Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slow Cranking And Knocking

nistec

My Yaris T Sport has developed two problems over the last few weeks.

1) when i turn the steering left to right on the spot there is a knocking noise

2) when i go to start the car it cranks really slow like the Battery is flat, then speeds up bit by but and eventually starts after maybe 5/6 cranks

Anybody any ideas what these problems may be? It seems i am having nothing but problems with this car lately

My Yaris T Sport has developed two problems over the last few weeks.

1) when i turn the steering left to right on the spot there is a knocking noise

2) when i go to start the car it cranks really slow like the battery is flat, then speeds up bit by but and eventually starts after maybe 5/6 cranks

Anybody any ideas what these problems may be? It seems i am having nothing but problems with this car lately

Hi

1. track rod ends or bottom ball joints faulty

2. Battery worn out, starter motor going or alternator not charging

Pete

Bit of an update...

Had the Battery off today to top up the fluids and give it a good charge.

When i have come to retest it it still wont start. It now cranks over at a slower speed than it should and fails to start for maybe 20 seconds, almost like a fuel or ignition problem.

Im a mechanic by trade but cant get to my tools/testers as ive been made redundent, grrrr!!!

I brought my tools home from work last night and had a good look into it. Turned out to be the Battery.

Tested Battery voltage and it was at 12.5 as normal, but when i cranked the vehicle it dropped to below 6v. This left either the Battery or the starter. I put a booster on and it started fine so i replaced the battery and its problem solved.

I brought my tools home from work last night and had a good look into it. Turned out to be the battery.

Tested battery voltage and it was at 12.5 as normal, but when i cranked the vehicle it dropped to below 6v. This left either the battery or the starter. I put a booster on and it started fine so i replaced the battery and its problem solved.

I was just gonna say tis the Battery, sir!

My driving school one had a slightly slower crank speed than my own car, then just stopped working after turning off after heavy use. (lights, heated window, wipers, etc) The man from the RAC said they do that, just suddenly give up the ghost!

It was probably the original fitment too, judging by the make.

Warning to you all, there! If the car is 5-6 years old, be prepared to get a a new one soon.

BTW, the RAC man also pointed out, nearly ALL the call outs for Toyota's (spesh the Yaris) Are either Battery failiure, or punctures! Not too bad, wouldnt you say?

BTW, the RAC man also pointed out, nearly ALL the call outs for Toyota's (spesh the Yaris) Are either battery failiure, or punctures! Not too bad, wouldnt you say?

Even Toyota batteries last longer than many other units - mine lasted for 7 years, with casual winter starts in -20 degrees after having been sitting for a while.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links