Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica No Spark

mark72

Can anyone help me ? I own a 1995 celica GT,after driving for a short distance if i turn the car off it loses its spark & wont start, after 15-20mins it starts again !! The garage fitted a ignition amplifier but still the same & now they dont no what it is. IF anyone has any ideas i would be much obliged thanks mark72

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone help me ? I own a 1995 celica GT,after driving for a short distance if i turn the car off it loses its spark & wont start, after 15-20mins it starts again !! The garage fitted a ignition amplifier but still the same & now they dont no what it is. IF anyone has any ideas i would be much obliged thanks mark72

it is weird that it works over a time period. all i can suggest is that you start with the Battery. First check with a Heavy Duty tester (not a mulitmeter or fluke) that it is holding a good charge, if it is move on. Next check your HT leads are all giving a good strong spark, this should be a loud crack when held close to the engine block, the colour should be a good bluish as well. if these are fine then check the spark plugs are clean. If dirty check them. If they are black, is it dry or wet. Dry = carbon good clean with a wire brush and ensure the tip is the correct distance fom the ingite point. If it is black and still wet after a min or two the oil is getting in to the cylinder head. most comman fault is piston rings gone. These are the three main reason for loss of ignition, but the flywheel and other problems can occur. If you replace the ht leads should cost around £20 and spark plugs are around £10 plus labour on top. If this does not work then there is a problem in an area where you do need a Qualified mechanic.

I hope this helps and is the main problems. I hope you get it fixed. If not recreate the situation of the non starting and try what i suggest.

J

you sure its spark? sounds more like a pump issue to me....

Spark either work or they dont. if they dont then the dizzy must be duff

Have you got an alarm and immobiliser? next time it does it lock and arm the car and then unlock/arm it and try again.

I'd be very surprised if there is anything wrong with your sparks, HT's or alternator/battery.

Pump, Alarm or Sensor i would put money on

:thumbsup:

I also think that you are looking at fuel, then sensor.

if you are happy that the fuel supply is ok, especially when the problem occurs then I would be looking at the sensor's

No 1 Knock sensor or Crank sensor

No 2 Throttle position sensor

No 3 Air flow meeter or MAF sensor

If you are handy then you can remove clean 1 and 3

Better yet if you can use a test meeter you can test them all.

If your very comfortable with electrics you can tap into the diagnostic port on the car and read the error codes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links