Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Mileage Prius

don21

Looking at a 100k 05 Prius with FTSH.I know the batterries have an 8 year warranty but is there anything else I need to know.I only do about 8k a year and am aware I will probably not save that much money but looking for something a bit different and the road tax certainly appeals.Currently we have an Auris 2.0d4d and I am using our Corolla 1.6 auto.

I think if you search the internet you could find an 05 Prius with less miles than a 100K. You may even find a later year Prius for similar money and less miles. You can search for Toyota dealers within a certain radius of your home. That is how I found my 57 Prius with only 1,700 miles on the clock. It was a saving on buying brand new.

I think the one you are looking at has rather high mileage.

As to the prius as a car. It is the best car I have ever owned. My son has a Prius as well and is of the same opinion.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Thanks Chris,

For me buying a newer Prius would not make financial sense as I do not cover enough mileage to make the extra money pay.I am looking for something a bit different and this one is cheap.An 05 plate for under 7K.

I am a mechanic so am well aware of Toyotas legendary reliability and have no problems worrying about either the engine or gearbox.However it is the batteries that concern me.Toyota give an 8 year or 100k warranty and as this is now out I do not want to end up splashing out for what I read are very expensive replacements.I have yet to find out how expensive but I believe very.

Anyway I may be going to see it tomorrow so it looks like decision time.

Good luck with your purchase I still think you could get a Prius for very similar money and year with less mileage.

Chris.

Good luck with your purchase I still think you could get a Prius for very similar money and year with less mileage.

Chris.

Thanks again Chris,

Tonight that is just what I will be doing.Looking on the internet.Only problem there are a lot of prius in Southern England I live in the North West so it will be a bit harder.

Please see my post regarding the MFD screen on '04 and '05 models. I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but this is also an issue. Check the model you are considering either does not have this issue or it has been replaced, the part alone is £1,600 + VAT, fitting extra. I was informed by a US dealership that the batteries are about £6,000 to be replaced though hopefully this would not be needed anytime soon!!!!

Please see my post regarding the MFD screen on '04 and '05 models. I don't like to be the bearer of bad news but this is also an issue. Check the model you are considering either does not have this issue or it has been replaced, the part alone is £1,600 + VAT, fitting extra. I was informed by a US dealership that the batteries are about £6,000 to be replaced though hopefully this would not be needed anytime soon!!!!

Thanks Betty,

Will check this out.As for the batteries it would appear I am worrying needlessly.My research shows Toyota have not had to replace one gen2 Battery because of them wearing out.Do not want to get to technical but apparently the computer manages the Battery so that it is never fully charged or discharged whatever the display says.It keeps it between 40 and 80 percent to prolong its life.

There are Prius Taxis in Canada with over 400,000 kms on them without a single non service problem.Toyotas reliability again.

The vehicle I am considering has FTSH so I will see if I can find out if the Display has been changed.

Hi don,

I had a search myself last night for you and like you say lower mileage cars are mainly in the South. I found one or two with around 60,000 on the clock and about the same year but they were around a £1,000 more than the one you are looking at.

I have also been assured by 2 dealers that the electrics of the Prius are reliable.

I did not know about the screen problem Betty has brought to light. You would think the fault should be under warranty.

Let us know how you get on with your purchase.

Chris.

Hi don,

I had a search myself last night for you and like you say lower mileage cars are mainly in the South. I found one or two with around 60,000 on the clock and about the same year but they were around a £1,000 more than the one you are looking at.

I have also been assured by 2 dealers that the electrics of the Prius are reliable.

I did not know about the screen problem Betty has brought to light. You would think the fault should be under warranty.

Let us know how you get on with your purchase.

Chris.

Well,it would seem I have built my hopes up prematurely.Been negotiating on the phone and I am afraid the bid I am getting for my PX is well below book.Back to the drawing board then.Oh dear all that effort and research wasted.

Thanks for all your input.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links