Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo As A Daily Driver?

Tyranical

I'm in my final year of my apprenticeship and now earning £900 per month, i drive approximately 300 miles per week to work and back and runaround to girlfriends and whatnot, most of it is done on A and B roads.

Would i be able to afford to run a turbo, including all the maintenance costs and whatnot that go with it? When i say run, that 900 quid has to last me for takeaways, cinema, clothes etc and all the other stuff people who live at home with their parents have to pay (no mortgage or bills at least!) oh and saving up for a holiday abroad or 2 next year.

I know this question cannot really be answered 100% correctly because it depends on all sorts of things e.g. how heavy my foot is, if things go wrong on the car and what needs replacing etc but just thought i'd get some opinions and thoughts on it because i don't want to buy a turbo if its going to lead to me having to miss out on other things because of the car.

For the question lets assume the turbo i buy has been well looked after with service history etc. Well lets not assume that, i wouldn't buy anything less!

Cheers,

Matt

I'm in my final year of my apprenticeship and now earning £900 per month, i drive approximately 300 miles per week to work and back and runaround to girlfriends and whatnot, most of it is done on A and B roads.

Would i be able to afford to run a turbo, including all the maintenance costs and whatnot that go with it? When i say run, that 900 quid has to last me for takeaways, cinema, clothes etc and all the other stuff people who live at home with their parents have to pay (no mortgage or bills at least!) oh and saving up for a holiday abroad or 2 next year.

I know this question cannot really be answered 100% correctly because it depends on all sorts of things e.g. how heavy my foot is, if things go wrong on the car and what needs replacing etc but just thought i'd get some opinions and thoughts on it because i don't want to buy a turbo if its going to lead to me having to miss out on other things because of the car.

For the question lets assume the turbo i buy has been well looked after with service history etc. Well lets not assume that, i wouldn't buy anything less!

Cheers,

Matt

Easy dude you will have to learn to control your foot. I do 60 miles a day for work i work 4 days a week and alnternate weekends i do roughly about 300 to 320 a week you will want at least 55 quid a week for fuel. If you treat your fuel nice you will get good mileage from that and also your tyres dont buy cheap ***** tyres iv run continentals sport contacts and potezas they usually last about 8 to 10 thousand.

Tyres about every 6 to 8 months (I use part worns but look brand new when fitted i pay 60 quid for 2 17's fitted)

Brake pads and discs are abit pricey about 15 quid for pads and about 80 to a 100 quid for decent set of discs

Service plugs oils filters (Get an induction kit turbo spool up is great and last longer if looked after) Should cost about 50 to 60 quid if you can get a Halfords trade card service will cost you 12 quid for plugs NGK BCR7ES (Thease are colder grage for better performance) Oil filter same as the N/A think is about 2 quid on trade Dunno about air as i have an apexi

Turbos are quite prone to eating ingnition parts rotor arms leands dizzy caps (leads are mega expensive) dizzy cap and arms are about 6 or 7 quid each

I give my fuels system a good flush out every 4 thousand just wynnes stuff again 4 quid on a trade card and keeps it running tiptop.

The only thing i would say you are buying 10 to 12 year old sports car so parts can be expensive especially when they go wrong Cambelts need doing evey 60k thats drop the engine so some bills can be expensive unless your gonna get your hands dirty. More Common thing that go wrong are droplinks brake pistons seize

I would say The first pay packet unless all the service and ignition parts have been replaced and have proof would change them all then you should be good for fuel econamy and about 20 to30 thousand miles except for services every 5 thousand.

Gen running costs per month 220 sounds expensive but you prob put in 45 to 50 in your yaris so it aint that bad and you will have the biggest smile on your face everytime you get in it

Hope this helps sorry for the essay

Daz :thumbsup:

As long as your doing decent millage to and fro from work it should be reasonable.

Ive used mine on daily work haul in the past but was only doing 6/7 miles there and the same back, and unless you sit for 5/10 minutes waiting for the engine to warm (and i cant get up on time for love nor money :lol: ) then i found it went at least halfway on the cold start, and did 11mpg if i was lucky :lol:

Plus it bothered with me running it rich alot of the time that the cylinder walls could start to suffer :)

• 2 weeks later...

im a second year apprentice earning £600 a month ISH

long as you pick up a good one maintance isnt to bad end of the day its jap just put your spare money aways for any problems

same as yourself i went from a yaris to the mr2 turbo best decision ive ever mate they are unreal!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links