Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cheapest Way To Clone Spare Key?

matt-d

Hi all,

Sorry for reposting this from the inside and out board, but it looks like this one gets a lot more attention and I need any advice I can get!

I appear to have lost one of the two keys that came with my car. It's not been too much of a disaster yet as I do have a spare, but I want to get a copy of the spare I have left in case it happens again (which it probably will, sooner or later). The keys are for a 1999 Yaris, no remote locking, but fitted with an immobiliser chip.

I just took my key to Timpsons but they said they couldn't do it because of the immobiliser, and I'd have to take it to the Toyota garage. Rang the Toyota garage and they've quoted me £90+VAT for a new spare. I'll pay it if I have to, but it seems pretty steep, and I was wondering if there was a cheaper way? I've seen blank keys going for a few quid on eBay - can these not be cut and reprogrammed by someone other than Toyota, given that I do have a key to work from?

For example, this key looks just like the one I've got, apart from the "JMA" where the toyota symbol should be. Could this be cut and reprogrammed?

Any other options?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Matt

Thanks for replying, Giddlepin. I saw that post earlier, but isn't that for when you have no keys and need new ones from scratch? At £150 it's looking like it'd be a more expensive solution Toyota's cloning of my existing key.

Thanks for the tip anyway... I'll know where to go if I lose this key before getting another spare ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links