Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheels Leaking

nessie1945

My MR2 T Bar (N reg) seems to have leaks around the rims of the wheels. I have had them sanded by the local garage, but its happened again. They say its age. Can they be refurbished, or do I need new ones. If refurbishment is an option, does anyone know where is a good place in the Braintree/Saffron Walden area?

Take them to another garage. Can't really see how alloy rims would corrode.

Had a similar problem an an old Corolla. That has steel wheels which had rusted. The garage fitted an innertube. This would solve the problem.

Take them to another garage. Can't really see how alloy rims would corrode.

Had a similar problem an an old Corolla. That has steel wheels which had rusted. The garage fitted an innertube. This would solve the problem.

Thanks very much. Funnily enough a friend suggested inner tubes yesterday. I think they must be steel rather than alloy, but will chick it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that alloys can go micro-porous with age and allow the tyres to very slowly loose pressure.

(here mooching around looking at you guys' MR2s - fancying one myself :yes: )

If you sand aluminum without treating afterwards it will always corrode in a very short time.

The best thing to do if you are happy with the wheels is to have them refurbed by either lacquering or powdercoat , powdercoating being the better option ;)

I'd second the powder coating option - far better and they come out like new. Apart from keeping the air in! Have had it done - costs ? I think it was around £40 a wheel. Ask around.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links