Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing A Screw/bolt

UKDM323

Ok any mechanics or anyone in general really that can help me here??

i got 2 bolt/screw fixings in the engine bay that need replacing soon, circled bits on the picture its meant to be removed with a philips head screw driver but that screw or bolt is bit rusted , & where the + is located, its bit worn on the edges, dunnno how it got like that so as you can imagine using a screw driver is harder & fact that its fastened bit tight so is there any other tools i can use to remove them? & if i keep trying the + gets worn more so makes it even harder!! :rolleyes: hence why i getting some new ones.

Here are the pics, you cant see it as its got the rubber bits on top (for the bonnet when its shut) but that rubber bit easy to remove.

DSC00014_001.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013_002.jpg

But i try get a pic with that rubber bit removed

Thanks if anyone can help

You have a couple of options.

1. Mole grips ( assuming you can get a good grip on the sides of the head )

2. screw extractor tool and a drill. These are available from Machine Mart for not much money. You drill a hole down the centre of the screw/bolt and then screw the extractor into the hole. it bites and removes the screw.

Get a tin of Plus Gas and give it a good soaking first, then wait half an hour and try it.

Good luck

Hi

Thanks for the feedback i bear them in mind, i like the 1st option & i did try using a 'plier' not a pointed one & it still wouldnt move but it was a small plier so not really much leverage unless im not strong enough but i do use weights so surely cannot be that! lol

Here a pic with the rubber bit taken off, the rusted bolt/screw as u see that + is worn, DSC00038.jpg

These bolts/screws are for holding the grille, i changed / removed grilles few times on a lexus is200 / mazda 323f no trouble but this corolla isnt so :rolleyes:

Hi mate, could help you but I'm afraid your at the wrong end of the country. I work for an engineering co, we have a portable

spark eroder for removing broken taps etc. Would have that out in minutes without damage to threads or bodywork. Best

try as Rich says and drill it, then use a left hand extractor. Good luck :thumbsup:

Mole grips

plumbers feetprints, they are great

cut drill and extract as said but before that you could try to cut a grove in the screw with a small hack saw and get a large screwdriver or even flat bat in the groove and remove.

Is it metal or plastic, Im assuming metal due to the drilling suggestion, mig weld a nut on the top of the feshnickered screw and remove. Protect all painted surfaces with wet cloth.

cut drill and extract as said but before that you could try to cut a grove in the screw with a small hack saw and get a large screwdriver or even flat bat in the groove and remove.

looks a bit tight ( spacewise ) to get a saw blade onto it without damaging the car around it.

However, good call with cutting a slot into it - Using a dremil is the easiest way to prevent damaging anything !

if you go with the cut a groove option, put two blades on your saw, this cuts a groove wide enough for screwdriver

I would try Mole grips first...

if taht fails use a dremel to cut a slot in the top for a big flat blade screwdriver, if that fails drill and use a stud extractor (cheap from halfords)

I take it you have tried WD-40 already???

I am currently swearing at removing some track rod ends that have not been off or adjusted in 20 years.

Seized solid :(

Thanks again people, it is metal, i not tried wd40 kinda forgotten about that & dont usually use that when it comes to these but yeah give that a go hope it wouldnt seize either & break but if it does i certain as i check that can be drilled out if it does break, the bolt was removed recently whn the bodyshop painted up a aftermarket grille & fitted it amongst other stuff done to the car but as i may be getting a C-one grille i like(well its different!) & dont really, not worth taking to body shop just for that,

Couldn't you just use an adjustable wrench?

Havent tried that yet i dont think the wrench i have got a philips (+) head but i seach the tools box to see if i do

All this fails i pike a mole grip of someone lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links