Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Converting Yaris From Kmh To Mph

stinkyxx

I've inherited a 05 Toyota Yaris VVTI and just driven it (well via on the ferry) to the UK. Very nice car and I'm astonished I managed to get just under 50mpg. Anyway I've got it booked in for an MOT tomorrow and need to figure out how to convert the speedo to mph any ideas ? Have tried usual male technique of pressing every button i can find but no luck so far..

Any help much appreciated..

Stinkyx

If it's got the digital dash, look just beneath it in the 'pod' and there should be a button to switch beween them.

thanks for your help.. it has got the digital dash.. beneath the pod are two buttons but neither change the speed readout from kmh to mph as far as i can manage.. ODO button changes between total mileage and trip mileage and the other changes the display brightness. Is it these buttons you mean or am i looking in the wrong place ?

Try holding the button down for a few seconds and that should do it :P

have tried pressing and holding but still no luck..

oh well in the garage now to see if they can figure it out..

Hi, is your Yaris an import? you said you drove it of the boat? If it is then you'll have the same problem as myself, you'll have to change the speedometer.

Yaris's from outside the UK can't change between Kph and Mph unless it's 05 or older, mine's an 06.

Good luck

If you do need the speedo changed try here http://www.ncs-systems.com/index.php

thanks for your reply.. it is an import from the republic of ireland.. its an 05 car..

have downloaded some wiring diagrams from a link at the top of this board and trying to make sense of them.. but nothing jumping out at me (plus they seem a couple of years out of date)..

Hi as far as i know yours should be able to change then,think it's the new shape that can't change. mine's an 06 so have to have speedo changed, i'm having so much hassle re registering it!!

Try asking on this forum http://www.boards.ie/ it's an irish forum and in the motor section there's lots of people with good advice!!!

Good luck

Finding out what you mean about the hassle of importing.. definatley not a simple, clear cut process !

Keep getting different stories from different people.. have you managed to get a certificate of conformity ?

Looks like h/w needed to change the speedo as well..

Hi

I received my Certificate of Conformity this morning, was having hassle getting it, even getting someone to understand what i was on about!!! In the end I contacted my Local Toyota dealer back in Ireland and he contacted Toyota Ireland for me and i got it this morn!!

I also drove to derby yesterday and got ncs ( the link i put in another reply to you) to convert it to mph, cost £235 but cheaper than Toyota doing it, they said they could give me new speedometer for £800 but no garantees!!!

So I think i have everything I need now to re reg, I hope so anyway.

Gool luck with yours :)

No LHD can change from kilometres to miles per hour, not all RHDs either.

It is all fun and games isn't it.. i've ended up talking today to toyota head office ireland and they seem to be the source of the certificates..

Can't get my head round the speedo stuff.. it must be software controlled and can't believe it needs hardware modification to change over.. beginining to question if i actually need to convert.. got an MOT today with it in km..

Anyone know if its legal to stick with it in kmh ?

further update.. went to toyota dealer and asked for some advice..

expert verdict was there must be something wrong with the car.. leave it with us and well try and find the problem ??

ho hum..

• 6 months later...

Stinkyxx - I'm in a similar situation - about to import a LHD '04 Yaris D4D from Spain to the UK. I think I'll also need to change the rear lamp clusters so that the rear fog light is on the RHS instead of the LHS.

I assume that once your car had the MOT that nobody bothered about the kph/mph issue again?

Just in case I need to take care of it, though, has anyone used the SpeedM8 Electronic KMH To MPH Converter from http://www.ncs-systems.com/index.php successfully on a Yaris of this vintage?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

The speedo on my 57 plate D4D changed from mph to kph after being serviced by a main dealer, possibly after the Battery was disconnected. The change back was simple, as follows:-

Use the right hand button to switch to display odometer (ie not trip meters A/B.
Press the button again and hold for a few seconds until the display changes

It would be helpful for this to have been included in section 1-6 of the drivers handbook.

It's actually quite a common problem on 57 and 08 cars caused by some bad software. Ours regularly switches to Km while on the road and will often start up in Km if the doors have been left open for a while. E.g. for cleaning. The local dealer just keeps saying it's not a fault but a feature and Toyota are their usual complacent selves!

• 5 months later...

To

The member from Bath / Bristol ( number 76559 " fatdriver)

I Have found your notes on changing an import yaris from KMPH to MPH .

I have had the same experience trying to import a Yaris Verso from Italy . If you do read this note I would be grateful if you could let me know the gadget you fitted to satisfy the IVA test

Also you may have some of the answers to the many questions on the DVLA form 55/5 and the VOSA form 753 for the IVA .

I have realised that it is not possible to get a Cert of Comformity from Toyota Italy .

I am hoping that someone who has already changed plates can help.

Many thanks to anyone who can help

George

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links