Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More Help Pls.

Calisto

OK now I have the sump gasket getting all sorted. :P

I now have a more pressing problem I need advice on.

My car starts idling at 1000rpm then as time passes goes down to 500rpm and then fluctuates between the 2. I can hear air/wooshing sound coming from the engine, and recently it seems like she wants to stall eeeek starts juddering then sorts it out and continues. She seems a bit sluggish.

Recently had new rotor arm and dizzy cap... brand new alternator put on, didn't need new spark plugs...my old ones were still good, and didn't replace HT leads.

Any ideas?

Wont be anything to do with the Lambda. The lambda controls A/F and not the idle

You have an idle issue and also can hear air passing, which would lead me to believe you have some issue with your throttle body and in particular the ICV bolted to it underneath. They can clogg up and stick open, so you need to take the TB off, unscrew the ICV and make sure the ICV flap opens and closes properly, you can either do this by pushing the flap with a screwdriver or connecting it to 12V

Other than this, you may have a vacuum leak

Wont be anything to do with the Lambda. The lambda controls A/F and not the idle

You have an idle issue and also can hear air passing, which would lead me to believe you have some issue with your throttle body and in particular the ICV bolted to it underneath. They can clogg up and stick open, so you need to take the TB off, unscrew the ICV and make sure the ICV flap opens and closes properly, you can either do this by pushing the flap with a screwdriver or connecting it to 12V

Other than this, you may have a vacuum leak

The issues on my car with the O2 sensor (Lambda) fault, did cause a tick over problem, when the sensor began to fail the ECU was getting a "Lean mixture" reading, causing it to bang in more fuel, this made it rev higher, initially which after a while settled down, when the sensor expired completely it just kept emptying more fuel into the engine causing it to misfire and eventually destroyed my cat. :(

On the mk2 les, the lambda isnt really critical, the only real way it will stop the car from working as it should is if the terminals on the lambda are shorted out, and this CANNOT happen on asha's rev 1, as hers is a 1 wire lambda (infact she may not even have a lambda, as many rev-1's came without them! :) )

I have run my mr2 with no lambda, with a faulty lambda and with a working lambda, the only effect it will have is emmissions and the MPG you get back :)

I am very confident her issues are with either the TB or there is a vacuum leak (split hose etc)

On the mk2 les, the lambda isnt really critical, the only real way it will stop the car from working as it should is if the terminals on the lambda are shorted out, and this CANNOT happen on asha's rev 1, as hers is a 1 wire lambda :)

I have run my mr2 with no lambda, with a faulty lambda and with a working lambda, the only effect it will have is emmissions and the MPG you get back :)

I am very confident her issues are with either the TB or there is a vacuum leak (split hose etc)

Improving the technology isn't always beneficial when it goes wrong then is it ;)

On the mk2 les, the lambda isnt really critical, the only real way it will stop the car from working as it should is if the terminals on the lambda are shorted out, and this CANNOT happen on asha's rev 1, as hers is a 1 wire lambda (infact she may not even have a lambda, as many rev-1's came without them! :) )

Ahh thats interesting... I didnt realise the rev1 / rev2 had different lambdas... as Mike has had an idling problem with his before.. changed it and it helped... and mine has shorted (well hey... the whole connector block got melted to my exhaust! hehe)

Yeah can deffo vouch for that... running mine without lambda stank! and petrol consumption was incredibly bad... but she still seemed to idle ok

the rev 1 and 2 is a 4 wire lambda (changed a few of them now) the tubbie i believe is different.

to me it sounds more like a vaccume leak somewhere in the system.

if i were you when its at mike keep the engine running and get a blow torch, DO NOT LIGHT IT just turning so the gas comes out and pass it over the vacumme system, if the engine note changes then its sucking soe of the gas in and thats the leak.

i dont think it will be too bad hun, clean the throttle body as well as said above it will help

• 2 weeks later...

Throttle body very sticky with black stuff but alllll clean now, and it has helped fix a bit of the problem. I can still hear air wooshing but only sometimes, and she idles more or less spot on, but still feels like she wants to stall.

She is not as good as she could be.....I still have to push her hard to get any revs. :(

Could she have blown an injector?? no idea what this means though......anyone want to give me a quick lesson?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links