Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drivers Face Fines For Expired Licences

Pat2u

Drivers face fines for expired licences A massive 300,000 photo card licences are due to expire in the next 12 months, yet a significant proportion of drivers are unaware that the new photo-style licences require updating every 10 years.

Unlike the superseded paper licence, which was valid 'for life', the new identity card versions feature a 'valid until' date, at which time motorists must Shell out an extra £17.50 for a new card. It's thought that a lot of drivers are not aware of this requirement.

This summer marked the 10th anniversary of the introduction of the new photo card licence and of the cards due for update a massive 28% are still outstanding, according to the DVLA. These drivers could face a £1,000 fine if asked to surrender the licence.

Though the expiry date is printed on the front of the photo cards, it can only be identified as such when the owner turns the card over and reads the small print.

Making matters more confusing is the presence on the back of the cards of a date until which time the motorists is registered to hold the licence - their 70th birthday.

According to the DVLA, reminders will now be sent to drivers with photo cards due to expire, while the Association of British Insurers has confirmed that insurance cover is unaffected by an expired photo card.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-expire.html

I still got my old paper one never had a new un.

Well i only look 14 on my card!

Its a good thing as far as im concerned as you change alot in the period of 10 years, especially if your going from 16/17 to the late 20's mark.

All drivers should be also re-tested at this 10 year stage to see if your actually worthy of keeping it, as im sure a large percentage are not!

Oh Well, I'm alright for another 9 years, having moved in the last year and finally swopped my old paper one for my first paper licence.

I still have my original little red book licence somewhere,- shows how long I've been driving :unsure:

You still look 14 now m8... had a shave this year yet?

:lol:

Nope, still cultivating a vauge !Removed! 'tache

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links