Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recirc Dump Valve

disco

hi

i recently took the recirc pipe out and bunged up the hole

so that i could get a nice sound out the engine bay when i done this the valve dumped a few times then the engine stalled, i found it hard to get her started again,when i did i had to keep the revs up to about 2 grand.

I took the dump valve off and cleaned it with carb cleaner, loads of crap came out of it, and the diafram didnt leak when i turned it upside down i fitted the valve again and it seemed better but now and again it stalls.

Has anyone had this problem and can anyone help me out.

does the ecu need a restart because the air is not be recirculated?

or is the dump valve just broke?

cheers

dave

plug it back up to standard, dump to atmosphere only on rev 3 plus cars. Shags the engine on early cars, causes fueling problems.

Put the pipe back on asap. You have the 2nd gen 3SGTE which had an AFM. Put simply your engine will be running lean. You can only disconnect the BOV if you own Rev3+ (94/95 onwards) wich contains the 3rd Gen 3SGTE (which is incidently exactly what ive done on my Rev4 tubby) because the 3rd gen engine contains a MAP sensor.

And also never replace your standard BOV with some fancy aftermarket item on rev1/2 MR2 Turbos. It needs to be a recirc if you do (which would be a bit pointless anyway hehe.)

It's not THAT important to have a recirc bov on a Gen II.....the stock one won't work as you have already found out but an aftermarket one where you can adjust the spring pressure is fine...the reason for this is that the ECU uses the AFM to determine how much fuel to inject into the system and if you blow off a bunch of air that has been metered, then your car is going to run way rich for a few seconds. In some cases, people who go with blow off configurations have stall or hesitation problems caused by the release of metered air. I ran an turbosmart type 1 bov venting to the atmo for 2 years....and since I sold it the new owner has been running it the same 2 years since then.....NO issue's what so ever.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Put simply your engine will be running lean.

I disagree here - your dumping metered air so if anything happens it would cause the car to initially run rich, possibly with a lean period immediately afterwards as the ECU compensates, jury is out on that one.

I had a the vent to air Bailey DV26 on my old 185 which caused no problems of this nature (it did have some problems with leaking on heavy acceleration)

Something I havent tried, but I was thinking could it be because the recirculating valve is not designed to be open to atmosphere? Might be worth considering.

Actully yeah....your right, the result would be a momentary over-rich condition every time the valve opens.

Still I did it for 2 years and 2 since then new owner....no problems what so ever. Everyone here in NZ does it, MR2's run hell rich anyway.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Actully yeah....your right, the result would be a momentary over-rich condition every time the valve opens.

Sorry having read your previous post - you already said what I did.

/me makes mental note - read whole thread before replying :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links