Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Display Lights And Audio Help (replacing Cassette Player) Please?

Coruscate

Hey all!

Brand new member here, just got my first car a month ago - lovely bright red Yaris 5d 1L X reg from 2000 :)

However I'm noticing a couple of slight issues but don't have a clue about cars at all and she's due in for MOT end of this month so if I can come and pick your brains that would be great :) I've had a look about but can't see anything recent and I'm still trying to get my hands on a manual.

I have the same dash as here (nicked from another thread sorry!)

11092008176.jpg

Issues with the display:

- When I press the MPG button, all that comes up is *blank* MPG, no figures at all, I saw in a thread that this happened to someone after they changed their Battery?

- The icon that lights up when I have headlights on isn't appearing anymore - just stopped one day when I was driving along in torrential rain - got the fright of my life worrying that my headlights weren't on and other drivers weren't able to see me!

- I KNOW I have fuel but sometimes the fuel bar will go to the lowest bar and blink, dead annoying cos I can't risk just guessing how much I have (do an 80 mile round trip every day) and have to go fill up a bit just to get it to show the real amount.

Also a side on question now I'm going on about lights, to put the fogs on I pull back on the lever, but it doesn't stick, is this just the way it is with the Yaris? You have to keep holding it back for the fog lights? Bit of a hassle!

And now the audio question, because there's an in built cassette player, does the whole dash need taking out to put in a CD player? I phoned my local dealership but none of the mechanics are in so just wondering if anyone here has paid for this to be done and how much it cost in time and money.

Much appreciated for any help, I wish +++MPG on you :D

Poss faulty display for all your probs above, or loose/poor connection somewhere.

The lights......you turn the front&rear fog lights on by twisting the stalk - im guessing when you say 'fog lights' you actually mean the high beam?

If you pull the stalk back then this is only the high beam you are flashing, to keep it on you must push it forward - it will stay in this position until you pull it back again.

To remove the cassette player unit you need to -

Remove the heater control knobs (just pull off)

Behind here is a screw

With that out give the whole facia a good pull (part with centre vents/radio/heater controls)

Behind this you will find 2 screws at top and 2 screws behind the ashtray.

With these out the cassette and surround will pull out.

Been a while since i have worked on an old shape Yaris but thats pretty much how it goes.

Mart.

Thanks for the reply, Mart. I'm not brave enough to try and change the player myself but I might resort to it and give it a bash, Toyota dealership quoted me £120 to do it :|

Thanks for the reply, Mart. I'm not brave enough to try and change the player myself but I might resort to it and give it a bash, Toyota dealership quoted me £120 to do it :|

Hi, I would reccomend you get a Haynes manual, from somewhere like Halfords as they are very handy for this sort of thing!

Also, yeah, you are using the 'flash' part of main beam, not foggies!

The rear fog operates from the dimpled ring on the light stalk. Give it a twist away from you and the single rear will come on. This can only be done with the normal lights turned on and will automatically go off when you turn the lights off, if you forget to twist it back off yourself!

I beleive you can make a fairly simple swap from cassette to cd player if you can get one off eBay or a scrappie, but dont quote me on it!

Also, the loose connection issue MAY also be from the instrument binnicle itself as the wires plug in quite simply to the underside of it. Again, the manual should help you remove that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links