in case that's relevant to your thoughts...

yeah sounds like ur Battery could be going, your windows and such use alot less power than your starter motor, check your alternator is charging correctly, (mail me if u dont know how) and get your Battery checked out.

Also reprogramming the key fobs is really easy providing you on the standard slightly rounded fob (i found out from my local toyota garage who reprogrammed it free of charge). but first thing to check with the fob is the Battery, should be above 3.0 volts! if its not then i would change that first.

hope this helps

and the exhaust/eml fault could be an oxygen sensor really common on the carinas and really expensive £200 - £300

Hey - thanks for the reply. Not sure how to check the alternator - could you give me some tips? I took the car out last night (having push started it again) and had the lights on, radio on, windows working etc etc, and tried to restart with the keys immediately after parking and switching the engine off (figured if it started then it would indicate that the Battery was simply losing charge over night). As it happens though, it made no difference: the car wouldn't start and the alarm went off, so I figure the problem is either (1) the Battery isn't charging at all (although it was a short drive); or (2) its the starter motor and not the Battery.

Anyways, help with knowing how to check the alternator would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Gareth

yeah sounds like ur battery could be going, your windows and such use alot less power than your starter motor, check your alternator is charging correctly, (mail me if u dont know how) and get your battery checked out.

Also reprogramming the key fobs is really easy providing you on the standard slightly rounded fob (i found out from my local toyota garage who reprogrammed it free of charge). but first thing to check with the fob is the battery, should be above 3.0 volts! if its not then i would change that first.

hope this helps

and the exhaust/eml fault could be an oxygen sensor really common on the carinas and really expensive £200 - £300

checking alternator is dead simple (if u have a multimeter to hand) check the voltage on the Battery firstly with the engine off, this should be above about 12.4 volts, the closer to 12.8 the better, and then to check the alternator check the voltage on the Battery with the engine running should be somewhere near, if not above, 14 volts.

hope this helps

oh n im guessing its not the starter thats gone, cos i dont imagine that would cause the alarm to come on.

keep me posted :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links