Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Mr2

PHILGTS

I'm looking at buying a used 1991 MR2. it has a TRD Badge on it, but I haven't gotten to check it out in earnest. before I set a date to check out this bloke's car, what areas of the car should I pay special attention to when examining it? I want an MR2, not a lemon.

thanks for the help

Is this the turbo version? if so check the condition of the turbine and have the engine in a compression check just to be sure. check out my blog to have more idea Auto Trends and Innovations

what ever :rolleyes:

ok you should look at everything, there is nothing cheap with mr2s push all buttons check everything works

Turbo check its holding boost in third foot to the floor and it should hold it all the way to high revs shouldnt tail off

Tires are good quality and are in good conditionn they keep you on the road

Suspension for knock ball joints and drop links are common

Oil or water leaks rocker cover sometimes common water leaks can be tricky as it has metal pipes running the length of the car.

Also check the radiator as thease are a pig to do !!!

Exhaust is in good condition check flexi and back box that kind of age might be rusting abit

Check the clutch again get to about 30mph in 4th and accelarate hard if it ust revs and dont pick up it could need replacing

Check the gear box is smooth in all gears

Check engine for unusual knocking noises get the person to start it from cold not warm check it doesnt smoke !!!

service history if person selling has good knowledge of car when was cambelt last changed service intervals hould be every 5k for a turbo think 10k for an N/A sure someone will correct me if im wrong

body panels interior parts can be picked up off eBay quite resonable prices

Think thats about it im sure other people will add to that hope it helps

Daz :thumbsup:

Is this the turbo version? if so check the condition of the turbine and have the engine in a compression check just to be sure. check out my blog to have more idea Auto Trends and Innovations

what ever :rolleyes:

ok you should look at everything, there is nothing cheap with mr2s push all buttons check everything works

Turbo check its holding boost in third foot to the floor and it should hold it all the way to high revs shouldnt tail off

Tires are good quality and are in good conditionn they keep you on the road

Suspension for knock ball joints and drop links are common

Oil or water leaks rocker cover sometimes common water leaks can be tricky as it has metal pipes running the length of the car.

Also check the radiator as thease are a pig to do !!!

Exhaust is in good condition check flexi and back box that kind of age might be rusting abit

Check the clutch again get to about 30mph in 4th and accelarate hard if it ust revs and dont pick up it could need replacing

Check the gear box is smooth in all gears

Check engine for unusual knocking noises get the person to start it from cold not warm check it doesnt smoke !!!

service history if person selling has good knowledge of car when was cambelt last changed service intervals hould be every 5k for a turbo think 10k for an N/A sure someone will correct me if im wrong

body panels interior parts can be picked up off eBay quite resonable prices

Think thats about it im sure other people will add to that hope it helps

Daz :thumbsup:

thank you for the most informative reply I've gotten on TOC so far. I ended up buying the car, but catching a few problems that will now be fixed before I pick it up. thank you again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links