Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Painting The Kitchen: Advice Needed!

smoftah

Hello everyone,

I am painting my parents kitchen and I am a complete novice to painting :lol:

Do I need to get a cleaning product to wash the walls first in the kitchen? (walls are painted not wallpaper)

Or can I paint straight away - I am using one coat dulux brilliant white soft sheen.

Any help / advice / tips greatfully received

Mr bean style, cover everything in newspaper that doesnt want painting, then tin of paint in the middle of the room with a firework in!

BOOM

If youve got some sugar soap - put some of this in a bucket or your washing up bowl then just give the walls a clean down, think its costs about £1.50 from any local shop - if youve got wilkinsons shops near you then they stock it.

If the walls are really uneven you could sand them down with a bit of sand paper - but as you say the walls are already painted and not papered it should be fine to just paint straight on top :)

Use a roller if youve got one - makes life so much easier - but use a brush for 'cutting in', i always do the cutting in first then you can use the roller to get rid of most of the brush marks , make sure you put plenty of newspaper or a dust sheet down if your using a roller - it gets everywhere! :D

Mr bean style, cover everything in newspaper that doesnt want painting, then tin of paint in the middle of the room with a firework in!

BOOM

I was thinking the exact same thing

Am highly impressed by the Ad for the Dulux ? electric roller thingy :lol:

Has anyone else seen it ? It appears to keep itself loaded as you go, & then cleans itself when finished :eek:

The cynic in me comes to the surface & says "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is " :unsure:

Hou / Kev - classic scene in Mr Bean...I think I ll give that technique a miss! :lol:

Tegan - Perfect advice cheers :thumbsup: Went and bought some sugar soap and it works a treat!

Bizarra - I was very tempted to buy the dulux paint pod but it is £69.99 just for the pod and the paint 5L tubs for it are £30 a go! so seems like a expensive gadget to me!

But would love just to be able to carry on painting and not worry about the cleaning, but I am using £3 paint rollers so no need to worry about the cleaning bit :lol:

i looked into the paint pod to for my new gaff... expensive machine!

smoftah... send up any spare sugar soap u have... i might just reconsider ur bday pressie! haha

Tegan - Perfect advice cheers :thumbsup: Went and bought some sugar soap and it works a treat!

No probs - im in the middle of decorating our dining room, and i officially hate sandpaper! My hands were raw by the time id finished doing the woodwork the other day :( Onto the exciting part of choosing colours and cushions now :P :D

smoftah... send up any spare sugar soap u have... i might just reconsider ur bday pressie! haha

You're in there mate

Haha :lol:

Consider it in the post ... when I have finished with it :thumbsup:

p.s. You know what I want for my bday Andie!

No probs - im in the middle of decorating our dining room, and i officially hate sandpaper! My hands were raw by the time id finished doing the woodwork the other day :( Onto the exciting part of choosing colours and cushions now :P :D

I helped my mate paint his wooden windows last week and sanding is possibly one of the most boring things to do ever!! :lol:

Luckily for me no wood on this job :yahoo:

You're in there mate

I helped my mate paint his wooden windows last week and sanding is possibly one of the most boring things to do ever!! :lol:

Luckily for me no wood on this job :yahoo:

Hmmmmm! Windows last week, Now a kitchen ! I'll report you to the Union :lol:

You're in there mate

told you that was too expensive... if your lucky ill get you a penny caramel :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links