Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Kmh Vs Mph

bigshark

is it true that it is illegal to have speedo readin in only kmh? or is some car exempt from converting to mph depending on its age?

Well i am presuming it would be illegal as you dont know what speed your doing in Mph unless your a maths brain box to do the sums on the fly.

dont think its illegal, I "borrowed" a company car from Holland, and when I was in the UK I guessed what speed I was going

ust follow everybody else

Difference being is that company car is not registered in the UK. Also Ive just clicked that ive not seen one jap imported car with only KM on the dials. I thinks its deffo a requirement to have mph on the dials if the car is to be registered here.

Nope, not a legal requirement, but it is reccomended!

Both my parents Mercs only had KM clocks as we bought them over from germany.. Kept my mum's one for about 10 years and it never failed an MOT!

I left all the cars I imported over in K/M I'd rather it read the wrong units then had a bodged conversion!

C&U regs say your speedo has to read in MPH and it gets tested at SVA too.

MOT only tests that the speedo 'works' (ie the needle moves), nothing more. In theory it isn't legal to have it reading just in KMH, but you'd be extraordinarily unlucky to get done for it (my Supra still reads in KMH too).

Construction and use regs are very complicated and you would be very unlucky to be prosecuted for having a speedo only reading KPM's. I found this relating to Motorcycles, but I would "assume" that cars would have a similar regulation

Regulation 35 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended requires that motorcycles first used on or after 1 April 1984 shall be fitted with a speedometer which is capable of showing speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or by the operation of a switch.

Speedometers on vehicles must also meet either the requirements of EC Directive 2007/7/EC and UN-ECE Regulation 39 or be approved to meet the requirements of the Motor Cycles Etc (Single Vehicle Approval) Regulations 2003. These regulations require that the speedometer display must be clearly legible both by day and by night.

If somebody wants to read through the full regs, go for it :lol: My interpretation is it is required to be in both MPH & KPH

Kingo :thumbsup:

C&U regs say your speedo has to read in MPH and it gets tested at SVA too.

MOT only tests that the speedo 'works' (ie the needle moves), nothing more. In theory it isn't legal to have it reading just in KMH, but you'd be extraordinarily unlucky to get done for it (my Supra still reads in KMH too).

My old Mini passed its MOT with no speedo cable at all!

Here in Ireland, we are legally changed over to Kilometers from miles. All signposts, such as they are :angry: give distances in Kms.

Off the top of my head, your Speedo must show Kms per hour.

Speed limits are in Kms too.

I'm lucky in that my dial shows both, though if you were trying to make out the Kph reading you could cause a nasty accident :death:

Well i am presuming it would be illegal as you dont know what speed your doing in Mph unless your a maths brain box to do the sums on the fly.

well i know that 100kmh is about 60mph so i tend to stick to that! i just get used to what the speed is in kmh as oppose to mph. also if i do struggel i got sat nav to follow! but its usually not a problem, i drive wihtout the sat nav now that im used to the speeds!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links