Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Elor!

DeusMR2

hey guys n gals! Just like to introduce myself to the board,i've been a "lurker" since July on this board,mr2oc and that big american one. I been researching n basically spending my whole life in front on the net researchin :bookworm: everythin there is to know about mr2s, only thing i don't have though is.......an mr2,doh!

But the time has come when i have finally got enough dolla to afford a fairly good one. Unfortunatley i can't get a tubby yet cos of my finance lender (msut be below group 15!), have had a look at only 1 NA so far and what a car it was!Was a steel mist grey g-limited with all the usual spec but also had electrically folding mirrors and wait for it...... a remote starter! now i'm a sucker for gimmicks and as soon as i used the remote start to start the engine my face lit up.5 mins later tho my face turned back off so to speak...my very nice finance lender only finances cars up to 10 years old,one id been looking at with my jaw dropped was a september k reg!

so... back to square one, this friday i'm going to go look at a 94 black NA t-bar with 93000 miles,bit high i know but hey its a toyota and theyve also replaced the clutch and it has full s/h for £3500. I'm either getting that one or a 94 tropical blue t-bar 100000 miles one (like the one peteJ on mr2oc has i think?) £4500. I do prefer the black one and since its closer to me i'll see it first.If it's good enough it's mine and hopefully there'll be one more happy mr2 driver on the road!

the car im driving at the mo(my dads) is a carina E XLi 1.6,it's much faster than it looks (and quite fun) but im hoping the one i see on friday will "pleasently surprise" me :drool: I'll let ya all know how it gets on....fingers crossed!

Welcome to the site and good luck with the hunt. I looked at a few before i got mine (red G-Ltd) and fell in love with it as soon as i drove it, it just felt so right. Now 18 months on and 20k miles later i still love driving it. Haven't done any tuning mods but i did change the original radio to a sony double din unit and have fitted a sony mp3 cd multi changer. The only other thing i've done and recommend you do as soon as poss is to fit a mesh radiator guard up front. :thumbsup:

Quite similar prev. car 2 me m8. Mine was also my dad's old Carina E. 2.0 diesel turbo. I thawt it was a very nice car, and fuel economy was also sweet.

But compared to the 2...

Hehe, it isnt much, still miss carina at times tho...

-Z

Well went to the dealer yesterday morning and got to see the car for myself...they were located in a bit of a dump/alleyway so i was a bit suspicious.However once i got to see the car...well i'll let the pictures explain!...

post-38-1073125097.jpg

interior dash and mileage clock. There was also a decent kenwood head installed, didnt get to take a pic though sorry!

post-38-1073125339.jpg

the engine bay,I checked twice to make sure it was a 3s-ge n not a 3s-fe after some recent advice on this board! Doesn't look too shabby considering it's age. I wonder if it was steam-cleaned? what are the signs that it has been steam cleaned? cos if it has been then im sure some water wouldve leaked into the distributor and caused a few probs. I didn't get to test drive it unfortunately but the engine did sound very healthy. The coolant was that red forlfe stuff,and the exhaust fumes were as clear and colourless as air.

post-38-1073125557.jpg

I've noticed that on one of those pictures, the engine temperature was at the halfway point, where it should be after a good run.

You also said that you didn't take it for a drive, did you book an appointment to see the car? If so, the dealer may have warmed it up before you got there.... might not start from cold etc.

Just a thought.

hrm, my car starts around that mark, and rises a little from there after a good run. heck even if i've been raggin if for a good half hour it doesnt rise much more than that...

also bin out and checked my engine after a run and it seems fine temp. wise.

I've noticed that on one of those pictures, the engine temperature was at the halfway point, where it should be after a good run.

You also said that you didn't take it for a drive, did you book an appointment to see the car? If so, the dealer may have warmed it up before you got there.... might not start from cold etc.

Just a thought.

when we arrived at the dealer they had to go collect the car from the valeters so it was a warm by the time they got here, next time though the car will be in the lot and will be cold hopefully. I'm sure it'll start fine but thanx for the good point! I'm gonna go for a test drive too so then i'll be able to pick up anymore possible probs with the car,e.g. suspension, stumbling etc.

in my carina it takes forever (15mins really) to reach the midway mark but it never goes above it so i'd be expecting the same of the mr2 right?

the temp gauge generally stays about midway. Takes a few mins to get there... obviously longer if it's very cold out.

Welcome aboard m8y! Just 1 thing I noticed, on the dashboard pic the milage is 57,403. When you said 100,000 miles I take it this as KM and not Miles? Also if this gagrage directly imported the car themselves ask them for the Jap auction sheet. The auction sheet will list its grade (I think 6 is 100%mint..1 is well..crap and R is accident repaired) Itll also show you the little dings on the bodywork (will be circled). Anything over a grade 3 is what your aimin for. On the face of it tho..it looks very VERY nice m8.

Welcome aboard m8y! Just 1 thing I noticed, on the dashboard pic the milage is 57,403. When you said 100,000 miles I take it this as KM and not Miles? Also if this gagrage directly imported the car themselves ask them for the Jap auction sheet. The auction sheet will list its grade (I think 6 is 100%mint..1 is well..crap and R is accident repaired) Itll also show you the little dings on the bodywork (will be circled). Anything over a grade 3 is what your aimin for. On the face of it tho..it looks very VERY nice m8.

ah yeah forgot to mention that, the car was advertised as having 93000 miles....as you have seen though the milage is 57403miles....

heres the exact ad:

Toyota MR2 2.0 GT T-Bar , 1994 L Reg , Manual 5 speed, Black Metallic, 93,000 miles , 2 Doors. Alloy Wheels, Central Door Locking, Electric Windows, power steering.extensive service history,new clutch,hpi check,import,part exchange warranty and finance,superb condition £3,500

now 57403miles is 92361kilometers....the only conclusion i get from this is that the dealer has heard that the car had 92361kilometers but has mistaken/forgotten it for miles and has hence written 93000 miles on the advert.

ooor as you say the clock could still be reading in km

hopefully its the former in which case ive got a car thats almost half as old mileage wise as its advertised B)

I'm actually not sure if they imported it themselves, the lack of any other imports in their garage would lead me to believe that they didnt. i'll ask if they have the auction sheet though.

The dealers are gonna fax the car documents to my car finance people tomorrow,if its all good then hopefully i'll be havin this beauty by the middle of next week! :D B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links