Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealer Says I Need New Ecu?

weekender

Hello... I'm delighted to find this forum...!

I have an 2002 Rav4 (diesel).

If I run the car for anything more than 10 minutes then switch of the engine it won't start unless I leave it 5 to 10 minutes. It turns over but is very weak.

The first time it happened I put it in to a toyota dealer and they replaced the Battery. This helped for about a week and then it started happening again. I put it back in to the garage and they replaced the starter motor. Again, it helped for a few days and then the problem came back.

The garage now says they have checked everything else and the only thing it can be is the ECU. They say it could cost me over a grand to replace or I could try getting it re-programmed. Have any of you ever heard of a problem like this before?

Any help would be much appreciated.

added - just remembered the other 'fault' is that the car is a bit sluggish...

If I run the car for anything more than 10 minutes then switch of the engine it won't start unless I leave it 5 to 10 minutes. It turns over but is very weak.

The first time it happened I put it in to a toyota dealer and they replaced the battery. This helped for about a week and then it started happening again. I put it back in to the garage and they replaced the starter motor. Again, it helped for a few days and then the problem came back.

The garage now says they have checked everything else and the only thing it can be is the ECU. They say it could cost me over a grand to replace or I could try getting it re-programmed. Have any of you ever heard of a problem like this before?

Garages replacing things they think is at fault...typical...all at your cost of course.... :ffs: :ffs:

Sorry cant help you on your problem..one of the more technical minded other owners will be along shortly to offer help and advise...

I am not a mechanic, but it almost sounds like the alternator is cream crackered as the new Battery sorted things for a while. When the cars is running does it have any of the other symptoms like dim headlights and instruments?

They (the garage) say they have checked the alternator. It does always start, its just that I have to leave it 5 minutes.

I've not noticed any dimming of the headlights or instruments.

Hi there.... I also have a 2002 4D4 which has a similar problem to yours, mine will not start after its been run and reached normal operating temperature, it also sounds like the Battery is going flat or the starter is on the way out I have changed both of these to no avail. Once the temp gauge shows a slight drop in temp it will start.

It is also a Turbo Slug and will not pull up any sort of gradient and 0-60 in ten minutes..reading similar posts it appears that the problem is the SCV's on the fuel pump and I have a feeling that changing them might well cure all its little problems

Apart from that its a great vehicle :wacko:

If the engine turns but it turns over slowly (like a flat battery) then it almost certainly is not the ECU. The ECU is merely the engine management computer and does not influence how fast the engine turns. The fact that it has had a new Battery and starter does not tkae them out of the equation - anything can be faulty when new - a TV, a microwave or a Battery and starter.

They should be doing things in a sytematic manner. There is a sequence that should be followed starting with a Battery "drop" test, a starter current check and so on. It will eventually take them to the problem by default. This article by a Toyota technician shows the process as well as any I have come accross.

If they want to throw an ECU at it under warranty let them get on with it but I think they are clutching at straws. A good auto electrician should go straight to it.

Keep us informed.

Good luck

Hi there.... I also have a 2002 4D4 which has a similar problem to yours, mine will not start after its been run and reached normal operating temperature, it also sounds like the battery is going flat or the starter is on the way out I have changed both of these to no avail. Once the temp gauge shows a slight drop in temp it will start.

It is also a Turbo Slug and will not pull up any sort of gradient and 0-60 in ten minutes..reading similar posts it appears that the problem is the SCV's on the fuel pump and I have a feeling that changing them might well cure all its little problems

Apart from that its a great vehicle :wacko:

Yip, that's exactly the same as mine. Any chance you could get your SCV's changed and then tell me if that fixes it! ;)

Many thanks for your post. Its god to hear there are others in the same situation.

If the engine turns but it turns over slowly (like a flat battery) then it almost certainly is not the ECU. The ECU is merely the engine management computer and does not influence how fast the engine turns. The fact that it has had a new battery and starter does not tkae them out of the equation - anything can be faulty when new - a TV, a microwave or a battery and starter.

They should be doing things in a sytematic manner. There is a sequence that should be followed starting with a battery "drop" test, a starter current check and so on. It will eventually take them to the problem by default. This article by a Toyota technician shows the process as well as any I have come accross.

If they want to throw an ECU at it under warranty let them get on with it but I think they are clutching at straws. A good auto electrician should go straight to it.

Keep us informed.

Good luck

Brilliant. Many thanks Anchorman. I was struggling to believe it was the ECU due to the fact that the new Battery and the new starter motor both seemed to cure the problem for a few days.

The SCV valves do throw up a symtom just as described. The new valves come as a matched pair and have gone up considerably in price recently. If it is the vavles at fault, then the price is £195 delivered to any UK address

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

The first time it happened I put it in to a toyota dealer and they replaced the battery. This helped for about a week and then it started happening again. I put it back in to the garage and they replaced the starter motor. Again, it helped for a few days and then the problem came back.

added - just remembered the other 'fault' is that the car is a bit sluggish...

Major bump on this one and apologies for not posting an earlier update.....

I took the car to a local garage (not a dealer) and within an hour they had diagnosed the problem as a corroded terminal... they replaced it and the car worked fine for a couple of months... It started every time even when the engine was warm... splendid...

Now the problem is happening again... I took it back to the same garage who are now perplexed...

What should I try now? SCV valves?

I really don't want to pay a grand for a new ECU and I don't have the face to sell the car on to somebody else (I'm far to honest for that).

Any help much appreciated...

If you are sure that the terminal fixed it I would look at that again to start with.

If you are sure that the terminal fixed it I would look at that again to start with.

The same garage did the fix on the terminal... they have checked that.

I left the car running last night outside the house to try a couple of things I read on other posts. The car got warm (to the temp that normally causes the fault), I switched it off and then tried the engine again... started first time. So the problem only happens if the car is being driven, not when it gets warm standing still. I think I'm going to have to call in a man of the lord to perform an exorcism....

Major bump on this one and apologies for not posting an earlier update.....

Understatement of 2010....major bump :lol: Yes 18 months IS a major bump

I'm with Anchorman, I cant see the ECU being at fault, start with the simple things first, earths and wiring corrosion can cause some very confusing conditions

Understatement of 2010....major bump :lol: Yes 18 months IS a major bump

I'm with Anchorman, I cant see the ECU being at fault, start with the simple things first, earths and wiring corrosion can cause some very confusing conditions

:D to be honest, I was so delighted that it momentarily sorted the problem, I totally forgot about the post. Delighted with the help on here though.... if only all forums were like this!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links