Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing Trailer, Towball Weight

Pjotr

Hola,

Off to France with the trailer full of tent-kitchen-beds-bikes - u name it it on there..

Its a Brenderup 3.1m long x 1.65 wide, proper 13" wheels, unbraked.

What weight should I aim for on the towbar ball?

I know for a Caravan u'd go for % of the van's weight but in this case the overall weight is very low,

the load max is 750kg and I reckon I have maybe 250 on it in total (maybe the off box of wine comin back... :D

Would 30-40 kgs be OK or would I aim for a bit lighter. I appreciate that there has to be some pressure as negative could make it snake.

Any advise welcome.

Hola,

Off to France with the trailer full of tent-kitchen-beds-bikes - u name it it on there..

Its a Brenderup 3.1m long x 1.65 wide, proper 13" wheels, unbraked.

What weight should I aim for on the towbar ball?

I know for a Caravan u'd go for % of the van's weight but in this case the overall weight is very low,

the load max is 750kg and I reckon I have maybe 250 on it in total (maybe the off box of wine comin back... :D

Would 30-40 kgs be OK or would I aim for a bit lighter. I appreciate that there has to be some pressure as negative could make it snake.

Any advise welcome.

Hi,

The match, weight wise, is well within recommendations (85% initially). I think the recommendation re tow hitch load is is 7.5% of weight of trailer (75 kg in your case) if within the max load set by manufacturer of the car. Really don't think you will have a problem given the stats quoted. Not wishing to suggest sucking eggs but, as with me over to France every year with a trailer , not to mention the caravan and 0.5 of a ton jetski in the uk, suggest:-

1. Strip out,check and regrease trailer bearings

2. Carry a suitable spare wheel

3. Ensure you have European breakdown cover which includes the trailer so that rules out Club Toyota!!

Best regards and bon voyage,

J

Many thanks,

the trailer is new, so like to think it'll work ok, and yes have spare on it.

re Club Toyota, they claim the trailer is covered if the car would brake down but

I have other cover as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links