Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 Owners Poll

anchorman

4.2 (2000 to 2005) reliability and satisfaction  

88 members have voted

1. 1. I own one of these vehicles (this allows us to see the sample size so please tick this box if you own a 4.2)

• 2.0 VVTi petrol auto
    • 2.0 VVTi manual
    • 2.0 D4D manual
  2. 2. How do your rate your vehicle - would you recommend one to a new owner? (please select ONE of the following)

• I think it was a terrible mistake
    • It's OK but nothing special - gets me from A to B
    • I am very pleased with it and would recommend you buy one
  3. 3. I have had an issue with one or more of the following known or general problems (please tick as many boxes as applicable) NOTE; PLEASE CHECK ALL THE OPTIONS AS SOME ARE SPECIFIC TO PETROL OR DIESEL

• VVTi Auto transmission
    • VVTi Manual transmission
    • VVTi Clutch
    • VVTi Engine management (including engine warning light) or emission systems, oxygen sensor or fuel problems
    • VVTi Water pump, drive belt/tensioners or other engine issue
    • VVTi Battery or starter problems
    • 2.0 D4D Transmission
    • 2.0 D4D DMF (dual mass flywheel)
    • 2.0 D4D Turbo or associated equipment (pressure sensor or VSV)
    • 2.0 D4D Timing belt tensioners, water pump or other engine equipment
    • 2.0 D4D SCV valves
    • 2.0 D4D Fuel injection (complete pump, rail, injectors) or other fuel problem
    • 2.0 D4D Battery or starter problems
    • General brake problems
    • General electrical problems
    • General body (water leaks corrosion etc)
    • General paint (poor match, easily marked etc)
    • General misc (interior, ICE, alarm immobiliser or anything not above)
    • General steering and suspension problems
    • No issues - trouble free

Any poll like this is inevitably self-selecting with the respondents being either car enthusiasts or those people who have had problems and, as Anchorman says, looking for information - and the more expensive the problem, the more they are likely to look :)

it is a shame that the Diesel engine has not made any inroads into the US passenger car market, as then there would be masses of comparative info to see - and probably a few class actions against every car maker as well B)

As most on here know i am not mechanical, but i have driven an awful lot of miles, about 2000,000 in a lot of different vehicles mostly diesel, and it seems to me the more we try to make our diesels perform like petrol vehicles in terms of performance the more problems we have, i have over the last 18yrs driven 4 different engined black cabs avg 50,000 mpa, of the last 3 the oldest has a 2.7 normally aspirated diesel(nissan) and this was and still is almost fault free despite rediculous mileages, next came the ford 2.4 duratorque turbo, this has been a disaster going through dmfs at sometimes 20000m intervals and all sorts of timing belt/chain? problems, some owners have literally welded dmfs up so they are solid, but then this leads to transmission drive train problems, we now have a VM italian engine used by Chrysler, this has only been out about 2yrs + was fitted with a stronger crank to cope with the extra abuse cabs get, recently a fault has apeared on the EGR unit causing serious engine fires on some vehicles, and now are being fitted with an underbonnet sprinkler system.. The point i am making is that this DMF issue is not just a Toyota problem, IMO it is because of the massive torque that our modern diesels are expected to produce, all manufacturers have problems and i think Toyota have fewer than most :yawn:

• 1 year later...

Bump.

As I said on another thread I would bump this one back up, some newer members seem interested on faults

experienced by other Rav owners. Bear in mind though, some people join the forum to get answers to problems

they are having, then you never hear of them again. So it probably isn't a true reflection of how reliable your

Rav actually is, plus as you can see it has been forgotten about.

Anchorman, maybe could do with a bit of updating ? maybe add the other models ?

I wonder how many people who voted no issues were like me and crossed their fingers whilst doing so!

As soon as I get chance I will modify the list to add faults that have come to light more recently (e.g. fuel filter head).

• 2 weeks later...
As soon as I get chance I will modify the list to add faults that have come to light more recently (e.g. fuel filter head).

It would be interesting to see what was causing the engine management issue for the VVTi's too - I had a llamba (oxygen) sensor go and according to the RAC man and the Toyota dealer this is quite a common fault, but generally the only one - fingers crossed.

AA and RAC patrols have both separately have said to me that generally the only thing to go wrong with RAV 4.2s are batteries and tyres (had a flat Battery - lights left on when chatting :rolleyes: ).

In general, its been reliable other than for three o2 sensors that have had to be replaced - but it seems to be a common thing so thats no bigie.

The only thing that has been a negative is the speedometer fault. The first time it happened, was 2nd year of owning it - driving locally. The last time it happenned, was a few weeks back on the motorway. Doing motorway speeds only to find the needle pointing to 0mph is scary. SatNav speed reading saved me that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Have voted.

I havent been on here in a while as the Rav is SWMBO's car but so far 4 months of Very Happy motoring and no faults. Having said that my only critasism is it's a bugger to wash the roof (I'm quite short) :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links