Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Help Plz! 3 Points, Fine, New Mot All For Tinted Windows!

ragged

Hello, Iv just got 3 points a £60 fine and a prohibition notice on my glanza due to my tinted windows!!!! i now need a new MOT and sumhow without driving it to a police check center in order for them to put my car back on the road! NOT HAPPY!

i was up basildon not raceing not driving fast not doin sod all when sargent suck job came over already with his little test box got me out the car an tested my front passenger window, and took great pleasure in telling me it was illegal only 20% of light came thru :) 70% is legal! 3 points!this is all after i offerd to rip them out on the spot! to wich he replyd happily "Nope i think 3 points and a fine would be a better option for you" actuall words he sed! MUG! im 22 in not a boy racer or wear burberry this is <if my vocabulary was any smaller, it would be nearly as small as my genitals>!

BUT i was tested at night (000:20) and im pretty sure they cant test you when its dark and have to arrange a day time check?!?! please could someone find out if this is true!! i have looked for a site that would have this information and have had no luck! i will love anyone forever if they find it!!

PLZ PLZ PLZ

Anything other than factory standard tints on the windscreen and both front side windows isn't legal as far as I know.

It's been like this for a few years at least

Hello, Iv just got 3 points a £60 fine and a prohibition notice on my glanza due to my tinted windows!!!! i now need a new MOT and sumhow without driving it to a police check center in order for them to put my car back on the road! NOT HAPPY!

i was up basildon not raceing not driving fast not doin sod all when sargent suck job came over already with his little test box got me out the car an tested my front passenger window, and took great pleasure in telling me it was illegal only 20% of light came thru :) 70% is legal! 3 points!this is all after i offerd to rip them out on the spot! to wich he replyd happily "Nope i think 3 points and a fine would be a better option for you" actuall words he sed! MUG! im 22 in not a boy racer or wear burberry this is <if my vocabulary was any smaller, it would be nearly as small as my genitals>!

BUT i was tested at night (000:20) and im pretty sure they cant test you when its dark and have to arrange a day time check?!?! please could someone find out if this is true!! i have looked for a site that would have this information and have had no luck! i will love anyone forever if they find it!!

PLZ PLZ PLZ

Welcome to TOC and the real world.

You might not like to hear this ..........................but,

There have been many posts on these forums warning about the folly of tinting your front driver and passenger windows.

The police light box can be used to test for illegal tinting at any time (daylight or dark) as it has a light source and a receptor cell which accurately measures the percentage of light that your tints allow through. Tinted front driver and passenger windows have been shown to be a contributory factor to accidents, particularly at night time as visibility is severely impaired by the tinting.

BTW your attempts to bypass the TOC automatic swear filter have shown that you are not much better than the burberry wearing boy racer that you claim not to be. PLEASE RESPECT THE FORUM ETIQUETTE

Your best bet now is to remove the front tints and submit the car for testing, pay the fine and learn from the experience.

Sorry to sound so harsh but there have been enough warnings on the forums about illegal tints....................you should have known that you would eventually get caught. :(

Oh Dear i am awfully sorry for trying to bypass the TOC Automatic Swear Filter! you sound like you should work for the police you **** Knob jockey! i understand the law and although it is illegal i wouldv thought they would give me a chance to remove the tints and maybe if i refused then the points, fine, an prohibition which all later lead to more insurance costs! the tints were put on before i owned the car and i have been stopped over 20 times in the last year without even so much of a mention. This is nothing more than there new way to stop people going to basildon and other meet places and to earn alot more money in fines! whatever the case the tints are now removed and the car legal, the fine will be paid.

L8er U Mug! is that chav enuf 4 ya in the real world sargent cyber *****.

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act - as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

The specifications are:

a. Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985

b. The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.

c. The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle does not meet legal requirements.

The consequences of illegally tinted windows!

If you are driving with less than legally required light transmitting through the windscreen and front side windows, the following could happen ;

a. You could be stopped and fined - you are effectively handing the police a 'reason' to stop your vehicle - the car could be impounded if it is considered dangerous to drive and/or could be given a prohobition order until removed!

b. You will be required to remove the film (which will cost) and present your car to the Police confirming it has been returned to a legal status.

c. If you have an accident and it can be proven that the reduced vision caused by the illegal film was a contributing factor, you are likely to get part or full blame - even if it was not under normal circumstances your fault!

d. Even worse - your insurer - if they stand to be in a position where they are looking at full acceptance of liability (as you were at fault) - may determine that your insurance is invalidated! and you will be looking at footing the costs on your own for your own vehicle and any other damage to third party vehicles or property.

For between 30% and 45% of light transmission the vehicle is assumed to be unfit for use but not to pose an immediate danger. A delayed prohibition is issued and the owner has up to ten days from the date of issue to remove the tint.

At less than 30% the legal position is that driving the vehicle would involve a risk of injury, and the vehicle cannot be moved under its own power from the issuing of the prohibition notice until the tint has been removed.

Yeh he told me all that, i wanted to know if it was legal to take the test at night an do me, i will try and find out for definate, Thank you tho. i still think the law is abit kind of prepairing for the worst with this tho, iv managed for the last year an half and not thought once that i cant see well thru them, having clear windows will not stop me from not noticeing someone, as they claim tinted ones do, if i dont see them then i plain dont see them! its not like it hides a bike, mine are far from limo tint, itl reduce sod all crashes but make alot more money. they didnt bother with it for the last 2 years as much as they are now. if you get pulled they will do you, its worth takein them out!

Oh Dear i am awfully sorry for trying to bypass the TOC Automatic Swear Filter! you sound like you should work for the police you **** Knob jockey! i understand the law and although it is illegal i wouldv thought they would give me a chance to remove the tints and maybe if i refused then the points, fine, an prohibition which all later lead to more insurance costs! the tints were put on before i owned the car and i have been stopped over 20 times in the last year without even so much of a mention. This is nothing more than there new way to stop people going to basildon and other meet places and to earn alot more money in fines! whatever the case the tints are now removed and the car legal, the fine will be paid.

L8er U Mugs!

Oh dear ...................you are clearly NOT aware of the law and have just a bit to learn about civility to fellow TOC members. :rolleyes:

You have not got off to a very good start on this forum by trying to overide the automatic swear filter and then throwing insults at a moderator..............all within your first two posts. You are well on your way to having your warning level increased which may ultimately lead to a forum ban. Maybe you should think again and amend your posts. ;)

For your information I do not work for the police, but simply answered your original question.

The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement has also been quoted (above) by vmail. You could benefit by taking heed of the many regulations that apply to motoring.

You may ask yourself why you have been stopped over 20 times in the last year. The police are unlikely to stop vehicles for no reason.................does your car stand out from the majority of others on the road?

The TOC forum exists for the mutual benefit of all members, I appreciate that you are still upset by the actions of the police last night, but you came on here asking for advice and clarification of the law. As I stated in my reply, you did not like to hear what was said in reply.

Calm down and learn from the experience :)

Your question has been answered, you have resorted to personal insults (and got a warning for it) so for that reason this topic is now closed!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links