Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Caning My Rev3 N/a....

CraigT

Okay up till now Ive been very tame with my n/a rev3 but lately Im getting the urge to give it some serious grief!

Basically I wanted to know what I can safely get out of the car without *ahem* !Removed! it.

What kind of revs should I be taking the car up to in each gear to make her shift like a mother f*cker?

No more Mr Nice Guy!

On the turbo's there is no more power to be had over 6000 RPM, shifting higher into the rev range actually slows you down!! Not sure about N/A's though.

On the turbo's there is no more power to be had over 6000 RPM, shifting higher into the rev range actually slows you down!! Not sure about N/A's though.

Aha! not on the rev3+ my friend. My rolling road readout showed increase in bhp aaaaalll the way right up to 7000rpm redline(where it read my peak output). Only early CT26 models had a drop off point at about 6200rpm. And im sure this is the case with snakes rev3 174bhp 3sge cos my bros 96 celica (same 174bhp 3sge) was the same with peak power at 7000rpm.

I dont take mine to 7000rpm, usually around the 6500 mark, but power doesnt seem to suffer above 6000.

the rev 3 n/a has the engine without TVIS same as later celicas, it also has a higher ratio box than rev1 & 2, so not quite as good off the line, the rev3s red line is the same as rev 1 & 2 but the limiter is very far into the red, almost 8000rpm from memory (rev 1 &2 7300ish), due to the long ratio box etc you need to rev to the red line 7250rpm to get the most out of it, it won't hurt it you could drive it redlining every gear everday and it'll be fine as long as you service it regularly. If you change at 6000rpm ish in a n/a it drops right down the power band, theses engines really need reving to get the most out of them.

i've found that 2 get awsome acceleration u have to almost redline it in first before you switch to 2nd, if u try putting ur foot down in 2nd pickup is a LOT slower. So even if ur rolling to traffic lights drop into 1st and tap the clutch to match engine rev's then floor it from there. :thumbsup:

-Z

You will be fine at 7000 in you Rev3. I had mine up there a few times, but usually changed at around 6500 if having fun. I also have two rolling road printouts showing maximum power at 7150 (where the rev limiter cut in) the first result was 170.5 (stock - unmodded) and 180.5 after fitting an induction kit. Both results are uploaded in the News section on IMOC-UK the first being Powerstation and the second being Top Gear Performance.

Obviously I know that the result are inacurate seeing different testing stations were used for readings, but the point of this thread is that you will be fine taking your car right to the limiter. It won't sound good the first time you hit the limiter tho... :D keep it to around 6500/7000 you will be fine :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links