Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav

pblythswood

Hi all,

After an MR2 for a number of years we are now the proud owner of a RAV4 T180, pretty awesome motor I have to say, but and there always a but, that sat nav !!!!!

Overly complicated, 4 character post code, can't even find my phone number as a test, and I've lived at my current house for 8 years, truly aweful. This is the 2005/6 version

So, little moan over, does anyone know if and if there'll be a 2008/9 version ( have searched online but can't find any info) or are there any alternatives available. I have a brilliant Garmin nuvi 255, highly accurate, but would really like to use the built in one rather than stick the nuvi to the wind screen.

Any info appreciated.

Regards

Paul

OEM built in ones are more limited then the ones that stick on the screen and which cost 1/4 the price - go figure!

I disagree.

My OEM one is better then any stick on one I've used yet.. the fact that its properly integrated, mutes the stereo and I don't have to worry about using the lighter as a power source, or crack heads stealing it make it even better! plus I have a real thing about "stuff that looks stuck on"

Can't you upgrade the software and maps on the Rav4 one???

the lack of full postcode entry is a bit annoying though, don't you think?

Note I did say "limited", not worse ;) and was in response to the point about Postcodes - how many letters in the postcode does your beemer sat nav allow? all 7?

From the factory, none,

But using the latest maps (2008-2) and the latest software update, it allows all 7. It also acts as a GPS "safety" camera alerting device ;)

All you need to do to update the software is stick in an update CD and the Maps are contained on a DVD anyway. (Which an unscrupulous person might acquire from the magnificent interweb, not me, obviously!!!)

I can't speak for other factory systems but I'd imagine they'd all be much of a muchness!! - My unit is made by Alpine anyway! (Pre iDrive... Thank god!)

I fitted a Honda Sat-Nav to my HR-V and although it was more limited then the TomTom I have now, I still did much prefer it for all the reasons you have stated - just a bit annoying that you pay so much for these integrated units and either accept their shortfalls or pay extra on top to get them up to spec

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links