Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 Owners Poll

anchorman

4.2 (2000 to 2005) reliability and satisfaction  

88 members have voted

1. 1. I own one of these vehicles (this allows us to see the sample size so please tick this box if you own a 4.2)

• 2.0 VVTi petrol auto
    • 2.0 VVTi manual
    • 2.0 D4D manual
  2. 2. How do your rate your vehicle - would you recommend one to a new owner? (please select ONE of the following)

• I think it was a terrible mistake
    • It's OK but nothing special - gets me from A to B
    • I am very pleased with it and would recommend you buy one
  3. 3. I have had an issue with one or more of the following known or general problems (please tick as many boxes as applicable) NOTE; PLEASE CHECK ALL THE OPTIONS AS SOME ARE SPECIFIC TO PETROL OR DIESEL

• VVTi Auto transmission
    • VVTi Manual transmission
    • VVTi Clutch
    • VVTi Engine management (including engine warning light) or emission systems, oxygen sensor or fuel problems
    • VVTi Water pump, drive belt/tensioners or other engine issue
    • VVTi Battery or starter problems
    • 2.0 D4D Transmission
    • 2.0 D4D DMF (dual mass flywheel)
    • 2.0 D4D Turbo or associated equipment (pressure sensor or VSV)
    • 2.0 D4D Timing belt tensioners, water pump or other engine equipment
    • 2.0 D4D SCV valves
    • 2.0 D4D Fuel injection (complete pump, rail, injectors) or other fuel problem
    • 2.0 D4D Battery or starter problems
    • General brake problems
    • General electrical problems
    • General body (water leaks corrosion etc)
    • General paint (poor match, easily marked etc)
    • General misc (interior, ICE, alarm immobiliser or anything not above)
    • General steering and suspension problems
    • No issues - trouble free

It would be nice to know just how we are finding our RAVs so please vote in this poll if you own a 4.2.

Please select which model you have and then tick as many of the issues that you have had any issues with.

I guess the percentages will be for the whole poll but you can soon work out for example how many of our 2.0 D4D owners have has an issue with the DMF. We need as many owners as possible to take part before the picture starts to emerge so please join in.

You can then add a post to detail any specific problems or experiences you want to share as the poll doesn't allow enough detail.

I will generate one for 4.3s soon and maybe 4.1s at a later date.

Cheers

:g: At this point in time, three diesel owners only and somebody has had an issue with VVTi EMS??? Yep, :yes: I can see that you probably would :D.

What about us previous 4.2 owners, do you want our input as well?

Anchorman I'd love to vote on behalf of my better half but there's no (built to a budget) 2wd 1.8 VVTi to vote for!! :crybaby:

shcm

Nice avitar! Odd mistakes are inevitable! I guess the trouble is that once you've added something its not possible to change it. I will add a warning to check the options first! I think anyone who has had one can add their info so we can build up a big enough database so please go ahead.

Robert

I think for the purpose of this exercise, you could fill in for 2.0 manual. It is virtually the same without the transfer and diff'. Unfortunately there isn't enough options. It would be interesting to add how many miles each car has done and what is the typical annual mileage etc.

If anyone can suggest any way of improving it feel free to suggest! I might be missing a way of expanding it. If it looks as though it is going to be useful I will ask to have it pinned.

If anyone wants to add a post to discuss their experiences then go ahead.

I am also looking forward to seeing something for the 4.3s - coming soon!!!

At this point in time, three diesel owners only and somebody has had an issue with VVTi EMS??? Yep, I can see that you probably would .

Yup - I noticed that - need to remove 1 VVTi EMS vote (wasn't me and I am only VVT-I owner that voted so far)

It won't let me vote.

Seems to want me to tick at least one of the "issues" boxes.

I haven't had any "issues" at all with mine.

It won't let me vote.

Seems to want me to tick at least one of the "issues" boxes.

I haven't had any "issues" at all with mine.

Me too

It seems that the poll needs a response for "any issues" so I've grouped the steering and suspension into one (I can only enter 20 categories) and added a "no issues" category.

Can Plutus and Redlew please try again?

Cheers

Robert

I think for the purpose of this exercise, you could fill in for 2.0 manual. It is virtually the same without the transfer and diff'. Unfortunately there isn't enough options.

Thanks Anchorman - done :thumbsup:

It will be interesting to see how many owners have problems with the paint, as I find this is the worst aspect of the car, addmitedly its black, but it has picked up so many scratches, even a back to black and autoglym finishing polish have little effect ! :( :artist:

Done for me old one :thumbsup: (still miss it :crybaby: )

Done for me old one :thumbsup: (still miss it :crybaby: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the force is strong in this one.............. :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman:

We all know the 4.2 model is the better looking one.....

Again, cheers Fuj'.

So far a good number of votes show a fairly mixed bag of issues but thankfully spread thinly - so nothing jumps out as a big problem. These vehicles are also getting some age and mileage unlike most 4.3s which may have "something" waiting to show up.

The durability of the paint seems to be an issue with both 4.2 and 4.3 alike. I personally don't think this is specific to RAVs unless somebody has some experience of other brands?

It would seem that the 4.2s are an overwhelming success in terms of overall satisfaction :thumbsup:

Hopefully these threads will prove helpful to potential buyers so keep the votes coming folks.

I've only put down oxygen sensor as it needed a visit to the dealer to be fixed, the Battery failed after 3 years but thats not a defect/problem ,just wear & tear :)

• 3 weeks later...

Only owned car a week, but I know the previous owner had the oxygen sensor replaced so I put that.

Unfortunately after voting I noticed the option for paintwork, and as I've spent about 4 hours today with paint renovator trying (mostly sucsesfully) to remove scratches especially in the cupped area behind each of the door handles, would it be possible for some one to add that in for me.

Pete

Maybe a mod can but these discussion posts make a good point of "extras".

there are some quite worrying things in the results .....

1 in 2 of VVTi's have Engine Management Issues :eek:

over 1 in 4 of Diesels have had DMF issues :eek:

• 1 month later...

29% of diesels have had DMF issues according to this poll... and presumably there are some that have not failed yet but will do, so we could expect the true % of diesel engines that at some point require a £1700 DMF replacement to be around 40-50%?

So much for the guy in the pinned topic who kept saying this was a "rare problem"!

29% of diesels have had DMF issues according to this poll... and presumably there are some that have not failed yet but will do, so we could expect the true % of diesel engines that at some point require a £1700 DMF replacement to be around 40-50%?

So much for the guy in the pinned topic who kept saying this was a "rare problem"!

it is a worrying statistic, knowing that at some point the DMF will go...

You have to be careful when looking at the numbers. Without a doubt some members with RAV4s got to know about this forum because a DMF problem inspired them to search the internet. What we cannot determin at this stage is what the real picture is in terms of the ratio of diesels that suffer DMF problems.

The bigger the sample size the more representative the numbers become but I would suggest that at this size the result could well be weighted towards DMF failure. Maybe I am wrong - I'm sure Toyota have some better statistics but the chances of us getting to see them are probably "remote"!!!

I would also like to see the same survey done on other makes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links